Softmod Depot
March 28, 2024, 09:45:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length
News: 10.23.09 - The website is fully operational again. Thank you for the patience as we put everything back together. Check out the forums for more information if you are curious.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Creating a USB to Xbox Cable  (Read 35794 times)
skip2mylou
Sr. Modder

no wall is safe...

View Profile
« on: December 17, 2006, 03:18:54 PM »

hey everyone, here's another way to get around the whole action replay thing when softmodding. this tut shows how to make ur own USB to Xbox cable so that u can hook up memory devices, USB lights, and many things that run via USB and linux.

Materials:
- 1 Xbox breakaway cable (its the cable that usually comes with orig XB controllers, but u should get a seperate one)
i bought one for $5 at EB games, worth it IMO, but if u cant find these cords anywhere, u can find them HERE for $2.50.
the ends look like this:

- USB female

Procedure:
1) cut breakaway in half and strip about an inch off the wire so that it looks like this.

2) solder wires onto USB female. (do not solder the yellow wire as it is useless)
1-Red
2-white
3-Green
4-Black

3) tape up USB female end so that wires are covered and the end is rigid enough to withstand breakage.
the end result should look something like this:

If you are lookin to make a Xbox to USB adapter, Zzk2001 has a great tut online --> LINK
.:Props:.

-----------------------

after u have created the cable, u may use it to softmod.

Materials:
- USB flashdrive (the bigger memory the better)
- the cable u just created
- Action Replay software (download from HERE)

Note: for the USB Flash drive, the Xbox will first erase all of its contents, so make sure to remove anything that you cannot afford to loose. also, not all drives will work. just a fair warning.

Procedure:
1) hook up USB flashdrive to the cable and connect cable to xbox (controller port 1)
2) in the Xbox dashboard, select Memory. You may get a message that the memory card could not be read and was erased. That is ok, and means it was recognized. You should see your controller listed on the memory screen
3) you can now use ur USB flashdrive to softmod, to do so follow this great tut by ZZk2001. Click here ---> LINK.
Keep in mind: that the tut by Zzk2001 calls for the action replay 8MB Xbox mem card, u however are using the USB flashdrive.
---------------------------

Now for the most important step, i cannot stress how crucial this one is...
Help SMDepot and DONATE <--- click me

and thats it, good luck.

- skip2mylou
« Last Edit: February 20, 2007, 04:57:12 PM by zzk2001 » Logged

skip2mylou
Sr. Modder

no wall is safe...

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2006, 07:12:46 AM »

i didnt know there was already a tut like this online. please believe me i never meant to offend anyone.
Zzk2001, just gimme the word and ill delete this post asap. thanks for the heads up.

drfweega
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2006, 03:12:08 PM »

Yeah those are some nice pics. If you didn't write it skip then who did?
skip2mylou
Sr. Modder

no wall is safe...

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2006, 03:50:25 PM »

i did write this one, used my own pics and stuff. but i didnt check to see if someone has already created a tut similar to this. apparently Zzk2001, wrote a tut similar to this one, involving a cable that does the reverse of the cable in this tut (sorry for the mix up Zzk2001, ur a good man for being so reasonable).

skip

skip2mylou
Sr. Modder

no wall is safe...

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2006, 09:03:16 PM »

just wanted to bring this to attention:

if ur really scared about making this cord, because the thought of minor cutting and soldering scares the living u know what out of u, u can  actually buy this same cord from llama.com --> LINK

drfweega
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2006, 09:06:18 PM »

I just made a Xbox controller to USB for my PC yesterday so that my brother and I could play Twisted Metal 3 on my computer because the Xbox is a piece of crap and can't play it. Cheesy
Kyla666 (zzk2001)
Administrator
Super Modder

Kicking ass

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2006, 01:58:47 AM »

lets say it never happen =)
(sorry man i did not mean to go off on you i was just pissed off that day by my sister )
skip2mylou
Sr. Modder

no wall is safe...

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2006, 10:49:20 PM »

great, makes me feel better.

Attention
please note the change the above tut. i had previously stated that after making this cable, ud be able to softmod. why did i say that? well apart from the fact that im an idiot... im an idiot. it turns out that u cannot softmod using this cable, however, when u do have a softmodded XB, u can use this cable to transfer stuff from a USB drive and such and u can plug in a keyboard (i have actually tried and it works fine). sorry for the inconvenience and thanks for understanding.

skip

Kyla666 (zzk2001)
Administrator
Super Modder

Kicking ass

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2006, 11:18:13 AM »

Yes you Can use this to Softmod 

you can take a Thumb drive and use as a xbox Memcard
skip2mylou
Sr. Modder

no wall is safe...

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2006, 02:59:29 PM »

really, cuz i tried and my systems wasnt recognizing it. i think there may have been a problem with my soldering. thanks fro clearing that up tho, ill make the nesseccary changed in the tut. so there u have it folks, the tut is accurate, you CAN softmod using this cable.

Snafupossum
Administrator
Sr. Modder

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2006, 05:04:28 PM »

yea when your in the M$ dash  it automaticaly formats the drive so the xbox can reconize it

skip2mylou
Sr. Modder

no wall is safe...

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2006, 09:40:14 PM »

good to know. ill resolder and when  get my XB up and running, ill try it again.

r_kelly34
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2007, 09:10:57 AM »

Hehe Im currently working on a hub version of this.

Hope it works........

Ill let u kno how it turns out.

!!!! it, the solderer just broke on me. So close, just gotta Solder wires together.

If this doesnt wirk i can still use 1 of the usb ports and it'll at least look like a hub. If it works tho, ill post up a tut.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2007, 09:48:34 AM by r_kelly34 » Logged
skip2mylou
Sr. Modder

no wall is safe...

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2007, 10:51:24 AM »

sounds like plan man, look forward to seeing what u got cookin. later.

r_kelly34
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2007, 10:49:41 AM »

Bad news, th xbox wont read the hub. I just wasted half an hour soldering then trying to get it to work, but no go.

Ill have to just take and cut it, then put an ordinary usb female onto it.
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: