Softmod Depot
April 27, 2024, 12:20:34 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length
News: 10.23.09 - The website is fully operational again. Thank you for the patience as we put everything back together. Check out the forums for more information if you are curious.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Windows 7  (Read 18183 times)
Snipes101
Technical Support Team
Sr. Modder

!!!Live Free For Ever!!!

View Profile
« on: November 20, 2009, 10:43:32 AM »

So now that Windows 7 has been out for a while whats is everyone's opinion on the new OS, how was your experience on it? Because I'll be getting a new computer very soon (dec 7) with windows 7 home premium.
Kyla666 (zzk2001)
Administrator
Super Modder

Kicking ass

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2009, 05:38:43 PM »

i'm still happy with windows 7 my self, it's not better then WinXp but it's on the right path and way better then Vista  Grin
Snipes101
Technical Support Team
Sr. Modder

!!!Live Free For Ever!!!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2009, 04:39:23 PM »

Really.... so should i upgrade to Ultimate or just stay at Home?
Kyla666 (zzk2001)
Administrator
Super Modder

Kicking ass

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2009, 09:05:13 PM »

well... Ultimate is better, i mean is has the word Ultimate in it  Shocked  LOL..

Coburn
Talented Modder

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2009, 11:18:58 PM »

Hey Zzk, I have Vista Ultimate installed (Don't judge). I have all my settings and programs installed and whatnot. I also recently stumbled into a copy of Windows 7 Ultimate. My question to you is this: Should I upgrade my Vista to Win 7? Keep in mind that I have all my settings and data already loaded..

Kyla666 (zzk2001)
Administrator
Super Modder

Kicking ass

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2009, 02:37:21 PM »

=/ it's kind of up to you, but just keep in mind that anything you do on vista it will take 2x as much power then on Win7.

but for some people right now with OK systems they don't see that problem till to late =P the main thing is Gaming where if you get like 60-100 fps on WOW on Vista then most likely you'll get like 110-200 on Win7

And it's not really about just wow or the high fps  just the knowing that your running at like half power on a Pc you payed for  Grin
InsaneTrout
Talented Modder

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2009, 12:24:58 PM »

=/ it's kind of up to you, but just keep in mind that anything you do on vista it will take 2x as much power then on Win7.

but for some people right now with OK systems they don't see that problem till to late =P the main thing is Gaming where if you get like 60-100 fps on WOW on Vista then most likely you'll get like 110-200 on Win7

And it's not really about just wow or the high fps  just the knowing that your running at like half power on a Pc you payed for  Grin

I agree with Zzk. My video performance is noticibly up even the Windows Experiance index tells me so not just that though, everything just instantly opens unlike in vista.really it's all about squeezing every last drop of performance out of what you paid for it would really upset me if I spent 2k on a brand new computer and then find out I can only use half of what it's capable of.but again like Zzk said it's really up to you.

Coburn
Talented Modder

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2009, 06:00:00 PM »

Well, would updating it keep all my settings and programs ans whatnot? How's compatability for programs from Win XP to Win 7?

Art2Fly
Talented Modder

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2009, 12:33:10 AM »

The compatability is 100% from Vista to Win7... not so much for WinXP to Win7. You just select the upgrade area from the disc while your in windows and it should do the job fine.

" I'm gonna rip your throat and s**t down your neck!" -- Duke Nukem
All in all, it was a good day. Especially considering I didn't even have to use my AK.
InsaneTrout
Talented Modder

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2009, 01:57:58 PM »

The compatability is 100% from Vista to Win7... not so much for WinXP to Win7. You just select the upgrade area from the disc while your in windows and it should do the job fine.

well there is a trick for win xp programs in win7 if you're gonna install something made for xp right click it go to properties and click the tab that says compatibility and there should be a check box that says "Run this program in compatibily mode for:" and then there will be a drop down box that ranges from win98 to Vista SP2 and just pick the os that the program was made for and then hit apply at the bottom. but keep in mind that trick won't work with everything. or if you have VT on your CPU you can just download xp virtualization from microsoft and then you're all set Grin

Art2Fly
Talented Modder

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2009, 06:44:03 PM »

well there is a trick for win xp programs in win7 if you're gonna install something made for xp right click it go to properties and click the tab that says compatibility and there should be a check box that says "Run this program in compatibily mode for:" and then there will be a drop down box that ranges from win98 to Vista SP2 and just pick the os that the program was made for and then hit apply at the bottom. but keep in mind that trick won't work with everything. or if you have VT on your CPU you can just download xp virtualization from microsoft and then you're all set Grin
Well everything works from XP to 7 but what im refering to is settings. You cannot upgrade an XP box to 7 by using the upgrade choice. you have to do a clean install, meaning loosing a bunch of your data (well the files go to the windows.old directory in the root of C:\) but also settings and you have to reinstall your nonportable applications because all registry entrys are wiped clean.

All in all, it was a good day. Especially considering I didn't even have to use my AK.
InsaneTrout
Talented Modder

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2009, 07:47:12 PM »

oooh ok yeah well what I do is keep all my stuff in one folder that's transferable like music and pictures so on and so forth and when I do a clean install I go into the windows.old to the desktop and drag it from there to my new desktop. it's instant and saves going through a lot of folders. as for progams I save every program I use to my external hdd so I can just open up my programs folder on it and install whatever I need installed. as for settings idk

Art2Fly
Talented Modder

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2009, 01:15:28 AM »

Yeah good idea. Put all cracks and program installers somewhere safe other than C:\, i should do that.

Snipes101
Technical Support Team
Sr. Modder

!!!Live Free For Ever!!!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2009, 01:36:55 PM »

Yes very good idea to have your files all nice and neat that way when you make the switch, things are in order and are easy to move to the new OS. Only wish i had done that when i moved from XP to Vista Ultimate Tongue

Plus, i had some trouble working with some Vista cracks. But i found a great program that does both OS Vista and Win7. Love it, its called
Windows Vista Activation Tool Kit 2.2

and in my opinion it works GREAT!!
« Last Edit: November 26, 2009, 01:39:32 PM by Snipes101 » Logged
InsaneTrout
Talented Modder

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2009, 06:37:48 PM »

I actually have a question about windows 7 that I'm not sure about. My grandma asked me if I wanted A legit version of Windows 7 Roll Eyes and she wanted to know how much it is and I went on newegg and they have like 3 different versions one is one they say is a (Full version - Retail) another is (Upgrade - Retail) and last but not least the other one is (i pack System Builder OEM) what's the difference? because they are all differen't prices are certain things missing out of each operating system or something?

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: