Softmod Depot
April 27, 2024, 05:44:30 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length
News: 10.23.09 - The website is fully operational again. Thank you for the patience as we put everything back together. Check out the forums for more information if you are curious.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bootable unsigned HV/kernel in the works…  (Read 2652 times)
Ricochet
Technical Support Team
Jr. Modder

-]c[0]re[-

View Profile
« on: October 02, 2007, 08:35:34 PM »

source: arnezami @ xboxhacker.net

For the last 4-5 weeks I have been working very hard to reboot the xbox into an unsigned kernel/hv. And I’ve been making quite some progress.  I am now capable (using the KK exploit as starting point) to reboot from the moment the CB section starts the CD section up to POST 0×6C (!) in the boot process. Meaning that all three cores are running in an unsigned kernel/hv at that point.  What I’m doing is loading the CD section back into memory (where it would normally be during boot) and restart it. This CD section is changed to contain a kernel/hv patcher (which I now use to debug the kernel startup). So in fact I can already change the kernel/hv at will.

The difficulty has been (and still is) to restore the xbox into a state it was during boot. Most of the cpu/mmu related stuff have been restored now and thats why it already goes that deeply into the boot process. But some problems still remain (possibly interrupt/southbridge related). I’m still working on those. I’m also thinking of modifying what I’ve created into a more replicatable and managable form so others can take a look at some these issues too (to speed up the progress).

Anyway; If we are successful in re-booting into a (patched) kernel it should also be possible to re-boot into any kernel (including the new ones). If we can do that we can (for example) avoid the whole fuse-burning dilemma (essentially by faking it). For that we would probably also need a second NAND (or some other storage device like a memory card) to store the new kernel/dash/kv/settings etc but thats something to discuss later on.

Back to work…

Regards,

arnezami

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: