Softmod Depot
April 25, 2024, 06:19:52 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length
News: 10.23.09 - The website is fully operational again. Thank you for the patience as we put everything back together. Check out the forums for more information if you are curious.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Ring of Death  (Read 15028 times)
xino
Jr. Modder

I am blAck

View Profile WWW
« on: November 24, 2007, 07:55:14 PM »

what is this ring of death thing!?
it seems everyone's 360 are having a ring 'o' death:/

"no 360 owner survives the ring of death. it's only a matter of time before those lights come up permenantly."

will it happen to me?

how do I avoid it?

because I don't wanna be sending of a package and stuff like that:/

www.youtube.com/xin0 222+ videos

Need to come up with a new Video Editing software, I am tired of Nero Vision 4:/

rattmansam
Talented Modder

If I got it, I mod it!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2007, 02:39:46 AM »

hey man dont worry my 360 sits there while im playing a game and gives me red ring of death disco style baby

I like tacos.

Snafupossum
Administrator
Sr. Modder

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2007, 10:06:57 AM »

ring of death is just plain old, straight forward DEATH. the ring of death, is just the lights around the power button lighting up red, giving you a error. since about 1 out of every 10 360's usually fail, it is known as the ring of death. theres many causes to the ring of death, overheating, cold solder joints, dvd drive malfunctions, a/v output going out. the main one is the overheating rod. getting a intercooler can help as long as you get one that actually blws air the right way. the nyko cooler is the worst one to buy. i bought this one right after i bought my 360 http://www.ebgames.com/product.asp?product%5Fid=802686 and i leave my 360 on 24/7 and i have never gotton the rod. but the rod is very real, my friend has gone through 4 360s since summer, and he only plays maybe 3 hours a week.

xino
Jr. Modder

I am blAck

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2007, 10:12:26 AM »

ring of death is just plain old, straight forward DEATH. the ring of death, is just the lights around the power button lighting up red, giving you a error. since about 1 out of every 10 360's usually fail, it is known as the ring of death. theres many causes to the ring of death, overheating, cold solder joints, dvd drive malfunctions, a/v output going out. the main one is the overheating rod. getting a intercooler can help as long as you get one that actually blws air the right way. the nyko cooler is the worst one to buy. i bought this one right after i bought my 360 http://www.ebgames.com/product.asp?product%5Fid=802686 and i leave my 360 on 24/7 and i have never gotton the rod. but the rod is very real, my friend has gone through 4 360s since summer, and he only plays maybe 3 hours a week.
thanks

but how do you avoid over heating!?
is it because people turn/leave the 360 on for a VERY long time!?

www.youtube.com/xin0 222+ videos

Need to come up with a new Video Editing software, I am tired of Nero Vision 4:/

Snafupossum
Administrator
Sr. Modder

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2007, 10:22:58 AM »

overheating is just a bad design by m$, the 360 was/is not capable of being able to get the heat that the 360 makes and be able to get it out efficiently. ways to avoid it are do not have the 360 in a closed space, do not have it around other electronics that produce a lot of heat like ps3. the ps3 is a electronics killer, i have my ps3 sitting on top of my cable box, and it killed my cable box because it over heated it. if you console was manufactured after july 07, you should not have to worry as much because thats when they redid the heat sinks in the 360's. then certain boards manufactured after October have smaller gpu's which produce less heat.

Ricochet
Technical Support Team
Jr. Modder

-]c[0]re[-

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2007, 03:54:17 PM »

i never had it,
ive dropped my xbox
ive over heated it
ive left it on for months on end *still on right now*

and never had the ring of death

i guess im a lucky one

my buddy on another forum

had it 5 times
4 of those times were M$ sending him another xbox

InsaneTrout
Talented Modder

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2007, 05:32:55 PM »

I've never ever had the red ring unless it was due to a cord not being plugged in right but thats it.and pretty much the best way to not get the ring is if you keep your 360 in an open place and  you can get one of those intercooler packs for like $20 maybe less now i have one and it works great and my 360 is constently being used it gets used at least 6 hours a day every day.

rattmansam
Talented Modder

If I got it, I mod it!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2007, 09:13:19 PM »

hey if you hate the fan go liquid cooling when i get the elite in a few weeks im going liquid man

I like tacos.

infamousdice
Super Modder

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2007, 03:09:12 PM »

i got the nyko inter cooler

Snafupossum
Administrator
Sr. Modder

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2007, 04:10:51 PM »

nyko inter cooler has been rated the worst out of the reviews, almost every single person that has used it has got a rod, because the fans blow the wrong way, or atleast they use to.

Snipes101
Technical Support Team
Sr. Modder

!!!Live Free For Ever!!!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2007, 05:11:31 PM »

nyko inter cooler has been rated the worst out of the reviews, almost every single person that has used it has got a rod, because the fans blow the wrong way, or atleast they use to.

Humm well then wat cooling fan do u recommend me to buy this bad boy
, and the ROD should be minimized by this cool looking toy
« Last Edit: November 29, 2007, 05:15:17 PM by Snipes101 » Logged
infamousdice
Super Modder

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2007, 06:02:52 PM »

that one is hot it even has extra USB Nice

Snafupossum
Administrator
Sr. Modder

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2007, 09:44:11 PM »

thats the one i have Smiley

InsaneTrout
Talented Modder

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2007, 12:26:55 AM »

oh god i think i just wet myself  that thing is like totally godly thats the one i want because its got that VGA that i want so i gan use it on my computer monitor and my nyco cooler blows the right way i had some problems with one or two of the fans a few days ago so i took em apart and sprayed them down with a little bit of some Liquid Wrench and they work perfectly now ^_^ oh and the problem they were giving me was that the started making a horridly loud grinding kinda sound

Snafupossum
Administrator
Sr. Modder

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2007, 09:44:25 AM »

vga output is one of the main reasons i bought it over the nyko, cuz i needed vga and vga cable + nyko cooler = 40 and pro cooler = 30.

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: