Softmod Depot
March 29, 2024, 01:53:06 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length
News: 10.23.09 - The website is fully operational again. Thank you for the patience as we put everything back together. Check out the forums for more information if you are curious.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Glitchy Vista?  (Read 8782 times)
Coburn
Talented Modder

View Profile
« on: February 01, 2009, 02:28:41 PM »

I just recently installed Windows Vista Ultimate on my machine. It works alright I guess. But something that bugs me is that sometimes when I am copying files, surfing the web, and listening to music, it locks up. It basically makes my mouse go slowly and my music becomes blocky. Both my CPU and RAM meters detect about 50-70% load on my CPU, and 50% RAM used. Why does this happen to me? Here's me specs:

Motherboard: Intel Desktop Board D945GCL
Power Supply: 300Watts
CPU: Pentium 4 3.0 Ghz Hyperthreaded
RAM: 2GB PC4200 533 Mhz
HDD 1: SATA II 160GB (Vista is on this)
HDD 2: PATA 200GB
Video Card: nVidia GeForce 8500 GT-1GB DDR2 VRAM
Sound: Onboard

Also, would a dual core be a lot better than my CPU? I mean a core 2 duo running at say 2.3 Ghz.

InsaneTrout
Talented Modder

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2009, 02:58:59 PM »

I just recently installed Windows Vista Ultimate on my machine. It works alright I guess. But something that bugs me is that sometimes when I am copying files, surfing the web, and listening to music, it locks up. It basically makes my mouse go slowly and my music becomes blocky. Both my CPU and RAM meters detect about 50-70% load on my CPU, and 50% RAM used. Why does this happen to me? Here's me specs:

Motherboard: Intel Desktop Board D945GCL
Power Supply: 300Watts
CPU: Pentium 4 3.0 Ghz Hyperthreaded
RAM: 2GB PC4200 533 Mhz
HDD 1: SATA II 160GB (Vista is on this)
HDD 2: PATA 200GB
Video Card: nVidia GeForce 8500 GT-1GB DDR2 VRAM
Sound: Onboard

Also, would a dual core be a lot better than my CPU? I mean a core 2 duo running at say 2.3 Ghz.

Did you install all of the updates? and most importantly did you get the SP1 update? if not get them all it should help speed up your pc a little bit ummm also check your C:/ drive if there is a windows.old delete it you don't need it it's just your old OS and it's just taking up space and possibly causing your system to slow down...um and then go to Disk Cleanup and delete all those things and delteing you're restore points will help speed you up and restore some of your storage space...ummm and finally try defraging your hdd and end some startup programs it will also stop background processes from starting up on the start up also helping to speed your system up...ummm that's about all I got lol oh also if there is anything in the disk drive take it out because it'll probably every once in a while read it causing you to slow down a little..... basically a lot of what I'm talling you is minor stuff but all of it put together cand make an even bigger problem lol

Coburn
Talented Modder

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2009, 03:14:37 PM »

I got it fully updated. I'll defrag and clean my files up.

Got a program that will stop processes from starting? Like I have Quick Startup from Glarysoft, but I still get insane processes running after startup, about 60 processes.

Kyla666 (zzk2001)
Administrator
Super Modder

Kicking ass

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2009, 08:40:27 PM »

I will Never trust Vista  My WinXP pro works just fine

Maybe in the Next 3-4 years when M$ gets out of there Ass and Makes a Good OS (not just some GAY update of vista they call windows 7) Then I'll update.
InsaneTrout
Talented Modder

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2009, 09:10:06 PM »

I got it fully updated. I'll defrag and clean my files up.

Got a program that will stop processes from starting? Like I have Quick Startup from Glarysoft, but I still get insane processes running after startup, about 60 processes.

Ummm if you haven't tried this yet go to Run and type in msconfig and go to the startup tab and just uncheck the boxes next to whatever you don't want to start up usually when you stop those it'll sometimes stop background running things to the apps you stop ummm and I believe if you go to the sevices tag and uncheck the stuff you don't want running on the startup but be careful for the stuff under the service tag a lot of that stuff you need running for your pc to run the way it's supposed to so only stop the stuff you know.anything you stop on the startup only stops from the startup if you open the app to whatever you stop it'll run the the background stuff until you restar your computer again.

Snipes101
Technical Support Team
Sr. Modder

!!!Live Free For Ever!!!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2009, 10:13:07 PM »

I will Never trust Vista  My WinXP pro works just fine

Maybe in the Next 3-4 years when M$ gets out of there Ass and Makes a Good OS (not just some GAY update of vista they call windows 7) Then I'll update.

Amen Cheesy
Coburn
Talented Modder

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2009, 11:20:59 PM »

Ok, it's acting weird again. I have the same system, but with a fresh copy of Windows XP Pro. I just put in that 200GB hard drive, and whenever I try and run a simple installer, like iTunes Setup or Zune Software, it shows 100% hard drive usage for like 5 minutes and just sits there and glitches. Then it works fine again.

This never happened with any of the two hard drives before, but now that I put that one back in, it is making both hard drives go haywire.

Also, archiving and un-archiving files take about 3x as long now, Windows Startup take way long, and moving files takes about 5x as long. What's the f'n deal? This is making me very agitated.

Kyla666 (zzk2001)
Administrator
Super Modder

Kicking ass

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2009, 02:55:59 AM »

Could Be 1 or Both are Dieing or Dead.
Coburn
Talented Modder

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2009, 11:13:05 AM »

Could Be 1 or Both are Dieing or Dead.
I surely hope not Cry But is it possible to mess up the firmware of the drive and so it's tracking information is off? I heard that also makes drives very slow. If THAT is true, how do I fix it?

InsaneTrout
Talented Modder

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2009, 02:11:38 PM »

Wait do you have and magnets next to your tower? maybe surround sound systems with subwoofers or something? if you do it's possible that the magnets are strong enough to mess up your drives and if they have the right amount of strength they won't instantly kill your drives but over time it will mess with them and eventually kill them..ummm maybe you have drivers for things you don';t have and it's reading those or something when it doesn't need too. I dunno just coming up with ideas here..ummm is the os you're using a factory os? or a modified one? like you downloaded it or something? if it's downloaded I suggest you dump it because whoever made it most likely dumped viruses in it and embedded them somewhere where they can't be detected or something.;..just another idea :/ I'm trying to be as useful as possible lol

Coburn
Talented Modder

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2009, 06:46:36 PM »

Wait do you have and magnets next to your tower? maybe surround sound systems with subwoofers or something? if you do it's possible that the magnets are strong enough to mess up your drives and if they have the right amount of strength they won't instantly kill your drives but over time it will mess with them and eventually kill them..ummm maybe you have drivers for things you don';t have and it's reading those or something when it doesn't need too. I dunno just coming up with ideas here..ummm is the os you're using a factory os? or a modified one? like you downloaded it or something? if it's downloaded I suggest you dump it because whoever made it most likely dumped viruses in it and embedded them somewhere where they can't be detected or something.;..just another idea :/ I'm trying to be as useful as possible lol
Thanks for the ideas man, but I don't have any magnets around my tower. Factory OS, fresh install. I really think it's the firmware...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: