Softmod Depot
April 26, 2024, 01:22:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length
News: 10.23.09 - The website is fully operational again. Thank you for the patience as we put everything back together. Check out the forums for more information if you are curious.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Modding My Wii  (Read 17807 times)
GamezR2EZ
« on: October 21, 2007, 10:16:04 AM »

Ok well i finally have the cash to mod my Wii (only $80 with the $50 case mod, lol) and im trying to figure out which modchip to buy.
Im thinking of going with WiiKey, but the site i was going to just announced they no longer offer Wii modchips, so i gotta find  DIFFERENT site, but from my searching WiiKey seems like the best choice for me.

The case mod i was going with is here (it changes colors)
but im still not sure which chip to buy..... if anyone has any ideas let me know. If not i guess i will pick one and show pictures of my modded wii when its done.

They will be entitled "Mii and My Wii!" lol

EDIT: has anyone heard of this modchip?
it seems to be better than any of the others released, i would go with it......... but i dont know if it works  Undecided
« Last Edit: October 21, 2007, 10:28:25 AM by GamezR2EZ » Logged
Kyla666 (zzk2001)
Administrator
Super Modder

Kicking ass

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2007, 10:49:56 AM »

from what i know Wiikey does not work with All version Wii's 

and that CycloWiz is the best
GamezR2EZ
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2007, 01:33:55 PM »

yeah the wiikey works with mine though....
and i have heard some bad reviews about the CycloWiz.
Also the modchips CANNOT BE SOLD IN THE US ANYMORE!!
not going to stop me  Sad

the wii's with cut legs are a problem for chips
i have had mine since launch, no cut legs here
Boost
Softmod Elite
Administrator
Sr. Modder

yeah, we can do that

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2007, 06:01:28 AM »

I just got the cyclowiz last month.
no problems at all.
and yeah you do have to find a place to order it from that's not in the US.
Cyclowiz > http://www.gamersection.ca/product_info.php?cPath=52&products_id=416&osCsid=occjmetnmo14sie4ho40m1kdn6
TriWing > http://www.gamersection.ca/product_info.php?cPath=52&products_id=491

BOOST

Sig Built by BOOST

Kyla666 (zzk2001)
Administrator
Super Modder

Kicking ass

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2007, 06:44:29 AM »

+5 B00ST   Wink

idk i don't have a wii anymore but i have read ALOT into the modchips and everything pointed to cyclowiz

as wiikey does not work on all new wii's and Wiinja stop being made and updated  =)

for me cyclowiz just looks like a stable  modchip that can do it all =)

don't get me wrong i was set on getting a Wiikey too BUT then i seen it does not work on new Wii's and all hope was lost till i seen the cyclopswiz.

the only really problem i found with cyclopswiz was the update switch  witch maybe hard to install or Not idk =/

But wiikey can be the best chip in the world BUT if it does not work on the version i got then i'M F@#*ED!! =)

I even got on some wii Mirc rooms asking about modchips and everyone was for cyclopswiz =)

(Quote from www.cyclopswiz.com)
CycloWiz is currently the best available Wii mod on the market. Not only does it offer the best features and compatibility rate available today, but it's the only fully DVD upgradable chip (including instruction memory) that doesn't require difficult soldering on new drive boards (V2). Here is the current list of features, keep it mind that new features will be included in future upgrades.

(Note)
if your looking online alot of what ppl talke about whats BAD about cyclopswiz has been fixed with new Updates
GamezR2EZ
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2007, 10:41:40 AM »

k thanx, +1 all (i cant do plus 5 Tongue), i have done research on my own (alot before i even posted BTW)
however i am still thinking of getting a Wiikey, because i KNOW it will work on my Wii, although it does seem to be running out\not being sold anymore at some sites..... (this also means i can get it for 15$ no joke)

Quote from: CycloWiz
    * Fully upgradable via DVD
    * Direct boot of Wii and GC backups
    * Direct boot of GC homebrew (Disc Backup Tool, Media Player, etc.)
    * Runs Wii imports (partial compatibilty for NTSC->PAL and PAL->NTSC)
    * Supports all Wii / Drive versions from all regions
    * Fully compatible with D2B chipset and new drive board (V2)
    * Runs Gamecube imports (partially without swap)
    * Built-in, fully working, audio fix (no patch required)
    * Reads DVD-R, DVD+R, DVD-RW, DVD+RW and Dual Layer Media NEW
    * Compatible with Multi-Disc games for both Wii and GC
    * Possibility to put many GC games on one disc
    * Improved read (no slowdowns)
    * Open platform: unofficial firmwares can be used (such as Wiifree) NEW
    * Can recover from a bad flash using PC (dvdtool cable needed) NEW
    * The chip can be totally disabled by holding a button while booting
    * P.O.S.T. with LED status (Power-On Self Test)
    * Stealth mode
    * Quick-solder features: no wires required to install the chip
    * Easy installation troubleshooting thanks to the onboard LED
    * Chips supplied in professional ESD packing

Quote from: WiiKey
    * Direct boot of wii backups
    * Direct boot of GC backups
    * Direct boot of homebrew in GC mode
    * Supports all currently available console/drive versions
    * Supports D2B chipsets
    * Sophisticated (true) update mechanism via DVD (future proof, expect cool features to come)
    * Direct boot of different NTSC region Wii games/backups on US and JAP consoles
    * Partial support for NTSC region Wii games/backups on PAL consoles
    * Boots different region GC games/backups (partially without swapping)
    * Supports multi-disc games for BOTH Wii and Gamecube
    * Supports DVD-R / true DVD+R and +RW support (no bitsetting required!)
    * Improved readsettings for recordable media
    * Built-in audio fix
    * Supports fullsize 4GB discs for gamecube homebrew
    * Stealth mode
    * 512 byte EEPROM to store configuration
    * Quicksolder interface - no wires required
    * Unique disc backup application via sdcard
    * Compact design, best quality components, rock solid high speed controller
    * Professional ESD packing
    * Recovery mode - Can recover from a bad flash

there is the features Difference and all, one thing i REALLY like about CycloWiz is the Open Platform, because from what i have used\seen WiiFree is AWESOME! as a firmware at least

I am debating, after this post im now leaning in the CycloWiz direction..... so thanx alot guys, you are a big help

this list is of wii versions\what chip is compatible based on Serial # (you dont even have to open Wii) im Lu100xxxxxx which means im covered lol

also, im not the best solderer, and i have no clue what QuickSolder means, some shead somelight please?
and is there a NonSolder chip? any help is greatly appreciated, but if not thanx for everything until now  Wink

Here is a store that seems good enough, little selection but its got what i need
« Last Edit: October 22, 2007, 10:58:24 AM by GamezR2EZ » Logged
Kyla666 (zzk2001)
Administrator
Super Modder

Kicking ass

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2007, 11:57:31 AM »

you got to watch out for WiiKey clones (aka) fakes   They sell for alot less BUT are not supported by wiikey and will not work with wiikey updates
GamezR2EZ
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2007, 12:21:04 PM »

i will keep that in mind, however this site was on the resellers list, so i would assume its good however you never know
infamousdice
Super Modder

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2007, 01:16:24 PM »

very hot case i wanna a nintendo wii how much are they used in gamestop

GamezR2EZ
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2007, 02:04:12 PM »

idk exactally, i think i saw 179.99 used, but i believe that is the price on avarage, then again i could be wring, i dont pay much attention seeing is how i own one, but no more than $200 id imagine
Kyla666 (zzk2001)
Administrator
Super Modder

Kicking ass

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2007, 02:07:31 PM »

249$  around 264$ after Tax =(
GamezR2EZ
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2007, 02:10:12 PM »

he said used zzk, unless thats the price used........
or are you thinking new?

my bad if you know what you talking about  Wink lol
Kyla666 (zzk2001)
Administrator
Super Modder

Kicking ass

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2007, 02:13:30 PM »

Nah thats "New"  as there are No used Wii's down here Yet =(
GamezR2EZ
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2007, 02:23:57 PM »

hmmm ok, well there is always Ebay, Whatever it is You can get It on Ebay, lol

anyways, QuickSolder is When the Chip itself lines up with the holes in the motherboard and you pour solder in (correct?) but i hear these are a PAIN to take off, so a wire install is your best bet (correct me if im wrong)

also the WiiKey supports ALL avalible Wii's

one more thing, has anyone seen the d2ckey?
its a 31 wire install!!! but if it works better i would get it instead, but it JUST got relesed on Oct 10th, if anyone has any knowledge of this let me please, thanx

EDIT: I found out the deal with the WiiKey being sold so cheap, D2CKey is made by the people that made WiiKey (go figure, d2cKey wiiKey, lol)

anyway from what i can tell (and i trust this source) the D2CKey is the BEST thing on the market (its new so give it time) The one downside is the Massive 31 wire install, but hey if its as good as they say its worth it.
They say it cannot be detected now or in the future (hey they said it, and my source says its true) as long as you dont try going online with it on, but thats a given, anyway ill update when i get more info

(i like having a source, lol, he just doesnt want me to spread his name around, is all, otherwise it would be like hey so-and-so told me lol)
« Last Edit: October 23, 2007, 11:21:07 AM by GamezR2EZ » Logged
GamezR2EZ
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2007, 01:09:49 PM »

despite what zzk thinks
WiiKey  is the Best  And from What I know is works on all Wii's  New and Old
( Wink Grin Wink)
i think im going to build my own modchip, flash it with WiiFree's Firmware. The countless Tutorials on the web allow for this to happen for under $20 total.
I can to this conclusion after i realized, ALL WII MODCHIPS SUCK!! Angry Angry Angry (sorry B00ST)
i cant get a straight answer from any company, but i remeber hearing about this German dude who made his computer into a modchip about 6-8 months ago, i started looking into that

now i have come across some awesome stuff, but i am definetly going with this method

here is a picture of what the wii would look like afterward,

this allows for (with the very simple appropriate solder points) a plug-n-play style modchip that is compatible with ALL modchips (minus the new D2CKey (named after motherboard style, previous being, DMC,D2A,D2B) that use the selected solder points, (just look at modchip install picture, see if the points match up, most all i have looked at do)
so basically this serial port is just a wire extender, which is fine by me cause i would like to try the super cheap Homebrew modchip AND the newer modchips, without having to desolder the chip everytime, i have the best of both worlds!!

This 9 wire install method allows for countless homebrew chips, and 18 (as far as i count could be off a few) on the market chips, all plug-n-play style!!

anyway i hope to get started on this project in the next couple of weeks (taking a trip to maine in a couple of weeks) so i would like to have it done before then but im a lazy person, so be looking for a Vid\Pictures (lazy) by early december

PS i have accumulated a vast resovoure of Wii modchip knowledge of modchips and parts  for he Wii, so if you have any questions let me know, and ill be able to help you
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: