Softmod Depot
March 28, 2024, 10:31:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length
News: 10.23.09 - The website is fully operational again. Thank you for the patience as we put everything back together. Check out the forums for more information if you are curious.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Demonoid's down  (Read 6115 times)
InsaneTrout
Talented Modder

View Profile WWW
« on: October 25, 2009, 02:30:22 PM »

So I know everyone probably knows this I'm not trying to state the obvious but Demonoid's down and has been down for quite some time due to a server crash or something? does anyone have specific detail as to why Demonoid has been down for a while? why hasn't it been fixed yet? they said it was due to the fact that someone hasn't been able to fix their server because they weren't available. it's been like a couple months how can they still not be available?

Kyla666 (zzk2001)
Administrator
Super Modder

Kicking ass

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2009, 02:53:39 PM »

I never go there So i have No idea  Tongue
SMD
Administrator
Administrator
Jr. Modder

:\/: Proud Sweat Shop Owner :\/:

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2009, 06:06:02 PM »

Sounds like something similar to what happened here. Data loss, probably hardware failure.

Maintenance

The site will return as soon as possible, but there was a problem that caused data loss and the person who can help us get the data back is not able to help at this moment. The site will return when we can get his help

A loss of a some months worth of activity including registered users and torrent submissions is to be expected because the backup we are hoping to get back is not up to date, so please be prepared for it

taken from Google's cache of demonoid.com

InsaneTrout
Talented Modder

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2009, 08:02:09 PM »

Sounds like something similar to what happened here. Data loss, probably hardware failure.

Maintenance

The site will return as soon as possible, but there was a problem that caused data loss and the person who can help us get the data back is not able to help at this moment. The site will return when we can get his help

A loss of a some months worth of activity including registered users and torrent submissions is to be expected because the backup we are hoping to get back is not up to date, so please be prepared for it

taken from Google's cache of demonoid.com

yeah but that's what it said about a month ago  Undecided

Snafupossum
Administrator
Sr. Modder

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2009, 09:24:15 PM »

i read somewhere on digg a month or 2 ago about demonoid facing the same fate as torrentspy?

SMD
Administrator
Administrator
Jr. Modder

:\/: Proud Sweat Shop Owner :\/:

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2009, 09:43:19 PM »

I hate to be ignorant but what was the fate of torrent spy... in the interest of keeping replies going on this forum I shall not 'Google' their fate but will wait for snafu or some other epic forum member to reply Smiley

Snafupossum
Administrator
Sr. Modder

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2009, 12:58:55 AM »

well first the interwebs police told them to not let USA users on, so when you went to torrent spy using a US IP, the site pretty said FU. then they were told by the internet police to comply shut down, and they were tired of trying to fight the law and decided to quit while they were semi ahead since there were a lot of investigations going on about if what they were doing and how they were doing it was "legal". That is just a short summary of what went wrong.

I found this which seems kinda interesting
http://torrentfreak.com/demonoid-an-interview-with-their-ukranian-host-091022/

InsaneTrout
Talented Modder

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2009, 03:58:42 PM »

That was interesting, Hmmm.... wonder what's really going on. I wonder if they are trying to lay low for a bit because of the "internet police"  It's also very strange that they would go down right before  Windows 7 Release where they would get probably the most traffic than just about any other time Hmmm or maybe that's what they're trying to avoid.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: