Softmod Depot
March 29, 2024, 01:04:17 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length
News: 10.23.09 - The website is fully operational again. Thank you for the patience as we put everything back together. Check out the forums for more information if you are curious.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: No luck getting my Xbox to work (electrical problem?)...  (Read 19738 times)
skip2mylou
Sr. Modder

no wall is safe...

View Profile
« on: March 28, 2009, 10:13:48 PM »

hey everyone, recently it was my little brother's birthday and he wanted to watch Wall-E. so i acquired it as a DivX and i planned to run it from the XBMC and hook up the xbox to the downstairs TV. so i unplug everything and take the XB downstairs, and plug it up to the TV. however everytime i try to plug in the power cord, the thing shorts. well i dont know what happens, but the red button pops out. i tried pushing it back in but still it pops out. i tried diff outlets, even tried it back on the upstairs TV, but the problem persisted. i concluded that something must've shifted inside the XB, and probably knocked something loose. but the thing is that im not certain about any of this. so i come to u oh experts of modding and fixing thingies. before i open up the XB what should keep in mind to look for when im staring the innards? a particular wire, set of wires? i should probably note that the last time i opened the XB, i didnt screw the HDD holding tray back in. call it an oversight on account of laziness. i dont know maybe it caused something. any advice would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. if that wasn't a big enough problem, my 360 decides to RRoD the same day, and i have no idea how to fix it. can't even send it in to M$ cuz i bought it used from EB games, and that voided the warranty.

Kyla666 (zzk2001)
Administrator
Super Modder

Kicking ass

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2009, 10:43:44 PM »

same thing happen to My xbox a long time ago

Just Open it up and in the back of the Power board Re-solder the Two Pin connections and BAM fixed  Tongue
skip2mylou
Sr. Modder

no wall is safe...

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2009, 11:23:29 PM »

awesome, a quick fix. i like it. thanks zzk.

Coburn
Talented Modder

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2009, 11:27:49 AM »

All I do is hold the button slightly down after activating it and when it tries to click out, it won't. Then it'll turn bright red and work!

skip2mylou
Sr. Modder

no wall is safe...

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2009, 12:13:49 PM »

Dude COBURN!!!! ur right, it worked. oh i was so dreading having to take it apart, but dude... oh yeah. its ultimate alliance time!

Boost
Softmod Elite
Administrator
Sr. Modder

yeah, we can do that

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2009, 04:33:18 AM »

I can send you a Xclamp repair kit if you want.
basically if you replace a CPU in a PC you can fix a RRoD
let me know I'll package it up and send it out ASAP.

BOOST

Sig Built by BOOST

skip2mylou
Sr. Modder

no wall is safe...

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2009, 05:10:29 AM »

that does sound promising, otherwise, i'll have to fight with XBOX and if i happen to get a replacement i'll have to flash the damn thing again. this x-clamp thing. is it easy, i mean im not so technically inclined. ive got big fingers and im not so good at soldering. what's included, and will you be able to ship to canada? how much would it cost? thanks Boost.

p.s. i remember when ur avatar used to be that street fighter character, was it Ryu. i think so...

Boost
Softmod Elite
Administrator
Sr. Modder

yeah, we can do that

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2009, 02:26:23 PM »

Akuma

It's 8 bolts 16 nylon washers and 16 metal washers.
I have them already bagged up and can be shipped out ASAP
pick up a torx 9 screwdriver some thermal paste and you'll have everything you need to fix it.
I can walk you through it step by step if needed. there are plenty of videos out there on it as well.
no charge for shipping, I figure I help you out, you turn around and help the next guy when problems arise.
that is SMDEPOT.net.
just PM the address you want it shipped to and I'll send it out with instructions on how to fix it.

Proud SMDEPOT member
BOOST

Sig Built by BOOST

Coburn
Talented Modder

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2009, 05:33:28 PM »

Dude COBURN!!!! ur right, it worked. oh i was so dreading having to take it apart, but dude... oh yeah. its ultimate alliance time!
I'm all for the quick fix FTW! And, ya know, the whole helping thing LOL!

skip2mylou
Sr. Modder

no wall is safe...

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2009, 06:27:26 PM »

@Boost
i must say that im very touched. i guess ive been away for too long that ive forgotten how compassionate some ppl can be on this forum. thank you. ive sent u a pm.

@Coburn
thanks for the fix.

Boost
Softmod Elite
Administrator
Sr. Modder

yeah, we can do that

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2009, 05:23:48 PM »

I'll ship this out tomorrow

check out some of the videos on youtube on how to do it.

it's not hard, jsut a little reading and you'll be back up in no time.

Sig Built by BOOST

skip2mylou
Sr. Modder

no wall is safe...

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2009, 08:08:48 PM »

i wanted to once again express my gratitude for the bolts and washers and the advice. i did the xclamp fix, with the thermal paste and everything. and i was thrilled when my Xbox 360 powered on after 3 months of the RRoD. but i guess catching a break doesnt seem to be in my future...
just shortly after i turned on the XB360 i wanted to celebrate with a few NFS:U races. much to my dismay, 5 mins into the game i get a red checkered screen. i thought it was just the burnt disc, so i changed games, but it seemed to be evident in every game i put in. to add salt to my wounds, i googled the problem and found that this checkered screen is actually the tell-tale sign of the graphics failure of the 360 and that the only fix is to purchase a new one. I REALLY hope i dont have to do this. i fear that i may have caused this myself when i was cooking the GPU after doing the xclamp fix. i was only for 2-3 mins and i had let it cool sufficiently before turning it on. but the point is that i hope that this problem can be overcome and i would be extremely greatful for any advice. thanks once again...

Art2Fly
Talented Modder

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2009, 09:13:14 PM »

buy a new xbox 360 and then Gut Swap. I did that once after i got the unfixable RROD at Best Buy and then said that the first time i booted the xbox, it had a RROD.
Gut Swapping Mini-tut
1. Buy a new xbox 360 from a store that has refundable returns (best buy usually)
2. Open the new xbox and to remove the Warranty Sticker without damaging it, use a hairdryer on it for like 30 to 60 seconds then, while applying heat, get some card stock and wedge it off without tearing it.
3. Take out EVERYTHING outta both and switch the cases so that your old xbox internals are in the new xbox you just bought.
4. Put everything back together again (don't forget to put the warranty sticker back on) and take the gut swapped xbox back to where you bought it and say that u got it Red ringed or that the first time you tried turning it on it was RROD.
5. Enjoy.

" I'm gonna rip your throat and s**t down your neck!" -- Duke Nukem
All in all, it was a good day. Especially considering I didn't even have to use my AK.
Coburn
Talented Modder

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2009, 10:26:49 PM »

buy a new xbox 360 and then Gut Swap. I did that once after i got the unfixable RROD at Best Buy and then said that the first time i booted the xbox, it had a RROD.
Gut Swapping Mini-tut
1. Buy a new xbox 360 from a store that has refundable returns (best buy usually)
2. Open the new xbox and to remove the Warranty Sticker without damaging it, use a hairdryer on it for like 30 to 60 seconds then, while applying heat, get some card stock and wedge it off without tearing it.
3. Take out EVERYTHING outta both and switch the cases so that your old xbox internals are in the new xbox you just bought.
4. Put everything back together again (don't forget to put the warranty sticker back on) and take the gut swapped xbox back to where you bought it and say that u got it Red ringed or that the first time you tried turning it on it was RROD.
5. Enjoy.

Haha genius! Pure brilliance lol!

skip2mylou
Sr. Modder

no wall is safe...

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2009, 03:42:46 AM »

Gut Swapping Mini-tut
5. Enjoy.

u sir are an evil GENIUS! i will do that, once i can afford to do so. thanks, much appreciated.

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: