Softmod Depot
April 29, 2024, 09:04:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length
News: 10.23.09 - The website is fully operational again. Thank you for the patience as we put everything back together. Check out the forums for more information if you are curious.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Full-time PC  (Read 13545 times)
Coburn
Talented Modder

View Profile
« on: September 27, 2008, 11:18:33 AM »

Well, I know lots of people who leave their computer on all the time (minus required restarts, ect...). I also know that leaving your PC on for a long time can slow it down, a LOT. So, what do I have to empty (like cache) to make it run like it just started up? Is there any programs that do this? And how do I do this manually?

Art2Fly
Talented Modder

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2008, 02:03:40 PM »

well, that slow down is from the hard drive slowing the spin... you need to really let it rest clear up the hard dive cache not the web browser one and try to do a disk defrag every other week.

" I'm gonna rip your throat and s**t down your neck!" -- Duke Nukem
All in all, it was a good day. Especially considering I didn't even have to use my AK.
GamezR2EZ
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2008, 09:03:26 PM »

i dont normally recommend programs for this but i feel like this program meets my extremally high wants and desires, it has automatic maintenance once a week (adjustable)  that will clear all the caches (not web) and fix error in the registry and\or shortcuts missing unregistered dll's things of this nature the mess up systems that you cant really find to easily manually. It also does logic defragmenting, which speeds up systems

TuneUp Utilities 2008 <---- direct download

Code:
Name:	GamezR2EZ
Comp: MMM Inc.
Serial: PD3VP-MVVC5-YASJH-JMWYH-G5XDR-H9SKY
Kyla666 (zzk2001)
Administrator
Super Modder

Kicking ass

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2008, 12:00:46 AM »

I never see My computer Slow down  even after weeks and weeks of being On.

that's with  all the encoding,burning,Gaming,etc etc  but after a good 3-5 weeks I start running out of Ram so i do a reboot, If it Does slow down I never notice it, And i have to have High FPS on Games or I'll go nuts =)

right now i have Been up for about 4days and got about 60% ram used   NOW i could use a program to Free the Ram But i found them to Just make the computer slower and Not help.
Snipes101
Technical Support Team
Sr. Modder

!!!Live Free For Ever!!!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2008, 12:23:18 AM »

honestly just shut down, wats the point of wasting that electricity if your not using your PC, save a $1 or $2 really! Also yes, leaving your computer on for long periods of time can put a ware to your Hardware, u never give it a brake so the PC always on, the chips are always hot. Just shut down, theirs no need for it to be on if your not downloading something or working on it, and if you complain about start up, then just put it on standby or something, or go GREEN you know Wink. But thats just my opinion

by the way the program that GamezR2EZ gave u, is really good. Used it and love it
« Last Edit: September 28, 2008, 12:25:09 AM by Snipes101 » Logged
Coburn
Talented Modder

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2008, 05:31:44 PM »

I do turn it off every once in awhile. but now I am hosting a webserver for a friend and things of that nature that require it to be on. I am downloading that program now, thanks a bunch for it Smiley

SMD
Administrator
Administrator
Jr. Modder

:\/: Proud Sweat Shop Owner :\/:

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2008, 01:41:43 PM »

Yeah I leave 3 computers on in my house non stop. A linux server, my linux desktop, and my laptop. Come to think of it it may be a good move to shut them down for a bit and let them rest.

Snafupossum
Administrator
Sr. Modder

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2008, 07:22:58 PM »

my pc stays on 24/7, downstairs pc stays on 24/7 and ps3 stays on 24/7 (almost)

Snipes101
Technical Support Team
Sr. Modder

!!!Live Free For Ever!!!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2008, 10:23:39 PM »

not when IKE hit they didn't LMFAO jk jk jk Wink
Coburn
Talented Modder

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2008, 10:56:19 AM »

Touche  Shocked

Snafupossum
Administrator
Sr. Modder

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2008, 11:45:38 AM »

only for about 4-5 days, then i got a generator, but i couldnt get online because no internet lol.

Snipes101
Technical Support Team
Sr. Modder

!!!Live Free For Ever!!!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2008, 08:46:20 PM »

only for about 4-5 days, then i got a generator, but i couldnt get online because no internet lol.

By the way how you doing now? everything coming along back to normal? Cheesy
Snafupossum
Administrator
Sr. Modder

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2008, 08:33:43 PM »

yeah, got my fence back up. money is still kinda tight form no one in my family working for almost 2 weeks, but everything has gone back to normal life. about a week ago, they finally came by to pick up all the trash that had been sitting in everyones front yards since the hurricane.

InsaneTrout
Talented Modder

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2008, 08:42:31 PM »

Yeah the only Pc's that are on almost 24/7 is my brothers computer and my grandmas computer. I turn mine off when ever I'm bored of being on it or when I sleep or when I'm just not using it, It's a waste of money lol

Yeah I leave 3 computers on in my house non stop. A linux server, my linux desktop, and my laptop. Come to think of it it may be a good move to shut them down for a bit and let them rest.

Snipes101
Technical Support Team
Sr. Modder

!!!Live Free For Ever!!!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2008, 10:02:48 PM »

yeah, got my fence back up. money is still kinda tight form no one in my family working for almost 2 weeks, but everything has gone back to normal life. about a week ago, they finally came by to pick up all the trash that had been sitting in everyones front yards since the hurricane.

Glad to hear every things going great up in your area bro Smiley

Hows University of Houston by the way? Is towishen going to sky rocket? Grin
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: