Softmod Depot
April 15, 2024, 10:28:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length
News: 10.23.09 - The website is fully operational again. Thank you for the patience as we put everything back together. Check out the forums for more information if you are curious.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: What can you do with your Softmodded xbox !  (Read 17625 times)
adeelmahmood
« on: December 13, 2006, 01:36:34 PM »

I am new to xbox-softmodding. I think this website and especially these forums are a great resource on softmodding information. I think that a lot of people new to softmodding would wanna know (along with other information) that, what exactly can they accomplish by softmodding their xbox. Since I had a hard time collecting this information, I thought it might be a good idea to share what I have found out, over this past 3 day research, with someone looking for this information.
This is what I have learnt this far, Please add on:

- well first off you can get rid of the regular xbox starting screens (dashboard) and have some cool menus instead
- you can copy Games (DVD's) to your xbox hard drive and play the game without the need of the disc
- you can have a FTP connection to your xbox, which means you can copy stuff from your PC to your xbox and vice versa
- you can copy music, videos, divx pretty much anything to your xbox and play em using XBMC
- you can play games from other (old) consoles using Emulators
- you can burn CD's and DVD's and use em in your xbox for games, movies whatever
- you can share stuff between your PC and xbox so u can stream music/movies from your PC to xbox
- browse internet on your xbox (I am not sure about this one works though - or which software/app is required for this or if there is any)
- you can dual boot to still be able to play online (xbox live)

I am sure these are a few of the many other things you can do with your softmodded xbox. Feel free to add on to this.

Again, Thanks to everyone contributing to make these forums a great resource on softmodding.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2006, 02:09:43 PM by adeelmahmood » Logged
Kyla666 (zzk2001)
Administrator
Super Modder

Kicking ass

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2006, 04:37:09 PM »

when you dual boot to Xbox live you must have stock HDD and can NOT use a copyed game (just a heads up)

i have had reports of some Not getting banned with a bigger HDD and some getting Banned

So try at own risk....

still best to just swap out  when ever you need to get on live place you'r stock hdd in xbox
and when you want to have a mod xbox place bigger HDD in =) works well for me and 100% sure i will not get banned

as for browse internet  Yes there is a program (But sucks very much)

Not all Xbox's can boot CD's  check you're DVD-rom and Make sure  what format it can take

XBMC can play ANYthang =)  oog,mkv,divx,xvid,wmv,mp3,wav,(some xboxgames movies), Name it Most likely it can play it

with Games on HDD you can chage the games/Mod them anyway you like (add music, change skins, etc etc)
adeelmahmood
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2006, 11:03:55 AM »

Question about Emulators:
I downloaded the SNES and Playstation emulator from smdepot and moved it over to my xbox. I was wondering, with these emulators am I going to be able to use a ROM from just anywhere coz I downloaded some ROMS from  afew different websites and about half of em worked perfectly fine and about half had different problems. Like I was playing Contra 3 and as soon as u get a certain point in the first level , the game just kind of restarts you from the start of the level and some other games just wouldnt play.
I was hoping to get a suggestion on what would be the best place to get ROMS to use with the Emulators you guys have on this site OR may be this is how its going to be, not every ROM is gonna work

Question about Homebrew games in SMD Auto-Installer:
How do these Homebrew games work. I know that the SMD auto-installer probably has all the instructions but I dont have a DVD writer yet so I was hoping to just find some Homebrew game and get em to work. So do they need to be copied somewhere in the xbox for it to know that its a game, can someone plz tell me the process for making homebrew games work.

Another question:
Can you use a SATA hard drive as a second harddrive for your xbox

Thanks for your help.

EDIT-
One more thing that I noticed was that I was only able to FTP to my xbox when the Unleash (thats wat I am using) dashboard is on. If I was playing a game, I couldnt connect to my xbox. If that true then what if something goes wrong and you cant get to the dashboard and you wanna copy the backed up stuff (C,E drives) back on ur xbox. I am guessing FTP wouldnt work then, wat is the point of backing up all this stuff then !!!
« Last Edit: December 14, 2006, 03:36:45 PM by adeelmahmood » Logged
Kyla666 (zzk2001)
Administrator
Super Modder

Kicking ass

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2006, 02:41:15 PM »

1.  Some places just have Bad Dumps and it could be the EMulator as well

2.  you just copy the Homebrew game folder to Games folder

3.  No

4.  you copy the C: and E: drives to your PC" then if Xbox gets messed up you can use a program call XboxHDm to remake the HDD
Long as you got your eeprom.bin you Can Never go wrong
adeelmahmood
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2006, 04:59:00 PM »

good to know .. Thanks
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: