Softmod Depot
April 27, 2024, 09:16:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length
News: 10.23.09 - The website is fully operational again. Thank you for the patience as we put everything back together. Check out the forums for more information if you are curious.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Overclocking Dual Core  (Read 13454 times)
InsaneTrout
Talented Modder

View Profile WWW
« on: February 19, 2009, 02:40:18 PM »

Ok........Sooo Iknow you all are gonna think I'm nuts but I want to further the limits of my CPU AKA I wanna Overclock it. Umm I want to know how to do it and I'm aware of the risks. My CPU runs cool as is @ 2.20Ghz but I want to up that toooo I dunno 2.60 for starters. ummm my CPU came with my mobo and they are not factory.Thaey didn't come with my computer I got em from either TigerDirect or Newegg.

So like obvously I use some type of a program right? any place I can get it from? what's the best program? oh and my CPU is a Dual Core E2200@2.20 if that info is needed to simplify which program would be best.

EDIT: Sorry I forgot to mention that my CPU runs at 45 Degrees. also My Bios has something in it called Burn-In Mode I googled it and it said that it is a stock overclocking mechanism that lets me speed up my CPU and such by just a smidge.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2009, 08:43:57 PM by InsaneTrout » Logged

Snafupossum
Administrator
Sr. Modder

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2009, 02:06:39 AM »

unless your motherboard came with overclocking software, I wouldnt recomend using any software. Just go into the bios and raise the frequency if its possible. your cpu is probably 200hz x 11. since its a lower end cpu, the multiplyer(second number in equation) is probably locked by the cpu itself. so mess with the first number, if you can overclock, it would run by like 2-5hz increments. so slowly increase it, and go back to your os and run test to make sure everything is ok. then once it starts to say like get to hot or unstable or something, back down about 2 or more steps to a safe level and BAM, your done.

InsaneTrout
Talented Modder

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2009, 11:32:09 AM »

unless your motherboard came with overclocking software, I wouldnt recomend using any software. Just go into the bios and raise the frequency if its possible. your cpu is probably 200hz x 11. since its a lower end cpu, the multiplyer(second number in equation) is probably locked by the cpu itself. so mess with the first number, if you can overclock, it would run by like 2-5hz increments. so slowly increase it, and go back to your os and run test to make sure everything is ok. then once it starts to say like get to hot or unstable or something, back down about 2 or more steps to a safe level and BAM, your done.

That's the only over clocking it lets me do It's called Burn-In Mode

:/ ugh looks likee I'm in for a new board

----------------
Now playing: A Day to Remember - Holdin' It Down for the Underground
via FoxyTunes

Art2Fly
Talented Modder

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2009, 05:58:26 PM »

usually if you buy a computer (HP, COmpaq, Acer) you CANNOT overclock your cpu.

" I'm gonna rip your throat and s**t down your neck!" -- Duke Nukem
All in all, it was a good day. Especially considering I didn't even have to use my AK.
InsaneTrout
Talented Modder

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2009, 05:39:34 PM »

usually if you buy a computer (HP, COmpaq, Acer) you CANNOT overclock your cpu.

That's the thing though I didn't. It's a Gateway case but everything inside of it isn't Gateway only the disk drive is stock. everything else I bought from fry's,New Egg, and Tigerdirect .com.
this is a separately bought motherboard and processor.

Art2Fly
Talented Modder

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2009, 05:57:56 PM »

try checking your motherboards site and also read your mobo's manual theres s**t in there that you didnt even know existed.

" I'm gonna rip your throat and s**t down your neck!" -- Duke Nukem
All in all, it was a good day. Especially considering I didn't even have to use my AK.
rattmansam
Talented Modder

If I got it, I mod it!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2009, 07:06:02 PM »

Mobo name manufacterer all info you can get about the board the model# serial all post now.

I like tacos.

rattmansam
Talented Modder

If I got it, I mod it!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2009, 07:06:21 PM »

Mobo name manufacterer all info you can get about the board the model# serial all post now.

lol im oc'ing right now heres a screen no its not photoshopped and yes i game on this pc.

oc'ed

stock(i game on this oc'ed overheats.)
« Last Edit: February 23, 2009, 07:33:11 PM by rattmansam » Logged

I like tacos.

InsaneTrout
Talented Modder

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2009, 06:28:18 PM »

is this good enough or do you need more?

----------------
Now playing: The Red Jumpsuit Apparatus - Face Down (Acoustic)
via FoxyTunes

rattmansam
Talented Modder

If I got it, I mod it!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2009, 06:56:29 PM »

Well for cpu yes and why would you need to oc a conroe?Huh ohh well i still dont know board manufacterer and model # i see the chipset but that doesnt help when some boards require a different oc program than one to just use like clockgen.

I like tacos.

InsaneTrout
Talented Modder

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2009, 07:03:17 PM »

Well for cpu yes and why would you need to oc a conroe?Huh ohh well i still dont know board manufacterer and model # i see the chipset but that doesnt help when some boards require a different oc program than one to just use like clockgen.

What do you mean? is a conroe CPU good or something?

Heres the mobo specs I think

rattmansam
Talented Modder

If I got it, I mod it!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2009, 08:04:18 PM »

yep thats it thanks ill research and yeah conroes are core 2's and i dont think youll really get a  performance increase thats really noticeable but i have a single core 1.4ghz sempron 2800+ its supposed to be 1.6ghz but i had to change the memory frequency and my board decided to lower the operating frequency of the cpu to.   

I like tacos.

InsaneTrout
Talented Modder

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2009, 08:14:24 PM »

yep thats it thanks ill research and yeah conroes are core 2's and i dont think youll really get a  performance increase thats really noticeable but i have a single core 1.4ghz sempron 2800+ its supposed to be 1.6ghz but i had to change the memory frequency and my board decided to lower the operating frequency of the cpu to.   

Did the board do that by it's self or something you manually had to do?

rattmansam
Talented Modder

If I got it, I mod it!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2009, 08:19:04 PM »

My board is retarded and locks the cpu frequency to the memories frequency so the board but i could go into the bios i guess and change it idk it acts quirky and stuff and its a biostar which i have found does wierd things or it just be my luck and sata is really a pain to config on this board and google clockgen and download it and use that to clock because your board does not support overclocking all you can do is try. and im not sure what the bios does to the frequency on the cpu to change it but im gonna go into the bios and change ti back. 

I like tacos.

rattmansam
Talented Modder

If I got it, I mod it!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2009, 06:44:04 PM »

oh no dont do that unless you have at least 2gb of ram and if i wanted i could use 64bit on my pc cause i got a 64bit processor. its pre64 intel stuff. 

I like tacos.

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: