Softmod Depot
April 26, 2024, 01:00:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length
News: 10.23.09 - The website is fully operational again. Thank you for the patience as we put everything back together. Check out the forums for more information if you are curious.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Run Windows 98 on the Xbox  (Read 21288 times)
drfweega
« on: November 07, 2006, 10:55:18 AM »

Tutorial taken from http://pspold.qj.net/windows-98-on-xbox.html

Run Windows 98 on the Xbox!

This has nothing to do with PSP so why is it posted here? Well that’s because I’m the one that have made this discovery. There are other ways to get Windows 98 working on Xbox but they use Bochs to get Windows working. This tutorial uses Qemu which is many times faster than Bochs. This makes it fast enough to be useable.

Qemu isn’t new so why hasn’t anyone run Windows this way before?
Because before Xdsl was ported, all available Linux distributions where big memory hungry things that could barely run them self.

How fast is it then?
I used to have a 233 MHz computer with 32 MB RAM. This runs a little slower than that but not much.

Why would I want to run Windows on my Xbox?
Because you can!

Is it legal?
All software used is free except Windows 98 which most people have an old copy of. So yes it should be legal.

Do I need to know Linux to be able to follow the tutorial?
No

What do I need to get this working?
A modded Xbox
A Windows 98 CD (preferably Windows98 SE as its supposable more stable and boots from CD)

READ FIRST: This is how I got Windows 98 working. There is no guarantee that it will work for you as there are apparently many different version of Windows 98.

STEP 1: Download Xdsl which can be found here. (You will need to register)

STEP 2: Install Xdsl. From the Xdsl readme:
Copy the KNOPPIX folder and linuxboot.cfg to the root of the XBOX E drive. Copy the default.xbe somewhere where it will be picked up by your dashboard/boot method. Note if linuxboot.cfg already exists from another Xbox-linux installation, just copy the contents of the linuxboot.cfg in this archive onto the end of the existing file to allow you to dual boot.

STEP 3: Run it to see that every thing works. From the Xdsl readme:Run default.xbe and choose FatX (E:). Once booted the DSL XBOX Edition should behave exactly as Damn Small Linux.

STEP 4: Make an iso image of your Windows cd. You can do this with alcohol 120%. Name it win98.iso (this is important)

STEP 5: Download (Hosted by Ry) a kit I made to make it easier. Extract the files. Put the Windows iso into the same folder.

STEP 6: Double click on the Start.bat file. Then follow the pictures.

The window should look like this. Now type 98lite.exe and press enter.

Now 98lite boots. At the first question just press enter. On the second question press R.

It copies some files and then shows this screen. Press 1.

It shows this screen next. Press 1 here too.

Ones 98lite is finished it shows a screen that looks something like this. Press enter here.

STEP 7: Now the Windows 98 installation should start. Nothing special here just run it as you would if installing on a computer.

STEP 8: After you have installed windows make a back-up of win98.img if something would go wrong. Now run Start.bat. This should boot up Windows.  You can shut it down again when you know that it works. Remove the logo.sys file from C:\ if you want the original bootup logo. Also if you don’t have a keyboard for your Xbox now is the time to download one. I know the one at http://www.lakefolks.org/cnt/ works.

STEP 9: Now it’s time to try it on the xbox. Copy the qemu folder, win98.img and 98.sh from the kit you downloaded to your Xbox’s E: folder.

STEP 10: Now run Xdsl as in step 3. Ones booted open xterminal and type sh /cdrom/98.sh. Windows should boot.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2006, 11:01:23 AM by Dr Fweega » Logged
Boost
Softmod Elite
Administrator
Sr. Modder

yeah, we can do that

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2006, 08:28:06 AM »

Sweeeeeeet

I just got wood reading it.

good stuff
BOOST

Sig Built by BOOST

Kyla666 (zzk2001)
Administrator
Super Modder

Kicking ass

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2006, 02:01:00 AM »

it's Nice but One thing (does this copy over the softmod (aka) Dash or after you install does it run like a App
Snafupossum
Administrator
Sr. Modder

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2006, 07:55:33 AM »

yes thats the only reason i havent done it is the tutorials ive found all u can do is run linux/windows/osx and u cant run it like a normal xbox

drfweega
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2006, 12:55:01 PM »

I would think it would be able to be ran as an App. Not sure though, because I don't have a copy of win98 to test it with.
Kyla666 (zzk2001)
Administrator
Super Modder

Kicking ass

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2006, 07:11:32 AM »

When i got some time i'll pop in my Old HDD and test it out
skip2mylou
Sr. Modder

no wall is safe...

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2006, 09:47:56 AM »

i have the neccessary requirements for this project, but im hesistant to perform it because i dont want to lose my dash. how should this be conducted so that windows 98 can run as an app? thanks in advance.

skip

Kyla666 (zzk2001)
Administrator
Super Modder

Kicking ass

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2006, 12:46:05 PM »

i guess i can try it today and i'll tell you how it goes
skip2mylou
Sr. Modder

no wall is safe...

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2006, 05:39:34 PM »

thank you so very much kind sir. that would be much appreciated.

bozz454
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2006, 12:31:27 AM »

Cool I will have to try it ,Just have to get new hard drive to test with
skip2mylou
Sr. Modder

no wall is safe...

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2006, 09:32:15 PM »

has anyone figured how to run this as an app?

Kyla666 (zzk2001)
Administrator
Super Modder

Kicking ass

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2006, 06:16:39 PM »

Sorry i keep getting Side tracked by Work and working on ppl's xbox's
skip2mylou
Sr. Modder

no wall is safe...

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2006, 09:49:34 PM »

oh dude right on, like i said no pressure. what kind of work do u do for XBs? do u do like cosmetic mods?

Kyla666 (zzk2001)
Administrator
Super Modder

Kicking ass

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2006, 04:17:38 AM »

i do anythang and everythang =)
skip2mylou
Sr. Modder

no wall is safe...

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2006, 06:26:24 PM »

thats pretty sweet, u should post some videos or pics, i would love to se some of ur work. especially cosmetic mods. ive seen a few videos online, and im picking and choosing what i should do to my XB. have u done any mods using LED's. im lookin for a place to get em cheap but i dont want to have to use a credit card. any advice?

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: