Softmod Depot
May 01, 2024, 11:51:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length
News: 10.23.09 - The website is fully operational again. Thank you for the patience as we put everything back together. Check out the forums for more information if you are curious.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: installing linux  (Read 9519 times)
jdogg69
« on: April 07, 2007, 11:11:24 AM »

Is there any good tutorial on this site that tells you step by step how to install linux on a softmodded xbox?
I am intersted and i was hoping its as easy as using krayzies ndure installer to softmod.
Kingofrandom78
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2007, 04:51:04 PM »

depends. wat kind of linux u lookin for? xdsl would be better if you wanna run win98, but other than dat gentoox is da easyiesst/best. i can send or up da filesfor a simple ftp install+ tell you how to put a shortcut in unleash for it. if ya need a step by step ill help ya out
jdogg69
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2007, 09:44:48 PM »

to be honest i dont know much about the benefits of having linux on your xbox. I wouldnt want windows 98 on my xbox tho. I was just curious if it was an easy thing to so i could try it out and if i didnt like just uninstall it. Is it a big deal to install it and then uninstall it if i didnt care for it too much. What benefits is there in having linux on your xbox? the ability to use the internet instead of having to use linksboks?

Actually i just read my other post and it seems streaming from a external hard drive connected through usb would only work using linux so i guess thats one benefit.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2007, 09:47:34 PM by jdogg69 » Logged
Kingofrandom78
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2007, 10:07:54 AM »

if ure lookin for win98, u can d/l a torrent that is ready for ftp. simple. win98 not that good thou' . if your lookin for a bit of fun + learnin use gentoox
jdogg69
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2007, 10:44:21 AM »

ok thanks. does linux just install as an app? meaning will i still have XBMC as my dashboard?
Kingofrandom78
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2007, 10:47:10 AM »

u can install linux many ways, including as an app. ill rite a tut later on + up the files for an easy ftp install
jdogg69
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2007, 06:09:03 PM »

awesome much appreciated!!
jdogg69
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2007, 09:57:47 PM »

Hmm seems that an xbox softmodded with the mechinstaller wont run x-dsl or gentoox. After further readng it seem that the gentooxx.xbe file isn't signed. From what I read you have to sign gentooxx.xbe with the habibi key using xbedump with the following command prompt line:

xbedump.exe default.xbe -font

Then you replace the gentooxx.xbe in the install package with the new signed .xbe and then install.

I have a NTSC v1.3 xbox with a stock HDD and I used "krayzies ndure Mechassault v1.1.1" installer

UPDATE: After reading the instalation instructions for gentoox it seem that I dont have enough hard drive space for this. I have a stock 8gb with 2.3gb left on my E: drive and its says that 4.5gb is required for the install. Is there a small linux installer that would run on my xbox given my available hard drive space and the softmod package I used (mechassault). I honestly just want to be able to browse the net using firefox and maybe use instant chat.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2007, 02:38:46 AM by jdogg69 » Logged
Kingofrandom78
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2007, 10:42:32 AM »

i see you have been reading xbox-linux.org. the mechinstaller  is different than krazies ndure. the mechinstaller allows you to run habbi signed xbes wile krazies allows you to run unsigned xbes. i suggest getting a new hdd. at least 20gb for minimal linux usage. full 500gb for pirating everyting in sight Grin
jdogg69
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2007, 11:08:17 AM »

ah ok thats good to know so i good run gentoox with the sotfmod i have. Im one of those guys who doesnt want to open my xbox and love the fact that i have it modded without ever having to destroy the serial number sticker or having to lift up the little rubber pads on the bottom. I will one day install a larger hard drive since it seems relatively easy. Could I try xdsl then since its a much smaller download? would this also work with the softmod i have, i am assuming yes. I didnt really read about any hard drive space requirements for xdsl. Again I only realy want to use it for internet and instant messaging. when i get a larger hard drive i will install gentoox for sure since i have read alot about it and seems pretty good and fairly stable and their seems to be lots of support for it.

thanks for the help
« Last Edit: April 09, 2007, 11:12:15 AM by jdogg69 » Logged
Kingofrandom78
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2007, 11:10:27 AM »

im preety shure x-dsl will fit on ure hdd. tryto not put any games or vids/music on it. ontheroption you have is running a live cd
jdogg69
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2007, 11:12:39 AM »

whoa we replied at the same time
jdogg69
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2007, 11:14:14 AM »

i dont put games on my system they are all on disk and i stream from my computer using xbmc. i only have some apps and lots of emulators on my system

well thanks for all the help and i will try xdsl for now and see how that works.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2007, 11:16:55 AM by jdogg69 » Logged
Kingofrandom78
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2007, 12:01:49 PM »

you can put emus on a disc. geta dvd ndu can put roms on there aswell
jdogg69
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2007, 10:07:42 PM »

UDPDATE

Well I went with XDSL as a fugal install via ftp. I had to change the MyDsl mirror link cause i couldn't download any apps but after doin that, everything is good. I was just using aMSN a few minutes ago.

Thanks Yachi for all your help I probably would have gave up if u wouldnt have informed me about the difference between krayzies ndure installer and the mechinstaller. Im just waiting for my xbox/usb adapter cable to come in the mail off ebay. Can I use a usb hub so i can use both my keyboard and mouse? I only ordered 1 adapter cable.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: