Softmod Depot
March 28, 2024, 02:13:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length
News: 10.23.09 - The website is fully operational again. Thank you for the patience as we put everything back together. Check out the forums for more information if you are curious.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Laptop won't start -- Need info off of HDD  (Read 6643 times)
Coburn
Talented Modder

View Profile
« on: July 25, 2010, 06:17:45 PM »

Hey guys, my brother-in-law has a laptop that has Vista on it and one day it got stuck at the loading screen. It sits at the start up screen and loads forever. Not a problem for me cuz I can wipe the hard drive and put on any OS I want.

Problem is, he wants the multimedia stuff off of the hard drive....

So, how can I access the hard drive and copy files to a USB device without Windows? I don't have a hard drive enclosure and whatnot, so the hard drive has to stay in the actual laptop...

realg123
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2010, 09:47:13 AM »

You could try safemode see if that works.
If that doesnt work you could like what you thought of taking the hard drive out and using an external case
Coburn
Talented Modder

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2010, 12:58:31 PM »

Safe mode didn't work. But I foud out a way to do it. My old boot CD called SLAX Linux! Just booted that and copied the files over.

But now it won't install Linux, Windows XP, OR Windows 7. I think the hard drive has a bad sector or something, because that seems to be the problem.

Kyla666 (zzk2001)
Administrator
Super Modder

Kicking ass

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2010, 04:13:50 PM »

Try doing a delete partition then Full format (see if that works) if that does not work try some HDD repair programs
realg123
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2010, 05:17:10 PM »

some laptops/desktops (such as dell) wont allow you to install windows unless you're using their cds/dvds that came with them
Coburn
Talented Modder

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2010, 05:53:50 PM »

It's an Acer Aspire 5720z.

Nothing can withstand the extensive tests of Norton Ghost! It's checking my hard drive for errors. Sector by sector.

Then I'll write over the WHOLE thing with zeros. Twice.

If that won't help, I have a large array of guns I will use on it. That way we all win.  Grin

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: