Softmod Depot
April 19, 2024, 10:27:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length
News: 10.23.09 - The website is fully operational again. Thank you for the patience as we put everything back together. Check out the forums for more information if you are curious.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: What should I upgrade?  (Read 4905 times)
Coburn
Talented Modder

View Profile
« on: February 01, 2009, 02:34:02 PM »

I want to overhaul my computer, but I can't decide what components to do first. Here's my complete specs:

Case that supports only MicroATX
PSU: 300 watt
Mobo Intel Desktop Board D945GCL
CPU: Pentium 4 3.0 Ghz Hyperthreaded
CPU heatsink: CRAPPY
RAM: 2GB PC4200 533 Mhz
HDD 1: SATA II 160GB
HDD 2: PATA 200GB
Video Card: nVidia GeForce 8500 GT-1GB DDR2 VRAM
Sound: Onboard

I want to upgrade my computer so that each new component will comply with my old stuff. I think I am going to start with the case and power supply. What should come next? A 500 GB hard drive, a new motherboard, or a new CPU (my mobo can only support core 2 duo and I want the quad Q6600)? What wold be most beneficial to me?

Boost
Softmod Elite
Administrator
Sr. Modder

yeah, we can do that

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2009, 08:40:08 PM »

if you're getting a case and PSU I'd look into just getting a barebone kit that supports the Q6600
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4282930&Sku=P450-9112 C
would be a nice upgrade kit

Sig Built by BOOST

Coburn
Talented Modder

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2009, 11:59:16 PM »

Nice kit, but the mobo only has 2 RAM slots. I am gunna get 4. But I will look into barebones when I have the money (summer job LOL)

Snafupossum
Administrator
Sr. Modder

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2009, 01:20:03 AM »

if your motherboard supports 45nm cpus, i would get a core2duo 8500, it has the same performance as the c2q 6600 in games, its only in number crunching apps that can actually use the 2 extra cores efficiently like a nice video trans coder do you see the performance increase in the quad core. but i have looked at countless benchmarks on many sits and they are say about the same thing. I was going ot upgrade to the 8500 myself, but I figure my computer is good enough as it is now.

Coburn
Talented Modder

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2009, 04:40:09 PM »

if your motherboard supports 45nm cpus, i would get a core2duo 8500, it has the same performance as the c2q 6600 in games, its only in number crunching apps that can actually use the 2 extra cores efficiently like a nice video trans coder do you see the performance increase in the quad core. but i have looked at countless benchmarks on many sits and they are say about the same thing. I was going ot upgrade to the 8500 myself, but I figure my computer is good enough as it is now.
Well, I'd be using the CPU for archiving, video encoding music encoding, picture editing, gaming, dual monitors, and general multi-tasking. So would a duo be more efficient for me?

Also, what does hyper-threading do for my CPU? I'm running one now, would I see a difference if I got a duo or quad? Also, how can I check what nm of processors my motherboard supports? It just tells me core 2 duo is supported. Here's my motherboard:
http://www.intel.com/products/motherboard/D945GCL/index.htm

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: