Softmod Depot
April 27, 2024, 05:13:40 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length
News: 10.23.09 - The website is fully operational again. Thank you for the patience as we put everything back together. Check out the forums for more information if you are curious.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: I want to learn about cars...  (Read 28148 times)
skip2mylou
Sr. Modder

no wall is safe...

View Profile
« on: October 29, 2007, 04:39:23 PM »

hey, while sitting down the other day evaluating what i know, what i dont know and what i SHOULD know, the issue of cars came up. then i was hungry so i left it at that. then one day i was surfing the web and i told myself, "hey im gona buy a car" but of course i dont want any car, i want MY car. ive always loved american muscle, just because they are so powerful and i feel that there is not a more exciting feeling. so i serached around (my fave model being the 67 camaro) just searched for anything muscle related, any year woiuld do to be frank as long i was content with what i was getting. of course i cant stand that models from the 90s, it would have to be most likely a 70's or early 80's model. the 67 is kinda out of the question right now cuz well most of them are restored, or if not, extremely hard to get at my budget, maybe in the later years.  so i was searching and again it hits me like a brick...

BOOM--->> I know NoThInG about cars

i partially ran into this dilemma because i couldnt really find a car in my price range so i thought of getting a beat up one, fixing it and loving to ride it.

but ok my main question is that, for someone like me, a total beginner who wants to learn whatever there is to know, i dont care how long it takes, what do i do from here, square one, to start learning about cars. any specific book titles. my exposure to seeing someone work from a car is limited, so id have to learn it myself with almost no hands on. but i still feel its possible so if anybody would be so kind as to point me in the right direction, it would be great. thanks.

skip

Snafupossum
Administrator
Sr. Modder

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2007, 05:00:12 PM »

first thing is, the best car to learn on, is a older car, under 1980, as they are simpler in design, and no computer controlling points like EFI (electronic fuel injection). I myself knew a good amount for my age about cars, then me and my dad bought a 1971 chevy c-10. it has been a great learning experience for me, I have redone almost every part of the truck except the internals of the engine. Best thing to do, is find a car you would prefer to work on, or that is in your budget, and get a mechnics book on it, like they have at autoparts stores, that will help you with brakes, transmission, oil types, brake repair and so on. also, tuning wise, you should get a carburetor quide on the carb you will be using. I have a barry grant blow through, but thats just because i have to with my turbo. eldelbrock is a good carb to go with, and they have carbs to go with all engine sizes and so on (us domestic). when looking for a car, look for one with LITTLE TO NO RUST. places to check just by eye are, bottoms of doors, to see if they are rusted, or paint is wrinkling, because thats a big sign on rust, same with behind the rear tires on the rear quater panels. The best thing about doing older cars are, they arent that hard unless you want them to be, and you can make them into any car that you want. my truck is a hybrid, outside, its all race, inside its all luxury.

you can look at pics of my truck here : Myspace album

p.s. Books are your friend when it comes to fixing up, internet is your frined when it comes to tuning and making it nice, because more then likely, if your haveing a problem, someone some where online has had the same problem
« Last Edit: October 29, 2007, 05:01:49 PM by Snafupossum » Logged

skip2mylou
Sr. Modder

no wall is safe...

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2007, 05:51:22 PM »

hey snaf i jus really wana thank 4 taking the time 2 really explain it 2 me. i cant say that enough, thanks man. im gona look around some more 4 that "learner" car. ill let u know wen ive picked it out. ur the man. later.

Snafupossum
Administrator
Sr. Modder

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2007, 10:17:21 AM »

skip, any updates on your vehicle search? I just got my transmission rebuilt just a few weeks ago and it went out again, the guy said the only way it could of gone out was if i had atleast 700hp O.o . I know i had about 600 hp but no where near 700 since i havent had my truck dyno'ed yet. Thank god for warranties Wink

skip2mylou
Sr. Modder

no wall is safe...

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2007, 05:23:27 PM »

hey snaf, first of all, ur truck is BADASS! it rocks. about the learning about cars, i took ur advice, and while i cant really afford a project car and the fixing ups, i decided to take some courses at a nearby college in the summer. from what ive read, its pretty hands on and it teaches me what ill need to know before i can move on. they teach with real cars and, like i said, real hands on, exactly what i need. u can expect me to keep checking back with u during the courses and i know ur gonna be hanging out, cuz hey... its gonna be summer, but whatever ill learn, ill run it by u and see if uve get an snaf-mojo to add to it. thanks man. and hey if it gets to the point where im buggin u, just be like "leave n00b!" lol. later.

Snafupossum
Administrator
Sr. Modder

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2007, 09:08:34 PM »

lol skip, your no problem, everyone that knows me comes to me when they need help with either a car or electronic or anything. you will need a half decent job if you want to work on a car, because they can be kind of a money pit sometimes, but nothing beats the joy you get in the fact that you did it. But since you will be taking that class, you might be able to get a job at like a mechanic shop. that would be a really nice place to work as your boss would more then likely let you use the shop after hours and stuff. My summer job keeps me busy a lot about 10 hour days Sad . last summer i made about 4k and about 1k of that just went into the stereo. but me and my dad have been talking lately about selling the truck, since theres not much more we can do to it. then we can get a new play toy like a motorcycle or something, in matter of fact, when we took my 4wheeler in to get it worked on, we looked at some bikes. but bikes are pretty dam expensive.

skip2mylou
Sr. Modder

no wall is safe...

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2007, 10:07:51 PM »

dude that some awesome stuff. but the truck in my opinion is way too cool to sell. speaking of bikes. my cousin got a job at Harley Davidson, and they said that when he becomes permanent, theyll pay for him to get his M license (for bikes) and theyll let him use the company bikes whenever he wants. i just thought that was pretty sweet. plus i really like bikes, but like cars, i know nothing about em either. but theyre totally badass. lol.

Snafupossum
Administrator
Sr. Modder

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2007, 08:15:03 AM »

yeah, thats cool, my dad use to be a co-owner of a bike shop way back when. Harley's arent my style though, i like sports bikes way more. We looked at a yamaha R1, but thats just a death rocket Smiley .

rattmansam
Talented Modder

If I got it, I mod it!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2007, 03:07:39 AM »

here is sometin for ya 1967 shelby gt500 did not actually have 500 horses it only had 445-495 it varys between month it only has a i think a 454 in it and thats a v8 it is pure muscle car. other 1995 mclaren f1 lm
held fastest speed record for a street legal car at 267 for 7 years or so last time i checked. bugatti veyron now fastest street legal car at about 700-750 horses and lasts at full speed 12 minutes on a full tank of gas
hold speed record at 409 kph.

I like tacos.

Snafupossum
Administrator
Sr. Modder

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2008, 04:33:23 PM »

well here is just another update, i got another car, its a 1974 chevy nova, completly bone stock, and went through a basline restoration just a year ago(rust removed, new paint, new seats, engine rebuilt). it will be my new project/daily driver.

ps- rattmansam, 454 is a bbc Wink i think you meant a 428.

edit- i forgot to mention i got the car for only 3,300 Smiley

GamezR2EZ
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2008, 05:44:19 PM »

igot a saturn sli 95' with 54,000 miles......... 2,250......... i think they ADDED rust and charged me for it Tongue
actually its in GREAT condition, nothing i can find wrong with it (minor cosmetic damage)
Snafupossum
Administrator
Sr. Modder

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2008, 06:13:06 PM »

mine is in the shop atm because it had been stolen at one time and the back window was bashed and the driver side had been beaten witha  bat, but that was apart of the sale was to have all that fixed. ill get pictures up once i get it home and all spiffy.

skip2mylou
Sr. Modder

no wall is safe...

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2008, 07:52:22 PM »

oooh so many goodies! hehe, hey snaf are u painting the automobile urself? do u have a whole set up going on?

Snafupossum
Administrator
Sr. Modder

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2008, 08:07:22 PM »

no, i havent got into painting "real" cars yet, but i would like to get into airbrush graphics. I have done some rc car bodys though. I just have a normal garage of a average person tool wise that is used by a real man. no plasma cutters or $5,000 welder or trusty tube bender like they make it seem like are people have on those car shows. probably the most tool extensive thing i have done is install ar stereos because it requires a hole saw, wire cutters, wire strippers, drill, saw, dremel tool, and some homemade tools such as a tool to lift carpet to i can run cables under the carpet rather then the cheap way of under the car. thats one good think about working on old cars is you need little to no special tools that you wouldnt find in a normal craftsman tool box kit. that is unless you wanna rebuild the engine then there are some special tools that can cost a pretty penny some times.

skip2mylou
Sr. Modder

no wall is safe...

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2008, 08:10:26 PM »

hehe. thanks for clearing that up. i had this whole image of "Snaf's garage" with like 22" chrome rinms hanging on the wall, and like neon lights. i even had this tattooed mechanic hanging out under the car in a mechanics suit, and a dude with a welders helmet...

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: