Softmod Depot
April 19, 2024, 05:38:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length
News: 10.23.09 - The website is fully operational again. Thank you for the patience as we put everything back together. Check out the forums for more information if you are curious.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Xbox USB Keyboard & Mouse  (Read 7238 times)
FlareT
Jr. Modder

View Profile
« on: August 19, 2005, 04:22:09 AM »

For those of you who are too scared to open up a few cords or just don’t care to...then you don’t have to, just buy a converter off EBay. But I do stress that you should think of this as a learning experience, and see how simple the coolest things can be. This will be step by step to keep from any confusion.

Tools and Hardware Needed:
Soldering Iron (and solder...duh ; )
!!!And of course know how to solder!!!
Foil Paper
Black Electrical Tape
Wire Strippers or sharp Blade
(2)Xbox Control Break Away Cable (depending on which approach you decide to take)
USB cable from Keyboard/Mouse or male side extension USB cord
Keyboard and/or Mouse
Clips or something to hold everything still
& Lots of Patients and Willingness to learn...don't give up.

Short introduction to Xbox USB:
USB cords and Xbox Cords are virtually the same thing, with the exception of a useless yellow wire. The USB is made up of four wires: red & black are electrical wires, and green & white are for data. The Xbox cable is simply a USB with an Xbox outer casing and some white Plastic. Good idea on Microsoft’s side...cuts down on Xbox costs by about 5 bucks :-)

Getting Started:
First you need to choose what approach you want to use to convert your keyboard and mouse. If your mouse connects to your keyboard that’s half the job done for you, and one more unused controller port-You will only one break away cable in this situation.
Approaches come in these orders...

Keyboard= keyboard/Mouse
^^      = USB cable
##       = soldering Point
Xbox USB    = Tip of break away cable that connects to Xbox
C Break   = Tip of Xbox controller cable (break away)

1. Keyboard^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^-####-xbox USB...
(Straight connection)

2. Keyboard^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^-####-C Break...
(Connects to break away cable like an Xbox controller, but ruins an Xbox controller tip)

3. Keyboard^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^-####-Xbox USB/Regular USB...
(This is a split making break away cable always connected to keyboard but able to connect an Xbox controller also)

In this tutorial we will be making a "straight connection" it is very easy and if you mess up...it only means one less break away cable,  although you can try many times just by snipping the USB cables and starting over...USB’s are forgiving.

*SMD*Note! *I nor is SMDepot responsible for any damages that can and may happen to your hardware…and blah blah blahh I’m cool with you SMDmembers, but I don’t know about our guests…lol no worries. We rule this world!*SMD*

Step 1: cut off the regular USB tip from your keyboard/mouse leaving yourself plenty of regular USB cable.

Step 2: cut off tip of break away cable that connects to Xbox controller which leaves you about 1.5in. of Xbox USB cable to use.

Step 3: strip down both USB cable ends about 1in.leaving you 1in. of exposed wires on both cables.lol

Step 4: strip down all wires (except yellow) about 3/8ths of an in. or enough to twist together

Note!*(twist then solder and tape one wire at a time...don’t try to solder all then tape!!!!)
         *(The two cables should have matching colored wires...or you have a funked up USB!)
         *( Do the green and white wires first because they are the smallest and hardest.)_

Step 5: Take green wire, match with other green wire, twist, solder, cover with foil, then cover with a little tape.

Note!*(Double check all soldering _
        *(To make taping easier simply tape wire 2, 3, and 4 pairs against the last pair (without them toughing of course).

Step 6: once done with all that soldering and taping, reinforce your new cable with tape all around the connecting point insuring that you won’t need to go back for repairs.

Now just plug & play,

Have fun.

SMDFlaherty

IF YOU MOD IT...THEY WILL COME!
Boost
Softmod Elite
Administrator
Sr. Modder

yeah, we can do that

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2005, 10:06:50 AM »

you da man Flare-gizzle

godd stuff

I like the blah blah blah part, but I don't have any Blahs around the house??? where can I get that?

I'll have to make do with what I have.

good tut

BOOST

Sig Built by BOOST

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: