Softmod Depot
April 28, 2024, 07:58:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length
News: 10.23.09 - The website is fully operational again. Thank you for the patience as we put everything back together. Check out the forums for more information if you are curious.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Is my computer good enough?  (Read 29967 times)
GamezR2EZ
« Reply #30 on: May 02, 2008, 10:03:41 AM »

lol i know about emulating, i was joking

but seriuosly, installing XP is really a waste, Linux can do everything Windows can and much more

all my games run better and faster on linux, and since they have the drivers for the PS3 already for linux, that seems the easiest
Kyla666 (zzk2001)
Administrator
Super Modder

Kicking ass

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 02, 2008, 03:39:37 PM »

No....

see Linux can't use the full power of the CPU nore the GPU =( so the Linux on PS3 is just crap it makes the cpu run like s**t and etc etc

and really (i hate Linux)  there i said it... yea Linux is fater yea it can do it all But you know what i just don't like it  Don't ask me why  I JUST DO.  Wink
GamezR2EZ
« Reply #32 on: May 02, 2008, 03:58:19 PM »

yeah, well i hate everything apple
and Macs
and Solaris

and well i primarially use windows, but linux really is the better OS, the problem is not everything is for linux, and i dont feel like compiling everything on linux

and everything is already made for XP
and idk, all video converters work better on linux
all games (with the right drivers, and nvidia is putting out drivers for there cards on linux now) run better

it IS the all around better OS, but im still stuck on XP, but whatever, ill always use linux on my older computers
drfweega
« Reply #33 on: May 02, 2008, 09:46:07 PM »

yea Linux ... it can do it all
Linux and "can do it all" don't belong in the same sentence together.
GamezR2EZ
« Reply #34 on: May 02, 2008, 10:34:36 PM »

Linux and "can do it all" don't belong in the same sentence together.

and to quote Yachi.....
drfweega
« Reply #35 on: May 03, 2008, 01:23:04 AM »

Him or me?
Snafupossum
Administrator
Sr. Modder

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: May 04, 2008, 01:01:35 AM »

yea like the PS3 is a Qx2 3.2ghz   meaning 8 on top of 1 running at 3.2ghz =)

Man i wish they sell  CELL  CPU's for PC that be sweet =)

(there are alot of ppl out there DOGing the CELL saying it's not powerfull But i would just LOL at them and move on as anyone with half a brain knows 8 cores at 3.2ghz  is a very powerfull  CPU =)

idk about you but i don't even think my core 2 E6700 can beat that  Or even the Core 2 Extreme QX6700

The CELL cpu's power one of the most powerfull supercomputers in the world. The chips are called like the power pc 8 or something along that range. What GamezR2EZ said about 2 processors being dual core is not correct. Dual core means that on one chip, there are 2 proccessor cores, there are many ways to do this. Intel's first dual cores (pentium D's)where just 2 pentium 4 cores stuck on one chip, they did not communicate with each other and where not totaly efficent at multithread processes. AMD came in with the athlon x2 series which was the best thing to me AMD had ever accomplished, they managed to get 2 cores to share things together and act as one system. dual core is the cheap alternative to having a dual socket board like the skulltrail board that can run 2 quad core cpu's and 4 graphics cards. but the alternative to that is going to be the successor to the core2 line set to be released late this year, early next year that will be at the same performace specs as the core2's but have 2 threads per core! Remember what hyperthreading did to p4's? thing what hyper threading is going to do to a core2quad.

Kyla666 (zzk2001)
Administrator
Super Modder

Kicking ass

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 04, 2008, 03:41:26 AM »

uh..... i think your alittle late there  they been out for some time now

core 2 QX6700  is one of them

and there are even better ones now.
GamezR2EZ
« Reply #38 on: May 04, 2008, 06:55:37 AM »

What GamezR2EZ said about 2 processors being dual core is not correct. Dual core means that on one chip, there are 2 proccessor cores, there are many ways to do this.

Ok look, thats basically what i said, and for the averae person it is more than enough info to say Dual Core is 2 processors
No need to go explaining cores

Just like they now have the 1 card that has the 2 nVidia 6800 GTS SLI'd
i dont wanna go all technical about that either
I would just say its 2 cards in one
Snafupossum
Administrator
Sr. Modder

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: May 04, 2008, 09:31:44 AM »

What do you mean I am a little late, zzk?

rattmansam
Talented Modder

If I got it, I mod it!

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 04, 2008, 12:29:52 PM »

ok guys cell core is the god of all proccesors right now until next year with intel and thier damn 8 core cpu they said they will release with 45nm process dies and it umm and my single core cpu can handle up to 16 threads so im set on one thread it runs slower than on multiple threads see the things is that spliting threads increases performance because it dosnt cramm all that data on to one thread and cause confusion on the cpu thats the theory

I like tacos.

Kyla666 (zzk2001)
Administrator
Super Modder

Kicking ass

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 04, 2008, 03:51:17 PM »

i was looking around and you can get a Sweet PC right now for very cheap

in all around 850$

Q6700 2.66ghz/1066FSB  2gDDR2 800mhz SLI  EVGA 780i SLI 3 8800 512mb +shipping

My main computer is getting old and i am thinking of getting Just that =)

you got to think about DVD-roms and burners as well and a good PSU  but i have all that + a OS like WinXp pro NOT vista

But for the most part you can get a Very sweet PC for under 1,000$   =)
GamezR2EZ
« Reply #42 on: May 04, 2008, 04:17:58 PM »

And just for the record, while i was a die hard AMD fan a while back, the Phenom (AMD's quad core) is a HORRIBLE processor. In fact it is noted by many that the AMD Anthlon FX 2 is a better processor all together than the quad

Intles guad core is an ExCELENTone however, i love it, from what i have used on it

PS zzk you ever water cool anything? you would be suprized what your old PC can do water cooled (and then overclocked of course)
Snafupossum
Administrator
Sr. Modder

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: May 04, 2008, 08:52:14 PM »

zzk, it would be smarter to get the core2duo 8500 then the qx 6700, in gaming they are neck to neck on stock clocks, but the c2d 8500 has reached almost 5ghz on air cooling. also, the 8800 512mb wether it be the gt or gts can only be sli not 3 way sli. only the gtx and ultra can do 3 way.

InsaneTrout
Talented Modder

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: May 04, 2008, 11:12:12 PM »

sorry if somebody already said this I just don't have the patience to read all the posts right now because im about to hit the sack.well anyways,all you need is a P4 CPU clocked at what it says and a I'd say a NVIDIA GeForce 7300GT for minimum performance which means it's not going to be that good of performance which that being the case you'd want to buy a Intel Pentium D which is a dual core and there are usually clocked faster than the Core 2 Duo processors but just to get that your gonna have to buy a new mother board because all Dual Cores have a different socket size than all P4 and lower CPUs meaning your gonna have to get a new case to fit that motherboard unless you find a motherboard that'll fit your case now.and there is a slight possibility that you might have to buy a new power supply too but then again I'm not a computer genius and I have no clue as to what your computer specs are.oh and also I'd recommend 2 GB of RAM to be double sure or any lag or anything and so you can multi task while playing like listening to music and looking up cheats and/or tricks while you play too or something.but then again thats just my opinion lol.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  

Jump to: