Softmod Depot
April 19, 2024, 10:45:48 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length
News: 10.23.09 - The website is fully operational again. Thank you for the patience as we put everything back together. Check out the forums for more information if you are curious.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Need some help getting into Anime.  (Read 27688 times)
drfweega
« on: November 30, 2006, 02:47:50 PM »

Hey,

I have been watching some Naruto recently on Cartoon Network and I just bought the complete set off of Ebay 1-210 episodes for a whopping $25 plus $5 shipping. I have also been told by some friends that Rurouni Kenshin (Samurai X)  is really good too.

Does anyone else like Anime here, or does anyone have any suggestions on what I could watch to get into Anime?

Thanks,
Dr Fweega
crappyone
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2006, 04:26:01 PM »

I just happen to love anime and have been watching it for quite a few years now.
Kenshin IS a very good anime. We watched that years ago and it still rated among one of our favorites.

2 Good places to get reviews, information and ratings on anime.
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com
http://www.animenfo.com

places to get anime torrents
http://www.anime-source.com/banzai/modules.php?name=Releases
http://www.animesuki.com/
http://www.boxtorrents.com/

Animes I would suggest watching:
Monster - This was our favorite anime. This is a Drama, Horror, Mystery, Police, Psychological type anime.
                 http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=3750
Bleach
FLCL aka Fooly Cooly aka Furi Kuri
Full Metal Alchemist
Cowboy Bebop
Read or Die (OAV)
Samurai Champloo
Ghost in the Shell (series)
Death Note
Berserk
One Piece
Last Exile
Blood+
Hellsing
Elfen Lied
Paranoia Agent
Ergo Proxy
Mushishi

And there's many more but that's just what comes to mind right now. And those are not in any order of how I rate them. That just happen to be the order I remembered them. Of course these are just what I personally like. So you might think some of them are Lame.
Also those are mostly just series animes. There some good movies out there too
A few would be:
Akira
Spirited Away
Princess Mononoke
Vampire Hunter D
Ghost in the Shell (Movie)
Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind
Final Fantasy: Advent Children
Appleseed

Well that's about all I can think of for now. Hope it helps.
drfweega
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2006, 07:44:44 PM »

Yes, that helps out a lot. Thank you.

I have been looking at Rurouni Kenshin on eBay and saw the complete directors cut 1-95 episodes for $40. Is that a good price?

The anime torrent sites you listed above are going to be added to the Torrent Sites topic.
crappyone
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2006, 08:33:25 PM »

Well I'm not really sure if that is a bad price or not. I guess if you have the money. And with the time it'd save with looking for all episodes (which I found @ BoxTorrents 1-25 26-50 51-75 76-95) and then downloading them and then putting them on DVD's, $40 not bad I guess. Also do you prefer Dubbed over Subbed? I noticed the Kenshin you were looking at was both ,but the Naruto you ordered is most likely Fansubbed and it not really the complete series. The series is still going and before yesterday that was all the episodes released, but the Fansub of 211 was just released today so it's still going, (but hey for that price I don't think that's a bad deal at all) and depending on the Fansubbed group that did them that can be good or bad.
In the forum of Anime-Planet you can find a Fansubbed quality comparison to find out which groups do which series and how well they do them and what the majority prefer.
Well I gotta put kids to bed. If I think of anything else I'll add.

*Edited post*
« Last Edit: November 30, 2006, 10:34:02 PM by crappyone » Logged
Kyla666 (zzk2001)
Administrator
Super Modder

Kicking ass

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2006, 07:43:14 AM »

i am a Super Anime user =) i have seen close to 300+ animes or More  =) all ones listed so far i have Seen =)

""NEW""DragonRom <--Man how could i forget about this one LOL 
(Sweet Anime about a Game thats More then just a Game)
Bleach <--still on going
Naruto <---still on going
Ghost in the Shell (SAC)/ 2G
FLCL <--funny But will leave you guessing and Asking 1,000 questions LOL
Cowboy Bebop <-- sweet   bounty hunter Anime
Full Metal Alchemist <-- good anime but to short
Hellsing <--damn good Bloody Anime
"I My Me! Strawberry Eggs <--Very Funny anime
Ranma ½ <-- One messed up anime LOL
DBZ <--had to add this one LOL
Samurai Champloo <--Good
Rurouni Kenshin <---good
Xenosaga <--Nice

i can't think of all the animes i have seen and alot of animes i seen Have No english title so i can't say what they are =(

ps... i only watch the SUB versions of the Animes Cuz the DUB version cut s**t out and thats Not cool
« Last Edit: December 01, 2006, 06:29:23 PM by zzk2001 » Logged
crappyone
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2006, 08:46:00 AM »

ps... i only watch the SUB versions of the Animes Cuz the DUB version cut s**t out and thats Not cool

That is SOO True. They cut out quite a bit. But if you've never watched a Fansub before you might not even know.
You figure they only have a set amount of time the character supposed to be speaking so they(eng.Dub) fit what they can into that time slot. And Sometimes it is nothing like what they say in the Real, Uncut, Japanese anime. I only watched Fansubs and have been for about 7-8 years now. I have a 3'x2' Box that weights about 100lbs with nothing but Anime in Slimline cases in it.

Awesome to see some Anime lovers here.
drfweega
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2006, 10:06:25 AM »

Yeah, I am guessing that SUB means subtitles and DUB means that they take English people and do the voices. If so, then I hate DUB and love SUB! I always like watching the original not the remake.

I am probably going to get the original Japanese Directors Cut Import of Rurouni Kenshin that I saw on eBay, because people never seed those anime shows. I am also going to look for some Bleach because I heard it was good too.

Thanks again for all the help.

*edit* What about Inuyasha?
« Last Edit: December 01, 2006, 10:32:46 AM by Dr Fweega » Logged
crappyone
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2006, 01:10:47 PM »

I honestly have not seen much of Inuyasha, but what I have seen I did enjoy. I don't know much about the story, but it is a very popular anime and I'm sure you couldn't go wrong with it. It had a pretty long running series.
drfweega
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2006, 01:14:57 PM »

Yeah it had 188 episodes! That would take a long time to watch.
Snafupossum
Administrator
Sr. Modder

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2006, 03:21:01 PM »

i will have to agree with ZZK FLCL is one other those shows that leaves u think WTF? but its funny as hell! heres some shows i like

Gundam wing
Gundam 0083
Evegallion/ neo genesus (sp)
FLCL
idk if this counts but tansformers and thundercats

drfweega
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2006, 04:40:10 PM »

Thundercats & Transformers are freaking great!
Kyla666 (zzk2001)
Administrator
Super Modder

Kicking ass

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2006, 06:27:08 PM »

Inuyasha is a good anime But don't watch it on Cartoonnetwork  Watch the SUB versions =) i see the Cartoonnetwork version alot and every time i see s**t cut out lol  i have seen All Inuyasha Eps and Movies
crappyone
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2006, 10:48:17 AM »

Yeah FLCL is great just because of how wacked it is. That was one of the first Animes I watched and I still rewatch it here and there.

Hey zzk have you seen Monster? If so what'd you think of it?
Ergo Proxy?

I also suggest Dragon Ball just because that was also one of my first animes and I got a big kick out of it. Best to watch with Subs and Uncut though. And usually when I say Subs I mean Fansubs, I don't like DVD Subs.

So Naruto is the First and Only anime you have seen? Just to know what to suggest.
drfweega
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2006, 10:53:49 AM »

Whats the diff between fansubs and DVD Subs?

Nah, DBZ was the first I saw then I watched a little Inuyasha and then Naruto. Unless Thundercats and Transformers count then they were my first. Smiley
crappyone
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2006, 01:07:39 PM »

Well hmmm. I'd say the quality of translations and the quality of the font for the translations.
Fansubs are die hard fans which are groups that pretty much translate and encode and sub animes.
And they do it very well. If you've ever watched DVD with subs and then watch a Fansub, you'd see the difference.
But, not all fansub groups do the same quality work. Somes translations suck, some have horrible fonts, some have bad encoding, etc...
Plus some of the better groups will Give extra information on what certain traditions and signs mean, and just extra tid bit of info.
Fansubbers usually do releases that are currently being aired in Japan. New episode comes out on say Wed., it'll be Fansubbed and out to download by say Fri.
But Some groups and episode take awhile to come out for various different reasons.
I posted a link earlier I believe of a place (anime-planet?) that has a Fansub quality comparison section for people to discuss the groups and the quality the are currently doing on an anime.
Well it's about lunch. Hope that helps abit.
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: