Softmod Depot
April 27, 2024, 12:39:31 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length
News: 10.23.09 - The website is fully operational again. Thank you for the patience as we put everything back together. Check out the forums for more information if you are curious.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Computer kind of cluster thing or something  (Read 7419 times)
InsaneTrout
Talented Modder

View Profile WWW
« on: October 29, 2009, 05:26:35 PM »

Something I've been meaning to ask but keep forgetting. Ok so I have two computers now my main one and a secondary one that's just sitting there. ok well is there a way I can get the computer that I'm not using to transfer to my computer? like add it's performance to my computer? like it has a HTP4@ 3.00Ghz and 512MB Ram and I wanna put that little extra kick or performance to my main computer is that possible?

rattmansam
Talented Modder

If I got it, I mod it!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2009, 05:40:35 PM »

Something I've been meaning to ask but keep forgetting. Ok so I have two computers now my main one and a secondary one that's just sitting there. ok well is there a way I can get the computer that I'm not using to transfer to my computer? like add it's performance to my computer? like it has a HTP4@ 3.00Ghz and 512MB Ram and I wanna put that little extra kick or performance to my main computer is that possible?

The way I think you are thinking of no you cant. You can set a cluster but yeah.

I like tacos.

SMD
Administrator
Administrator
Jr. Modder

:\/: Proud Sweat Shop Owner :\/:

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2009, 05:52:03 PM »

That would be Bamf! However, maybe it is possible. I've read articles of people clustering hundreds of Xboxes into some kind of super mega ultra xbox computer. I'm really tired so I could be way way off right now.

InsaneTrout
Talented Modder

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2009, 06:53:05 PM »

No yeah SMD I believe you're right I've heard and seen clusters of xbox's and that's where I kind of got the idea from but also I wanted to know if it was possible with computers since now I think Intel and Nvidia are asking people to donate power from there computers to help solve astrophysics and other things like that. and I thought well if the resources of someones computer can be sent over the internet to another computer to help solve physics why couldn't it be sent from one computer to another directly? Idk sometimes I think too much, well at least I think so ha ha Tongue

Kyla666 (zzk2001)
Administrator
Super Modder

Kicking ass

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2009, 06:08:20 AM »

Yea i been thinking about that too, Just like with the PS3 with the App Life.
rattmansam
Talented Modder

If I got it, I mod it!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2009, 01:22:17 PM »

The way he was talking about just using his one pc normally you cant cluster that way I dont think.

I like tacos.

SMD
Administrator
Administrator
Jr. Modder

:\/: Proud Sweat Shop Owner :\/:

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2009, 02:19:09 PM »

I know at least in linux you can use the power of another pc to help compile and perform other tasks with the help of an application. I don't have a lot of info on that because a friend was telling me about it. I'm sure there are several different solutions I'll ask him about it. I've never heard of it for Windows though.

InsaneTrout
Talented Modder

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2009, 03:53:32 PM »

Yeah usually it's Ubuntu or something I've never heard of a cluster for windows but I'm sure it's out there somewhere.

Snafupossum
Administrator
Sr. Modder

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2009, 06:53:23 PM »

in every day computing you will not get a boost from any sort of cluster. clusters are not meant for speed, just power. I believe windows server 2003 had some sort of cluster setting but like i said, it isnt for every day computing surfing the net and stuff.

InsaneTrout
Talented Modder

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2009, 01:19:22 PM »

Yeah I just did some googleing and found a couple programs that are for windows server 2003 and 2008 R2 and are only meant for server computers :/ sucks I was hoping they'd have something out there that lets you use old computers computing power and performance and transfer it the dedicated computer to boost performance or whatever :/ hmm lameness because I really wanna put the power of that P4 alongside my E2200. boost my gaming power or something. eh oh well guess I'll just sell it then, my friend wants to buy it off me for $150 and that can help go towards my Q9505 if I get the new mobo I want for christmas.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: