Softmod Depot
April 26, 2024, 11:00:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length
News: 10.23.09 - The website is fully operational again. Thank you for the patience as we put everything back together. Check out the forums for more information if you are curious.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Is Ubuntu Better?  (Read 24606 times)
GamezR2EZ
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2008, 12:42:45 PM »

alright zzk, calm down it will be alright
one step at a time LOL
alright the "nvidia-glx" is for old old drivers (like the old RIVA cards) so that wont work for you at all

and just one thing, why are you hitting ctrl+alt+f7?
anyway the reason its saying the package doesnt exist is becuase you havent update ubuntu yet (sorry my bad, i didnt think about the fact it was a new install, it updates at first login)

unfourtunatly it is very hard to do all the updates from the command line especially for a new user, now i am very bad at doing remote support (and if i was there mabye i would spot an error in something but idk) but i will tell you what i would do (have done, the older ubuntu gave me all this and more trouble) in this situation, remove your video card, use the onboard card to install (or an old crappy 'video' card) and get ubuntu up and running, do all the updates, and then reinstall your card. after reinstallation you may get the same screen but then the command
Code:
sudo apt-get install nvidia-glx-new
will work fine

i would tell you to download them straight from nvidia's site but installation from there is harder, so i always use ubuntu's precompiled versions

anyway, you can give up if you want, makes no difference to me lol
but youll regret it i assure you

PS in about a month (8-10, dont know the day) ubuntu 8.10 will be coming out, Intrepid Ipex is the name. you could just wait till then to install, it will likely have more support (becuase it will be hardy heron plus all the updates that make installing the driver easy and painless)

EDIT: in case people didnt know ubuntu is named after birds and a major update is done every 6 months period
8.10 release October 2008 - Named [Intrepid Ibex]
8.04 release April 2008 - Named [Hardy Heron]
ect ect
« Last Edit: September 09, 2008, 12:46:20 PM by GamezR2EZ » Logged
Kyla666 (zzk2001)
Administrator
Super Modder

Kicking ass

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2008, 10:59:23 PM »

i'll just wait for the update

Ps... i got the nvidia-glx-new installed (i think) as i got it to display etc etc BUT it did not fix it.

So i'll wait for the update.

And i am hitting Ctrl+alt+f7  as i said befor  the Text  "Is Not" Scrolling when I enter commands

you Know like when your in dos or Mirc and the Text scrolls By as the page fills up  WELL it was not doing that SO i could not see What was going on After i type in a command.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2008, 01:23:01 PM by zzk2001 » Logged
Coburn
Talented Modder

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2008, 01:37:04 PM »

So Ubuntu 8.10 is basically 8.04 with all the updates (like 300MB so far)? And is it possible to patch from 7 to 8?

GamezR2EZ
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2008, 01:41:49 PM »

So Ubuntu 8.10 is basically 8.04 with all the updates (like 300MB so far)? And is it possible to patch from 7 to 8?

ubuntu 8.10 is the 6 month update, any major updates will be included in this, things that my just be hard to do with an already running OS, and yes you can update from any ubuntu to any other ubuntu

and i normally do a fresh install of the OS with every new release
Coburn
Talented Modder

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2008, 05:29:55 PM »

Well, I have Ubuntu 7.04 CD right now, and don't want to wait 4-10 weeks for a disk. Downloading isn't an option either. So, I'ma have to just update from Ubuntu 7.04 to 8.04, and soon to 8.10. By the way, is ANY Windows app able to install to Ubuntu? Or am I going to have to use Wine all the time? And does Wine run ONLY from the command line?

GamezR2EZ
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2008, 09:30:05 PM »

Well, I have Ubuntu 7.04 CD right now, and don't want to wait 4-10 weeks for a disk. Downloading isn't an option either. So, I'ma have to just update from Ubuntu 7.04 to 8.04, and soon to 8.10. By the way, is ANY Windows app able to install to Ubuntu? Or am I going to have to use Wine all the time? And does Wine run ONLY from the command line?

no you cant use any windows app directly on linux, and as for anything else about wine, just look it up, im sure there are GUI's out there, but i recommend command line, its most of the time all i use to launch apps download edit i mean you have to use it alot
Coburn
Talented Modder

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2008, 12:01:46 PM »

That really sucks because I still don't know much about the command line...And when I install an app, where does it go? Like what are some main paths on the "file system" that I need to know of? And I just downloaded a Linux zip folder of Firefox 3 (from their website) and now I don't know what to do with the "firefox" folder inside it...Where should I put that?

Ya know, I think I am going to have to use Windows for a while while I experiment with Ubuntu. I'll just get AVG Anti-virus instead of Mcafee. They aren't really protecting me. It slows me down, and once I installed that, I have had to reinstall my OS twice now... This is all too confusing...

And most everyone I know, including my school, uses Windows XP. If I use Linux, I'll lose my valued knowledge of Windows and then where will I be?

GamezR2EZ
« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2008, 12:45:54 PM »

That really sucks because I still don't know much about the command line...And when I install an app, where does it go? Like what are some main paths on the "file system" that I need to know of? And I just downloaded a Linux zip folder of Firefox 3 (from their website) and now I don't know what to do with the "firefox" folder inside it...Where should I put that?

Ya know, I think I am going to have to use Windows for a while while I experiment with Ubuntu. I'll just get AVG Anti-virus instead of Mcafee. They aren't really protecting me. It slows me down, and once I installed that, I have had to reinstall my OS twice now... This is all too confusing...

And most everyone I know, including my school, uses Windows XP. If I use Linux, I'll lose my valued knowledge of Windows and then where will I be?

uhh idk? i dont really know what to tell you, if you want to use linux you have to experiment
and as for the file system goes, explorer it a little bit first. and honestly, who knows the entier "Windows" folder by heart? we all know enough of it to get around thats about it, same with linux
Kyla666 (zzk2001)
Administrator
Super Modder

Kicking ass

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2008, 12:47:42 PM »

(off topic)

Coburn  you really Use ICQ ?

lol i have not used ICQ in 11years
Coburn
Talented Modder

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2008, 04:00:07 PM »

(off topic)

Coburn  you really Use ICQ ?

lol i have not used ICQ in 11years
lol, i made one about a year ago, don't use it anymore. Who wants to remember all those numbers anyway?

Speaking of numbers, Pi. 3.14159265358979... I know that much from heart Smiley

GamezR2EZ
« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2008, 04:11:08 PM »

i only remebered 3.14159 cuase of StarGate
they thought that funny alien dude was Thor
Acyd9

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2008, 10:31:36 PM »

alright.. im gonna be honest. i HATE ubuntu. ive used close to 100 distros of linux and actually studied into them all and i have to say, Mandriva 2008.1 is my favorite distro. VERY easy to do anything on. one of linux's problems is that they arent as uh... user friendly as windows? but mandriva makes it all really simple. id recommend it to you before ubuntu any day.
GamezR2EZ
« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2008, 11:31:37 PM »

yes well apparently you havent used ubuntu lately, because it is VERY easy to use. if you arent familiar with linux, youll need to do some googling, but thats a linux
thing, not an ubuntu thing

in anycase, ubuntu has better support than mandriva, or at least more n00bs asking the question all the other n00bs wanna know, so googling is painless

plus im not that impressed with the 2009.0 beta, and im a big fan of debian based linux distros

i used mandrake for a few years and then moved onto others once it start getting, idk it felt weighed down

in any case, why do you feel like its so great?

PS another thing i like about ubuntu is Xubuntu, cuase it runs fast on my old p2 that i have set up for web browsing
Kyla666 (zzk2001)
Administrator
Super Modder

Kicking ass

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2008, 03:04:21 AM »

thanks Acyd9  I like to give all the Linux  a try (right now i am not a Big fan of Ubuntu myself)

side Note
Red Dog Linux (sucks) lol
GamezR2EZ
« Reply #29 on: September 12, 2008, 03:00:16 PM »

thanks Acyd9  I like to give all the Linux  a try (right now i am not a Big fan of Ubuntu myself)

side Note
Red Dog Linux (sucks) lol

lol yeah, to me RedHat linux is GREAT for servers (i use it for my mail server) but as far as desktops go i dont like redhat based distros

if you have a slower system i would suggest a slackware based linux (or slackware linux Wink) with a Xfce enviroment, ive found thats a fast easy fix, and its very easy to learn

so anyway just check into slackware linux (or my personal favorite debian based)
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: