Softmod Depot
April 20, 2024, 04:13:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length
News: 10.23.09 - The website is fully operational again. Thank you for the patience as we put everything back together. Check out the forums for more information if you are curious.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Setting transparency in images...  (Read 6227 times)
skip2mylou
Sr. Modder

no wall is safe...

View Profile
« on: January 05, 2007, 04:27:07 PM »

hey everyone, theres this problem thats been buggin me for a long time. see cuz, theres a ton of cool character images (particularly HALO) online, but they have their own background. like such:

but thats ok cuz i cut em out...

but now i have this white background where the old image background used to be. how can i convert the white background to transparent using photoshop? see i usually do it using Jasc Animation shop, but i dont wanna have to use two programs. anyw advice would be greatly appreciated. thanks.

skip

SMD
Administrator
Administrator
Jr. Modder

:\/: Proud Sweat Shop Owner :\/:

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2007, 04:49:39 PM »

The only two supported transparent images file types that I know of are GIF and PNG. I always use photoshop. But what you need to do is convert the file to GIF or PNG and then save it. When you save it (at least w/ photoshop) you will be asked if you want to preserve transparency. yes, do that. let us know how it goes.

skip2mylou
Sr. Modder

no wall is safe...

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2007, 05:10:35 PM »

thanks SMD, when i save as PNG, i get this box:

i always click NONE.

Clowd
Jr. Modder

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2007, 07:04:58 PM »

In Photoshop, is the background white?, if so select it with the magic wand and deleate it. the area you want transparent should be in grey and white checkerboards. Then go file>saveas>and choose type>PNG.

skip2mylou
Sr. Modder

no wall is safe...

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2007, 01:55:05 AM »

hey thanks for the tip. i tried doing that, i selected the white with the magic want and when i hit delete, the back is still white... its not grey w/ white checkerboards.

*** EDIT ***
hey i just wanted to say thanks, i played around and its working, so thanks for ur tips.
another question tho.. what is that font thats used in all those sigs, its a snall font, like is always in caps, and i dont know how to explain it, oh here, its in this image: (thanks to Tutorial Tomb for the image)

anyone know that name of the font that "AIM USER" is written in? thanks

*** ANUTHA EDIT ***
thanks again guys, but dont worry, i got my lazy ass up and i checked around, its called Visitor BRK. thanks again. problem solved.

skip
« Last Edit: January 06, 2007, 02:06:36 AM by skip2mylou » Logged

Snafupossum
Administrator
Sr. Modder

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2007, 07:22:14 PM »

there is also a tool to make certain colors to dissappear and make them transparent, ill try and find the tut since idk how to get to it w/o actualy looking at photoshop and dont have it right now

skip2mylou
Sr. Modder

no wall is safe...

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2007, 11:58:21 PM »

thanks a lot Snafu.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: