Softmod Depot
April 27, 2024, 10:28:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length
News: 10.23.09 - The website is fully operational again. Thank you for the patience as we put everything back together. Check out the forums for more information if you are curious.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: YET AGAIN HELP NEEDED FOR MY 3100 DEMENSION DELL  (Read 11366 times)
z4ch_d1zzl3
« on: December 11, 2007, 04:13:49 AM »

welp i got another 1 lol ... accidently downloaded a virus in a file for my buddies comp... and like 20 mins later i had alot of security alerts talking about trojan horses and such ... so i heard from a friend he said "just run a virus scan remove them then maybe system restore" done it now i cant log on my comp unless im in safe mode ... cant reinstall windows because of a roxio program that i have on there ... so what else is there to do ?
GamezR2EZ
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2007, 12:08:00 PM »

hmmm you cant reinstall windows? you can always do that, because XP (not vista) loads onto your RAM at first setup, from there you can format the HDD and reinstall

however if you wanna recover files (just not infected ones;)) simply install on another HDD a copy of windows (or the easier way, if you know linux, use a liveCD)

all kinds of ways here man, tell me what you need and ill walk you through the best option
SatanX
Jr. Modder

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2007, 01:46:59 PM »

I'd suggest opening whatever programs on the PC you've actually paid for, click on "Help" or "About" in each one to try and find your product keys because with those, you can just download the program again and install it using the same keys.

There's a program called "Product Key Explorer" which copies down every key for every program, including your XP Key.

You can also attempt to repair the installation by doing one of two things. Boot up with the XP install disc and either press R to try and recover it, or press enter to set up a new XP Installation.

Before you do a new installation, the CD always checks for previous versions of XP on the computer. If it finds one, it will ask you if you want to attempt to repair the installation. You can follow the prompts on the screen from there and it should help you out.

Personally, I'd just format it and reinstall any programs on the machine. If that isn't an option though, try using one of the recovery functions on the XP CD. Remember, XP will not reinstall without your expressed permission. They have made the install progress almost fool proof. It will ask you to press D, Enter and L before deleting any partitions so you won't make the mistake of accidentally formatting.

If all else fails, most PC manufacturers, Dell included, offer repair CDs with their machines (or they used to and still should). Most, if not all store bought machines have the option to do what's called a non-destructive recovery, which means it rewrites system files and doesn't touch ANY personal data or program files.
rattmansam
Talented Modder

If I got it, I mod it!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2007, 08:45:14 PM »

yawn safemode remove roxio and run avgfree anti virus scan on it and your good just dont enable internet
which is networking option

I like tacos.

SatanX
Jr. Modder

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2007, 01:00:43 PM »

yawn safemode remove roxio and run avgfree anti virus scan on it and your good just dont enable internet
which is networking option

If you read his post entirely, you'd see he already ran a virus scan. It sounds as if some system files were corrupted along the way. A simple repair usually fixes the issue when formatting isn't an option.
rattmansam
Talented Modder

If I got it, I mod it!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2007, 08:13:54 PM »

ohh sorry Sad

I like tacos.

GamezR2EZ
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2007, 09:44:50 PM »

YOU SHOULD BE  Angry lol its cool just read it more

ok so yes, i hate to say it but Satan is right Tongue nice name BTW lol

yeah its all good just gotta wiat for z4ch to write back
rattmansam
Talented Modder

If I got it, I mod it!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2007, 09:49:01 PM »

hangin ok just keep running different scans or format and reinstall. on my pc i run xp but never get any viruses cause i hacked it so nothing installs without my permission i mean nothing. ohh and it runs faster than most xp machines cause indexing and cacheing and all that extra crap that microsoft wants well to bad for them cause im a hacker in a mild way

I like tacos.

GamezR2EZ
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2007, 09:54:47 PM »

ugghhh people mistreat the word hacker

you didnt "hack" anything, you modified, come on people
we dont need to know how "smart" you are, just solutions to your problems

and rattman thats an OPTION on XP not a hack
rattmansam
Talented Modder

If I got it, I mod it!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2007, 09:57:10 PM »

no its not cause i had a cracked version so it was funky and i had to go into the registry and change it ohh and those stupid stiky keys are dead

I like tacos.

z4ch_d1zzl3
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2007, 03:21:09 AM »

sorry it took sooooo long to reply ... i have been very busy and havent been home in the past few days anyways... ive already copied all the files that i want on a external hardrive... and when i make it home ill try some of the things you suggested ... after i get this done i want to upgrade some of the parts in my comp and suggestions on what i should do?"
Kingofrandom78
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2007, 09:59:03 AM »

no its not cause i had a cracked version so it was funky and i had to go into the registry and change it ohh and those stupid stiky keys are dead

You had a 'cracked version'... So you didn't do it?

Don't read tutorials and then claim the work as your own.
SatanX
Jr. Modder

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2007, 11:27:31 AM »

sorry it took sooooo long to reply ... i have been very busy and havent been home in the past few days anyways... ive already copied all the files that i want on a external hardrive... and when i make it home ill try some of the things you suggested ... after i get this done i want to upgrade some of the parts in my comp and suggestions on what i should do?"

There's a lot of things that could be upgraded, like RAM, Video card, Processor or even hard drive space but it all depends on what you want to do. And for the most part, you're usually only as fast as your slowest component. I believe pcpitstop.com has a fancy feature that gives you tips on how you're PC is running and makes suggestions as to what to upgrade.
Snafupossum
Administrator
Sr. Modder

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2007, 03:10:56 PM »

the easiest and first thing you should upgrade is your ram, just by doing a simple google search or looking at your other ram sticks you can see what kind of ram you will need. video card isnt a real need for the average web browsing computer user. processor is anothing thing you might want to look into, all you really need to worry about is looking at the socket type and try and get the same line as the prcessor you already have like if you have a pentium 4 2.5ghz socket 775, it would be a good idea to upgrade to like a pentium 4 3ghz socket 775.

z4ch_d1zzl3
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2007, 10:20:19 PM »

yeah ive been looking for upgrades like ram and such ... found the ram i can use... only can give my comp 1 extra gig because it wont let you have m9ore then 2 gigs so yeah lol... might look into video card next
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: