Softmod Depot
March 28, 2024, 11:50:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length
News: 10.23.09 - The website is fully operational again. Thank you for the patience as we put everything back together. Check out the forums for more information if you are curious.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: major help needed plz  (Read 13670 times)
bonecrusher

View Profile
« on: February 10, 2010, 07:17:27 PM »

I've been interested in modding my xbox 360 since i got the thing.

I've got a medium collection of games which I'm kinda bored with ATM
so i want to copy games from my mates' or borrow and copy, or just download em, i don't really want to do the other things with the xbox, you know, modding the games and what not. XBMC I'm kinda interested in, but its not essential, also, i want the option to play on-line and not get banned.

as far as I'm concerned, theres softmod, and hardmod, i like the option to softmod as theres no chance of  Lips Sealed my xbox up as hardmod gives the chance to ruin it. I've searched for hours on end on how to do it, but i constantly come up with a softmod which you need a 007 game to do it, and i think its for the original xbox anyway. there is this great post by Splortched http://www.smdepot.net/forum/index.php?topic=2672.msg23209#msg23209, i understand it requires opening up my xbox360 and all that, so I'm OK with the idea.

i don't really want to buy a whole lot of things to softmod my xbox, such as, 'xecuter' who have something to open up the xbox easily, some tool of some sort. i just want to open it up, softmod it to the ability to play 'copied' games.

i will admit, I'm a noob when it comes to this topic to my xbox, but i am very savvy to computers, creating my own OS is what I'm proud of =D

there are no places on the net as far as I'm concerned to give instruction of what I'm looking for, so please provide guidance to this noob to softmod his xbox 360

please note, there is no need to give a similar (long) response like Splortched's, but what I'm looking for is a video or something to answer my questions and my fears.

please be cooperative, as i want to get this done ASAP, if i sound 'blazay' about what i need then please ask and ill answer

bonecrusher

P.S. if i can give something back then please ask, i can offer a wide variety on anything you need for computers, but I'm a little tight on money ATM, hence why i don't really want to buy a whole lot of things

my email is jlevada@bigpond.com so feel free to contact me there if not here, either way...
Art2Fly
Talented Modder

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2010, 08:48:20 PM »

K, im the guy here for that (or snafu) but you cannot install XBMC yet on a 360. All that is out right now is Homebrew enabling for pre-July dashboards (meaning you havnt been on xbox live since June) and that is a hardmod. It leads to very good things, it is rahter difficult and involves wiring up a parrallel port to several nodes on your xbox 360 motherboard. I have done it its about 8/10 difficulty, but you have to have a compatible xbox again. ANOTHER solution (my personal xbox) is flashing the DVD drive with custom firmware. THis allows the xbox to think that a DVD+R DL is a retail 360 disc and boots it up as a game. I get on live with LT firmware.... THe LT firmware is available for only Liteon drives. Again im just generalizing. If you are interested some more post some more specific info on what you want to do. You are confusing regular xbox with xbox 360 so no XBMC.
xbox360iso.com

" I'm gonna rip your throat and s**t down your neck!" -- Duke Nukem
All in all, it was a good day. Especially considering I didn't even have to use my AK.
bonecrusher

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2010, 11:15:27 PM »

thanks for getting back to me art2fly

sorry, thought you could get XBMC on 360 aswell, my bad

what is homebrew?? what do you mean 'pre-july', last ive been on live is last year either mid june of after (my birthday is june, so i got live about then). stupid question: june last year?, it was a 3month sub...

if i believe you right, thats hardmod, right?

flashing the DVD drive, im familiar with that off a website i saw b4... i like the idea of that, i like to keep my xbox with no problems, so i think that will be the option =D
what is LT firmware? Liteon drives?
how do i do that? links to walkthrough? video?

i like that xbox360iso.com link, i will sign up to that ASAP

i would like to go for the firmware/flashing option plz, is that the softmod?

bonecrusher
bonecrusher

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2010, 11:37:28 PM »

lite-on drives are actual drives that are already flashed, correct?
Art2Fly
Talented Modder

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2010, 06:17:40 PM »

Sorry for the late reply, but bonecrusher. Flashing your xbox 360 is the easiest way to let you play backup games. Though your xbox may be jtaggable for your amount of knowledge you should flash it. A lite-on drive is a DVD drive manufacturer that came stock with all xboxes after November 2008. Your xbox should have this drive. You will need to buy some extra things i warn tho. You will need to buy a VIA6421A PCI card "yeah you cant have a laptop, at least without significant difficulty" and a what i call a Xbox 360 connectivity kit, with a probe (serial or USB whatever you prefer) This comes out to aboput $45 (chump change for the money you are about to save trust me) I suggest you going to DIYGadget.com ( http://www.diygadget.com/ ) And reading their tutorials there (as i do not have time to construct a proper detailed tutorial (neither camera LOL)) Another website that you should call home if you do decide to do this is xbox360iso.com that website contains much more detailed tutorials, and a strong user base full of people willing to help you. I urge you, however, to stay here at smdepot.net for all other console and pc needs. BIG THINGS TO COME!

All in all, it was a good day. Especially considering I didn't even have to use my AK.
bonecrusher

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2010, 09:26:00 PM »

thanks Art2Fly,

i understand most of what your saying, and i agree to most of it, its just,
- What is 'jtagging'?
- I wont lie, but i do have a PC, but for some reason the power adapter blew (its old), "at least without significant difficulty" does that mean i can use my laptop??
- i searched around for the VIA6421 PCI card you suggested, i found one on Ebay for 5(pounds) here, http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VIA-6421-SATA-PCI-Card-FOR-XBOX-360-Flash-Repairs-6421A_W0QQitemZ280386959517QQcmdZViewItemQQimsxq20091018?IMSfp=TL091018136003r6443 but since i dont have a PC available, i think that i can get an adapter so i can use it via USB, you agree?
- what about this 'kit'? http://www.diygadget.com/xbox-360-connectivity-kit-v3-and-usb-solderless-lite-on-dvd-key-extractor-combo.html

and what kinda 'big things'? =P

thanks for your help so far, i really appreciate this

Bonecrusher
Art2Fly
Talented Modder

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2010, 10:01:08 PM »

You can use your laptop ONLY if you have a PCMIA port on it and then you buy the VIA 6421A PCMIA card and use that. On the DIY gadget link, that is what you require and is what i use except since i have a desktop i use the old Serial version. There really isnt a diffrence between the two you just have to select a setting in Jungleflasher (the program that you will use to flash). As for answering your other questions.
- Jtagging referes to connecting certain points of your xbox 360 motherboard to a parrallel port adapter (one that a laptop does not have unfortunatly) and from there use programming programs to force your cpu to load a certain file or whatever. Forget about this it is way too hard unless you have soldering experience and some small amount of programming expirience.
-No you cannot use a laptop unless it has a PCMIA slot
- if your laptop does indeed have a PCMIA slot buy this http://www.cross-mark.com/sata-serial-port-cardbus-pcmcia-card-p-113.html
-Finally buy the kit that you linked and you should be set.

bonecrusher

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2010, 03:25:15 AM »

Sad i dont have a PCMIA port on my laptop, ill stay with the DIY gadget link as it has a USB interface option. im guessing i can just search for this 'jungleflasher' but can you please provide a link to the site where you got yours (if thats what you used...)
jtagging... forgotten...

Would you say that i can use the link on the kit that i supplied without buying the product you just recently linked 'http://www.cross-mark.com/sata-serial-port-cardbus-pcmcia-card-p-113.html' or do i need your link WITH the kit i found???

i found a site (cant find the link ATM) but it shows how to take the warranty sticker off using a hair dryer, you think it works? should i even bother?

oh, and i was talking to a mate of mine about flashing my xbox360, he reckons it should be no problem, but he mentioned that if i was to download a game off that xboxiso.com site, or any other that provides the same service, that if a copy of the game was to be played online at the same time as mine, then we would both be flagged and banned, does this have any truth? is there a way to bypass this?

thats pretty much all my questions from here on out, i thankyou so much for helping me, may i add you on msn so we can talk faster if i have a problem during flashing and if were online at the same time (obviously)?

Bonecrusher
Art2Fly
Talented Modder

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2010, 07:48:17 PM »

Im sorry, but without a PCMCIA port, you are not going to be able to flash your 360. I suggest you get on craigslist to find someone that will do it for you locally. It should be cheaper anyway. Good prices are $30. Make sure to request that he give you a floppy with your .bin files. (he should know what this means) and you keep that safe. As far as backups and downloaded games go.... xbox360iso.com should be all you need

bonecrusher

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2010, 12:59:59 AM »

damn, ok then

i found a few sites (not on craigslist though) theres one about 30-40mins away, hes asking for $50, i guess its worth it, he reckons he can do it within 30mins "- Usually done in 30 minutes with latest ixtreme Lite Touch firmware"

heres his advert listing, http://cracker.com.au/sydney-nsw/computer-entertainment-for-sale/gaming-consoles-mod-chips-for-sale/sydney-wii-xbox-360-modmodchipunlockupgradesflashchip-50/397329958/advert.htm?keywords=flashing&search=true&region=3&return=1&pageno=4&sortfield=7

tell me what you think, is that what im looking for (his services)??  Undecided

and ill definately ask for a .bin copy of my files Grin, what are they for?
Art2Fly
Talented Modder

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2010, 01:10:34 AM »

looks good to me but hes lowballing you if you want your wii modded lol. The .bin files (orig.bin LT.bin key.bin identify.bin inquiry.bin serial.bin) are used if you want to unflash your xbox, or iif your DVD drive breaks its good to have them that way you can buy a new one and actually have it work. Basically its like an eeprom.bin if you did original xbox modding. You dont "NEED" to have these but its good to have in case the person that flashed your box deletes them and then s**t happens. I would go ahead and take it to that person it generally does take around 30 minutes (max lol) and his info on the page makes sense and is legit. Have fun flashing. remember to ask if you can have LT or not, if you cant then dont go on live. (as i said you should be compatible if not oh well)

bonecrusher

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2010, 01:29:04 AM »

ok, thankyou

sorry, but why do i need 'LT'? why do i need it other than getting on live? shouldn't it come already?

oh, and i will have fun flashing it, ive got my eyes set on about 10 games ATM, so, "im luvin' it"

any recent games you can suggest that you really like for 360?

bonecrusher
Art2Fly
Talented Modder

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2010, 03:32:09 PM »

LT is the only firmware out that is Xbox Live Safe. Meaning you will not get banned if you use LT. But you will if you use any other firmware. Some games i recommmend would probably be mass effect 2, Bioshock 2, Modern Warfare 2, GTA 4, and Forza 3.

Kyla666 (zzk2001)
Administrator
Super Modder

Kicking ass

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2010, 05:29:25 PM »

Funny how all games listed can be played on PC LOL

I am playing Bioshock 2 right now =)
Art2Fly
Talented Modder

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2010, 06:18:59 PM »

Yeah pretty much except for out racing sim Forza 3. I have Mass Effect 2 PC and i prefer it over the xbox version. Xbox version has it played on the lowest settings on PC. Basically Xbox 360 = Cheap gaming PC.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: