Softmod Depot
March 19, 2024, 01:37:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length
News: 10.23.09 - The website is fully operational again. Thank you for the patience as we put everything back together. Check out the forums for more information if you are curious.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: How to setup Surreal 64 w/ ROMs  (Read 77914 times)
kingyiff
« on: October 24, 2005, 08:00:21 PM »

How to setup Surreal 64 With ROMs.

This has been asked many times, so I decided to write a how to tutorial for setting up your Surreal 64 to show your N64 ROMs correctly.

Things needed
1. A connection to your xbox from your PC
2. Surreal 64 (can be obtained from our Files section)
3. A N64 *ROM (which too can be obtained from the usual places) For this case I will use Zelda: Ocarina of Time
4. And a brain would help!  Wink

A VERY thorough step by step guide

Step 1: Hook your xbox up to your PC

Step 2: Make sure that your xbox has an IP address.

Step 3: Use some sort of FTP application such as FlashFXP, CuteFTP, SmartFTP, or even Internet Explorer will do the trick to connect to your xbox.

Step 4: Once you are connected to your xbox transfer over the downloaded surreal folder that you got from our Files section (Make sure you unzipped it) to where your Apps are stored, or if you are obsessive like me you could just make a new folder called E:\Emulators\ and then edit your Dashboards to look there for Emulators. Go to you directory where Surreal 64 and make a folder called roms. Then in the Surreal 64 directory (not the roms folder) you should see a file called surreal.ini , you need to copy this to the desktop.

Step 5: Open the surreal.ini on your desktop and make sure yours says this:

[Settings]
Rom Path=D:\Roms

Step 6: Download some n64 ROMs from either www.emuparadise.org or www.romhustler.net

Step 7: Extract the ROMs you just downloaded from one of those sites to a new folder on your desktop, and then FTP them from your desktop to your Xbox in the folder you made earlier called Roms.Reboot your xbox and then load Surreal 64 that should show up in your Apps.

Step 8: Click the Refresh button at the bottom right of the Surreal 64 main menu and your game should show up.

NOTES:
Make sure that your ROM has the extension of .z64 or .v64 NOT .rom !!!
If you followed this tutorial to a science and your ROMs still aren't showing up find E:\TDATA\a64fea57\ and delete the folder. Then reboot and launch Surreal64.

Hope that helps.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2006, 12:30:05 PM by Dr Fweega » Logged
SMD
Administrator
Administrator
Jr. Modder

:\/: Proud Sweat Shop Owner :\/:

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2005, 08:18:53 AM »

Excellent Tutorial. Very well put together.. not to mention color coded? Awesome.

jebus989
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2006, 06:06:00 PM »

Help, I followed this exactly and my roms don't show up...

Find E:\TDATA\a64fea57\

You see three files, one of them being surreal.ini (the one that matters). You can edit this, or more simply, just delete this folder a64fea57. When you reboot your xbox it will be auto created by surreal based loosley on surreals surreal.ini. This is a kinda final solution if youve tried a few simple things.

This is usually the only problem, it just depends on whether surreal created this file before or after you opened it. My surreal.ini is pointed to d:\roms\ and media to d:\media\ even though my roms arent on a disk. This doesnt matter atall. Also dont worry about renaming to match the compatiblity list, you could call one WORSTGAMEEVER.z64 and it will work fine.
hateshapedman
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2006, 12:13:11 AM »

this is my first time ever asking a question here, i have followed the directions ecactly and anytime i try to open a rom all i get is            3/4 a square and a question mark,they do not have the cover art or anything and never show the correct name.  i have tried opening the roms with 1964 proj64 and ultra64 or what ever it is that is in surreal64. i have pretty much every n64 rom and cannot get a single one to work. i tried both surreal64 and surreal64xxx and neither one work. i tried burning the roms as an iso and that did not work, ive checked all around on the web and in the forums here and cannot get this to work.  is there any way to create an iso with the emu and roms and what not all on one disc like the baed series?  are there specific roms that i have to use with the xbox or will any work, because i know the roms i have work on my pc.  i have been messing with this for like 4 or 5 hours now and cannot figure it out, i hate to be the noob that asks the stupid question but i for the life of me cannot figure this one out. i would realy apreciate any help or links or advice that would opint me in the direction to get this to work. thanks guys.
nxwhitney
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2006, 07:10:12 PM »

OKay here goes....

I have tried just about everything suggested to no avail.  My surreal.ini files displays as follows:

[Settings]
Rom Path=F:\Roms\N64\
Media Path=F:\Media\

Both of the directories are there and match case-sensitivly.  I checked "E:\TDATA\a64fea57\" and there was no *.ini there.  Most of the forum topics allude that users are running Surreal64, when I am running SurrealXXX.  Is there something different that I should as I "believe" that I am running a different emu?  I got these to run on an xbox that nrother had, but I am positive that the roms were in the E:\ drive and not on the extra as is mine.

Thoughts?
drfweega
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2006, 01:31:57 PM »

Maybe try changing the Rom and Media Path to D:\ instead of F:\ and hit the Refresh button in your Emulator. Just a guess.

If that doesn't work I would try a different emulator.
nxwhitney
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2006, 09:16:17 PM »

Didn't work... Sad

However, I decided to back step a little and I loaded up the ol' Slayer's Disk and started over (nothing like a fresh install to clear the senses).  I modified the Surreal.ini file before I ftp'ed it over and ran it and all went fine.  I was also running into a problem into a problem with MAMEoX.  I had acquired some roms that did not have the CHD'd included and the emulator required them to be present.  Even after I acquired the CHD, it still wouldn't run them (said they were missing from the *.zip file).  But they work now.  Obviously, some of these emu's are caching settings "somewhere" in the directories, but I was never able to find them.  At least it works though!

Not to sound like an ass-kisser, but I have found 99% of my answers here.  Thanks to all for being patient with the newbies!
skip2mylou
Sr. Modder

no wall is safe...

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2006, 10:35:52 AM »

if the extension is *.v64 is there any way to change it to *.z64?

drfweega
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2006, 12:01:05 PM »

I doubt it. There might be a converter out there though.
skip2mylou
Sr. Modder

no wall is safe...

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2006, 01:45:22 PM »

no matter, i was able to find most of the v64's as z64's so in the end its all good. thanks.

pfat
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2007, 10:38:10 AM »

Is there a way I can put the emu and roms on a disk? (my sis is running out of room on her box)
drfweega
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2007, 01:08:04 PM »

Yeah, all you have to do is use Craxtion.
pfat
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2007, 05:10:14 PM »

ok im doing somthing wrong, I have a .iso with the sureal emu and roms, so i think im doing something wrong in the burning process. I open up nero and burn the .iso. when I put the disk in, my box recognizes sureal64 inside the tray but, when I press launch dvd it goes to the loading screen and stays there. I tried reburning it at a slower speed, same thing happend. Is there a tut somwhere i missed? or help me out plz...
drfweega
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2007, 05:36:35 PM »

Hmm, this is the first time I've ever been stumped... give me a little while to think about it.
pfat
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2007, 01:07:32 AM »

ok. maybe it has something to do with how i formatted the stuff on the disk b4 i made it an iso? idk, just guessing..... its probly a lil thing a 4got to do, like always!
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: