Softmod Depot
April 19, 2024, 09:55:02 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length
News: 10.23.09 - The website is fully operational again. Thank you for the patience as we put everything back together. Check out the forums for more information if you are curious.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Samsung drive unreadable burned games?!  (Read 8002 times)
Splortched
« on: March 02, 2009, 11:57:47 PM »

Hey, I'm returning to the modding community after softmodding my xbox about 2 years ago.

Having some trouble with burned disks on my Samsung ms25 drive. Got lucky and my old 360 had one already in it!

Problem is, many games are unreadable after I burn them at 2.4X. I'm almost positive the games are good to go cause I only downloaded ones from piratebay that we're confirmed in the comments.

For alot of the games I get part way into the video sequence and then it just freezes. Sometimes I can use the xbox button to get back to the dash, but mostly have to reset.

Not only that but I noticed the cpu being WAAAAY too hot after lagging out, so I did the electrical tape trick until I can get a dedicated cooler. That seemed to really help with the heat, though.

I'm also getting scratched disks, but only on my dl burned disks.

I'm using GQ +R DL 8X dvd's... I'm not finding out on cdfreaks that their not of the highest quality. Just wondering if the impact is significant enough to make a game unreadable...

Any ideas?
Coburn
Talented Modder

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2009, 12:21:30 AM »

I haven't the first clue on Xbox 360's, but I would have to say you're burning them wrong. I do know that Xbox 360 games have 2 files on the disk: The first is the game itself, and the second is the little security program that tells the 360 it is legit. I wouldn't think that uploaders would include that little program in their torrents, but I don't know.

Splortched
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2009, 01:29:09 AM »

If the security file was the issue, the games wouldn't play, but they do play... just not well. XD

Also, the torrents are in rar format, which are .dvd and bin or similar file when extracted.

As far as I can tell and what's worked so far is just telling imgburn to burn the .dvd file and burn at 2.4X.
Boost
Softmod Elite
Administrator
Sr. Modder

yeah, we can do that

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2009, 07:16:16 AM »

the freezing issue means you are on your way to RROD
the unplayable disc is an easy fix with a multimeter.
fixing a RROD is not hard and fine tuning to your lens is easy as well on the sammy.
you'll be playing everything like new soon.
just poke around and a little research goes a long way.

god luck
BOOST
« Last Edit: March 03, 2009, 12:14:19 PM by Boost » Logged

Sig Built by BOOST

Splortched
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2009, 01:51:08 PM »

Hmm. Interesting. Thanks for the help, boost. I'll check around.
Splortched
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2009, 10:50:16 PM »

Alright, looked up the pot tutorial for the lens. Question is... Will this fix the weird problem I'm having where I can get to the menu and start the game (sometimes... MK VS. DCU freezes on the first couple screens sometimes) but freeze the Xbox at a video sequence?

I know this is getting technical... So I'm going to repost my results and an in depth guide when I'm done.

It's just WAAAAY too damn hard to find this stuff online, or even what to know to look for to fix problems.
Boost
Softmod Elite
Administrator
Sr. Modder

yeah, we can do that

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2009, 11:32:59 AM »

the freezing is a RROD about to happen. I'm suprised it's not done it yet.
and fine tuning of the pot level will help your games read easier, making it work a little less and may have a slight chance of reducing the freeze ups.

if you have xbox live add me
SMDBOOST

you'll need a multimeter and some small screwdrivers.
along with the #9 torx to open the case.

Sig Built by BOOST

Splortched
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2009, 12:16:25 AM »

K, added you on live Boost. I found a pretty good pot tutorial, and just ordered a memorex DL dvd 50 pack cause Mirror's Edge plays fine with the memorex disc I burned em on.

As soon as I get ahold of a multimeter, those pots are toast.

Also in the process of writing that tut... That's gonna be a pain finding all the pages and stuff I've done!
Splortched
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2009, 02:28:55 AM »

Okay, got it up. That was a *female dog* writing that. It's 5 pages on open office! Here's the link:

http://www.smdepot.net/forum/index.php?topic=2672.0
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: