Softmod Depot
March 28, 2024, 11:58:52 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length
News: 10.23.09 - The website is fully operational again. Thank you for the patience as we put everything back together. Check out the forums for more information if you are curious.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Using usb flash drive with xbox and reading it on windows xp  (Read 5631 times)
Syco54645

View Profile
« on: November 02, 2006, 12:50:24 PM »

Well last night after much work, and a few hours of searching i found a way to use a usb flash drive with the xbox.  This is useful as it is alot cheaper (and easier) than getting the action replay.  What i did was took an xbox controller extension and cut it in half and started work on the end that plugs into the xbox plug.  i stripped about 2 inches of casing back then pulled back the shielding (saving it as it may be important).  After that was done  stripped the white, red, black and green wires (leave the pale yellow/gold wire alone, it is not needed).  i then took a usb hub (an internal  one that plugs into the mother board) and stripped the white, red, black and green wires then soldered them to the corresponding wires on the xbox half.  Since it was late and the only store that was open was satan's house of crap(aka walmart) i didnt recase the connections, so i can at least take a pic of it in this stage (i wraped the connections with scotch tape because i couldnt find any electral laying around).  After i was complete, my friend and i proceeded to plug it into controller port 2.  The first drive we tried didnt work with the xbox, but the second was noticed.  this is a 256 mb flash drive(roughly 6000 blocks).  when we first put it in, the xbox said that it was corrupt (or something) and then said that it had been erased.  GREAT!  it works!

now ends the easy part of this guide.  up until now the info was gathered off of other websites, and a little bit of common sense.

now for the hard part... reading it in the damned pc.  windows cannot read fatx, aparently linux can, but it is not built into the standard kernel.  after trying various programs on my buddys windows machine and trying stuff on my linux box, we finally found something called Xplorer360.  the latest version found the flash drive just fine, but had a problem copying a folder onto it... no problem, i just made new folders and mimiced the structre of the mech assault exploit.  we plugged it into the xbox and low and behold it worked.  the xbox is now modded with ndure and rocking some test emus since last night.

like i said, this isnt necessary, but it is certainly much cheaper than buying the action replay in order to do this.  most people have a few flash drives by now, so one of them should work.  we were going to go the route of hacking up the cord to plug an xbox controller into the pc and just use an xbox memory card, but that would have cost more than this method as most of the things were just laying around.

if you have any questions, please feel free to ask them.

-Syco54645
Syco54645

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2006, 12:52:40 PM »

oh yeah, this will also work with a usb keyboard (or i would assume)
drfweega
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2006, 02:37:37 PM »

I've made one of these before.

Nice job with the tutorial.
Syco54645

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2006, 04:29:08 PM »

I've made one of these before.

Nice job with the tutorial.

where were you last night when all of the irc people were confused by my questions about this?Huh? Cry Cry Cry
drfweega
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2006, 09:57:08 AM »

Sorry, I was watching the Thrashers get beat by the Hurricanes.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: