Softmod Depot
April 17, 2024, 06:20:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length
News: 10.23.09 - The website is fully operational again. Thank you for the patience as we put everything back together. Check out the forums for more information if you are curious.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Windows Virtualization  (Read 6112 times)
InsaneTrout
Talented Modder

View Profile WWW
« on: February 07, 2010, 04:09:29 PM »

Soo I've downloaded and installed windows XP mode for my win 7. does anyone know if you can get viruses in xp mode and if you can will they infect your win 7?

Kyla666 (zzk2001)
Administrator
Super Modder

Kicking ass

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2010, 03:08:10 AM »

IDK, this is the first time hearing of Xp mode lol
InsaneTrout
Talented Modder

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2010, 04:42:58 AM »

IDK, this is the first time hearing of Xp mode lol

Really? ha ha yeah if you go here  http://www.microsoft.com/Windows/virtual-pc/download.aspx
you can download it if you have windows business or Ultimate  and it's free. the only requirements besides OS is like 2GB of ram and a CPU and Mobo with Virtualization technology. it's working perfectly for me only lame thing is is that it isn't a fully built OS and unless you know how to code and rewrite stuff you're stuck using it's built in graphics drivers and other drivers and such. which are very $h!tty. it only allows me to have like 16 Mb video memory when I really have 1GB. one cool feature though is that you can set exactly how much ram Windows XP mode can use out of all of your ram you can set it to like 4Mb which is the minimum to like 3.75 (which is my maximum because I only have 6GB and if I only left win 7 with 1 or 2 GB it would get slow) if you want.

Edit: I'm now running Ubuntu version like (.10 or something now virtualized Cheesy everything works almost perfectly! Cheesy
« Last Edit: February 09, 2010, 12:18:13 AM by InsaneTrout » Logged

Art2Fly
Talented Modder

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2010, 08:44:17 PM »

ZZK, its basically VMWare, and trout yeah you can get viruses and everything that windows xp has. Windows XP does not know it is running under Visualization and runs completely separate therefore. You need to install another virus protection software under the virtual machine/

" I'm gonna rip your throat and s**t down your neck!" -- Duke Nukem
All in all, it was a good day. Especially considering I didn't even have to use my AK.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: