Softmod Depot
March 18, 2024, 11:20:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length
News: 10.23.09 - The website is fully operational again. Thank you for the patience as we put everything back together. Check out the forums for more information if you are curious.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
  Print  
Author Topic: How To FTP to your Xbox  (Read 103309 times)
NOS---

View Profile WWW
« on: July 18, 2005, 11:10:51 AM »

I figured this thread is worth starting

1) What does an FTP program do?:

An FTP Program allows access to the Hard Drive of a computer or File Server

2) What does NIC mean?

Network Interface Card

3) How do I set up an FTP?

There are many ways to set up a FTP, Hard and Cheap or Easy and Expensive. Now this requires some basic Computer skills.

Easy and exspensive=Router
Router=35-45$
Ethernet cord=10$

Setting up FTP with an Router
1). Make all the connections. Connect the Cable or DSL modem to the Routers WAN port. Connect your PC to port #1 xbox to port #2.

2). Setting up SmartFTP(This is my program of choice, there is others like FlashFTP) Load up Evox or Ltools and write down the IP: (EX:192.168.0.3). Now type the Username and Password(The Defualts are xbox and xbox) then click connect and BAM you have FTP accese to the box.

Hard and cheap=2nd NIC and crossover cable.
2Nd NIC=5$
Xbox system link cord=14$

Setting up FTP with the 2nd NIC

1). Open up the PC and install the Secoend NIC,(Make shure power is unplugged and you have touched mare metal first) Load up Windows and install the Drivers for the NIC. Now With the system link cord, Connect one end to the xbox and the other to the new NIC. Now on the bottom toolbar Click "START" Then "Help And support" and in the "search" box type "ICS" without qouets. then under "Pick a task" select "Enable Internet Connection Sharing on a network connection" only follow step 1,2 and 3. MAke shure you are sharing your INTERNET connection not the xbox's connection.

2). Setting up SmartFTP(This is my program of choice, there is others like FlashFTP) Load up Evox or Ltools and write down the IP: (EX:192.168.0.3). Now type the Username and Password(The Defualts are xbox and xbox), then click connect and BAM you have FTP accese to the box.

It says my xbox is connected but i cannot connect with any FTP programs.

Try to use Internet Explorer. Open up Inter expoler and where you type in your webpag at the addres bar, type FTP://xbox:xbox@(Your xbox's IP goes here):21  Example, FTP://xbox:xbox@192.168.0.3:21

Please tell me if i missed something or if it's unclear!
« Last Edit: November 05, 2006, 04:04:42 PM by Dr Fweega » Logged

I will answer you questions to my best ability!
SMD
Administrator
Administrator
Jr. Modder

:\/: Proud Sweat Shop Owner :\/:

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2005, 02:50:03 PM »

Freaking Awesome!!! You guys are excellent.

jebus989
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2005, 09:09:39 AM »

ok youve convinced me, a friend has an NIC 4 me and i can *get hold of* an ethernet cable.

sorry 4 being dumb but what do u mean by 2nd NIC card? Just another NIC right? If i didn't want to connect to the internet at the same time as ftp in my xbox, could i use the NIC i have?

grrrrrr i hate being so computery dum, i need to read more stuff. . .

« Last Edit: July 28, 2005, 04:10:03 PM by jebus989 » Logged
NOS---

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2005, 10:18:08 AM »

Listen You need a CROSSOVER STYLE ethernet cord. basicly an xbox system link cord. like i said go to www.ebay.com, get a free acount, buy a 50ft ethetnet CROSSOVER cable. and by 2nd NIC card i meen adding a secoend NIC card.(Sorry about confusion) please post if you have more questions .

jebus989
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2005, 01:52:46 PM »

ok excellent explanation, should be setting up soon!
NOS---

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2005, 11:30:46 PM »

Good, The more stuff you do with your computer, the better you will get. I have only been messing with xbox stuff for about 2-3 weeks andi i know almost as much as SMD.(Mostly from surfing the net).

Researching DOSE help.

NOS---

jebus989
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2005, 02:13:43 PM »

right i have the NIC card and crossover ethernet cable, but i have not installed the card yet. I am using a shamefully older version of windows than xp (am waiting for longhorn *patience jebus patience*) and in my help & support section it has this option (once i have searched fo ICS):

Internet connection sharing with DCHP

is this the same thing renamed? or is it not optional yet as i have not installed the drivers or card?
i have read it but it seems to give no info on how to enable the internet sharing connection
NOS---

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2005, 10:31:13 PM »

OK, Now i must ask what kind of internet you use first. also what version of windows.

NOS---

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2005, 10:59:38 AM »

I find it funny you ask for help then you go xbox scene, and you will probobly come back here.

But that is ok, i am always willing to help.

jebus989
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2005, 01:46:43 PM »

i just find that on xbox-scene u get a reply alot faster, but they are all mean ppl that really hate dum questions and dum ppl *shifty eyes*.
i like the way that no1 here takes the piss bcoz i am a 'n00b' and dont no what im doin alot of the time. So yeah i will ask questions here and maybe look elsewhere 2. If i have everything ready to go, i just want to get it done- not too bothered about who helps, just any1...

neho in the end no1 cud help-- i had a faulty NIC
should be gettin another 2moz
soz if u feel ive wasted ure time
NOS---

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2005, 06:33:30 PM »

I have to been in same poosition(People not answering n00bish and stupid quetions.)

In a way you have waseted my time but yet i dont care, if you use many forums you will get mixed answers, mostly wrong ones.(you need to know the OS and system specs to truly enable ICS) and i was giving you help but hey

SMD
Administrator
Administrator
Jr. Modder

:\/: Proud Sweat Shop Owner :\/:

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2005, 07:59:57 PM »

C'mon dude. No time is wasted... Im sure when you get your new NIC we'll be able to get you up and running. While NOS is right about getting mixed answers even to the most basic questions... It's entirely possible, with such a wide spectrum of ideas and solutions, that you'll find just what your looking for, even if it's not here. But WE ARE ALWAYS willing to give it a try.

This forum is just starting out... obviously... (15 members... 3-5 of which actually post heh) My goal, eventually, is to have this be a one-stop solutions for almost any Soft Mod / Xbox question. Noobish or not.

Once again, you guys are awesome..... keep it up. I'll try to post more... I read it everyday though. Smiley If that counts for anything.

jebus989
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2005, 07:07:00 AM »

hey again! great news! i have installed a new NIC, hooked it to my xbox, configured all the settings that i can. TRYED to use windows home network wizard to share my internet connection, but its not looking good. Once the wizard has finished it says: 'netconn has caused an error in 'NETCONN.exe'' os something v similar.
also the smartftp says:

SmartFTP v1.5.988.37
    Resolving host name "192.168.0.3"
    Connecting to 192.168.0.3 Port: 21
    Connected to 192.168.0.3.
220 Please enter your login name now.
    USER xbox
331 Password required for xbox.
    PASS (hidden)
230 User xbox logged in , proceed.
    SYST
215 UNIX Type: L8
    FEAT
502 feat is not implemented.
    TYPE I
200 Type set to IMAGE.
    REST 0
502 rest is not implemented.
    PWD
257 "/" is current directory
    Compression disabled for private IP addresses.
    PASV
502 pasv is not implemented.

and flashFXP says:

[R] Connecting to xbox -> IP=192.168.0.3 PORT=21
[R] Connected to xbox
[R] 220 Please enter your login name now.
[R] USER xbox
[R] 331 Password required for xbox.
[R] PASS (hidden)
[R] 230 User xbox logged in , proceed.
[R] SYST
[R] 215 UNIX Type: L8
[R] FEAT
[R] 502 feat is not implemented.
[R] REST 100
[R] 502 rest is not implemented.
[R] This site may not allow file resuming
[R] PWD
[R] 257 "/" is current directory
[R] TYPE A
[R] 200 Type set to ASCII.
[R] PORT 192,168,0,2,4,139
[R] 425 Can't open data connection to 192.168.0.2:35588
[R] List Error
[R] PORT 192,168,0,2,4,140
[R] 425 Can't open data connection to 192.168.0.2:35844
[R] List Error
[R] CDUP
[R] 250 "/" is current directory.
[R] PWD
[R] PORT 192,168,0,2,4,141
[R] 425 Can't open data connection to 192.168.0.2:36100
[R] List Error
[R] PORT 192,168,0,2,4,142
[R] 425 Can't open data connection to 192.168.0.2:36356
[R] List Error
[R] PWD
[R] PORT 192,168,0,2,4,143
[R] QUIT
[R] Logged off: xbox

does any of this mean anything to anyone?
thanks for any answers ( i wont be asking newhere else for as long as my patience can bear it)

[edit] i have discovered that netconn.exe is a commonly found faulty app with windows ME, i have now set up the ICS and have an icon in my quik launch bar that says '1 computer is using the internet connection'- is this the one im on or the xbox?
« Last Edit: July 22, 2005, 08:30:19 AM by jebus989 » Logged
NOS---

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2005, 08:49:52 AM »

Now is you (DSL)MODEM connect to your comupter by a USB cord or a cord like the system link? make shure you are sharing you INTERNET connecting, not you XBOX connection. and is you xbox ON? also, if it says 1 computer is connected to your connection, you xbox is not connected. i woulod like to take over you system over the net and do this myself, and get you running.(dont worry, SMD did it to mine, that is how he fixed my box) right click "My Computer" and select "FIND" and search EVERYTHING and type, "Remote Assistance" then find a shortcut with that name. and at the bottem it will say save as an E-Mail Attachment, click that and send it to Nitrious@gmail.com

jebus989
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2005, 09:01:01 AM »

ok r u online now?
there r no shortcuts to anything 'remote assistance' like, or any shortcuts atall

...im still trying...
« Last Edit: July 22, 2005, 09:08:24 AM by jebus989 » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
  Print  

Jump to: