Softmod Depot
May 01, 2024, 04:24:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length
News: 10.23.09 - The website is fully operational again. Thank you for the patience as we put everything back together. Check out the forums for more information if you are curious.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: softmod question  (Read 9621 times)
sonix2407
« on: January 23, 2007, 06:10:50 PM »

Hey, I'm new here and a complete noob when it comes to softmodding and the Xbox. Most, if not all, of this is going to sound really stupid and I wouldn't blame you for thinking "Oh god! This guy knows nothing", but here goes.
I've just got a normal (black) Xbox, a couple of controllers and a DVD remote (also one ethernet cable which, at the moment, connects my laptop to my cable modem). I don't have an Action Replay, or memory cards or any other fancy things for my Xbox. And I don't have a subscription with Xbox Live.
So, is there any way I can softmod my Xbox without buying anything new? I'm kinda broke (and unemployed) at the moment. Is there some way to connect my laptop/PC to my Xbox (possibly using my ethernet cable)? Or burn some program to a CD/DVD and mod it?

I'm sorry if it sounds stupid, as I said I'm a noob when it comes to the Xbox. My sister was gonna get her boyfriend to find somewhere to install a mod chip, but then they broke up and I have no idea where I could go to get it done.

Thanks for any information.
infamousdice
Super Modder

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2007, 06:44:58 PM »

yes you could do the softmod with out uying anything but you do need the tools to open your xbox if you wanna do it with out the Action Replay

sonix2407
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2007, 06:53:32 PM »

Yeah, I saw this softmod just after posting this (http://www.smdepot.net/forum/index.php?topic=897.0). I think I may be able to do that...but I can't find the screws on the bottom of my Xbox lol. And what's the chances that doing that would fry my computer, Xbox or both? And what's the chances I could get electrocuted? lol.
Snafupossum
Administrator
Sr. Modder

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2007, 07:07:19 PM »

here is a cool lil video http://www.smdepot.net/forum/index.php?topic=804.0 theres no chance as long as you follow the instructions and be aware of what NOT to do

sonix2407
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2007, 07:20:50 PM »

Cool, thanks for that video. Do you need those Torx screw drivers? or can you use other ones? I have a set of screw driver ranging from very small (0.1 mm, I think...can't remember)  to slightly smaller than the one used to remove the pads in that video.
EDIT: One more thing, the tutorial says "Set PC's HDD on Secondary master", how exactly do I do that?

EDIT 2: Forget that bit about the Torx scewdrivers, I just had a look at the screws on the Xbox. So I need 2 find some where that sells them cheap or see if one of my uncles has one (2 of them work or worked on cars and lots of other things, one of them may have one. Bit of a long shot though).
« Last Edit: January 23, 2007, 08:52:13 PM by sonix2407 » Logged
Snafupossum
Administrator
Sr. Modder

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2007, 09:21:49 PM »

If you can find the right size flathead it will work. and what are you talking about "Set PC's HDD on Secondary master"? All of the cars that ive worked on dont use torx, just socket, allen, and phillips/flathead, but ive only worked on american cars so who knows.

sonix2407
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2007, 07:55:57 AM »

In zzk's ALL IN ONE Softmod tutorial (http://www.smdepot.net/forum/index.php?topic=897.0), it says "Take everythang out of PC and Set PC's HDD on Secondary master".

BTW I know NOTHING about cars, so I don't know what kind of tools they use on them. The two uncles I was talking about also do electronics, and that's why I mentioned it.
Blink
Global Moderator
Jr. Modder

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2007, 03:40:56 PM »

most importantly, you will need access to a pc with IDE connections... and im willing to go out on a limb and guess your laptop doesnt use IDE and if it did, you wouldnt want to disassemble it. 
sonix2407
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2007, 04:36:52 PM »

Well I checked my laptop's Device Manager and it says it has "Primary IDE Channel" and "Secondary IDE Channel", so I assume it does use IDE. And my mother would kill me if I took my PC apart, even if it was just to get the HDD.
Snafupossum
Administrator
Sr. Modder

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2007, 07:22:18 PM »

well takin apart your laptop isnt a good idea.

sonix2407
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2007, 08:04:43 PM »

Yeah, I guess...I'll just either get my mother's permission to do it with the PC or do it while she's at work or something.
Snafupossum
Administrator
Sr. Modder

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2007, 08:24:07 PM »

HELL YEAH BE A REBEL

sonix2407
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2007, 12:34:36 PM »

I had a look inside my laptop (I had to open it up anyway, something was blocking the fan) and I couldn't see any IDE cables, even though they are mentioned in the Device Manager. But I can't open up my PC (my mother said no cause it would invalidate the warrenty).

So what's the next cheapest way to softmod my Xbox?

EDIT: BTW what is the Team SMD Auto-Installer? I've seen similar programs around but what do they do? Does they just install new Dashboards?
Also I'm guessing it's not possible to install a softmod by burning files to a DVD/CD and then putting in my Xbox, am I correct?
« Last Edit: January 25, 2007, 01:46:50 PM by sonix2407 » Logged
sonix2407
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2007, 03:24:53 PM »

OK, good news. I'm going to get an Action Replay (with an 8mb memory card) and Mech Assault soon.
So I was wondering what the best softmod would be? And how do I backup my Xbox using FTP?
infamousdice
Super Modder

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2007, 11:45:07 AM »

use Flash FTP or Cute FTP but Flash ftp is better but u only get 30 days and opening the computer does not voied ur warrentie cuz what if u bought a bigger hd u have to open ur computer to put the hd in microsoft dont care if u open there computers

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: