Softmod Depot
March 28, 2024, 05:42:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length
News: 10.23.09 - The website is fully operational again. Thank you for the patience as we put everything back together. Check out the forums for more information if you are curious.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: VGA verses DVI  (Read 3082 times)
Coburn
Talented Modder

View Profile
« on: January 26, 2009, 10:17:07 PM »

Ok, just two weeks ago I got a nVidia GeForce 8500 GT 1GB RAM video card that has 1 VGA, 1 DVI, and 1 TV output. I am using the VGA cable with a 19" Widescreen LCD monitor. The monitor supports DVI. So, what I want to know is: What is the difference in DVI and VGA? Is it a noticeable difference? Would it change my colors so that darks aren't so dark (ive been having that problem)?

Also, What is the TV port for? It came with some RCA looking hookups. Is it possible to hook my PC to a generic, non HD TV?

The card: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814143125

Kyla666 (zzk2001)
Administrator
Super Modder

Kicking ass

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2009, 11:05:46 PM »

Quote:
"When connected via an analog connection, an LCD is vulnerable to the same distortions that affect CRT monitors. However, when connected via a digital connection, often labeled DVI (for Digital Visual Interface), no digital-to-analog conversion is required, and there should be no loss or corruption of the signal. As a result, when running at its native resolution, an LCD should give you a cleaner and crisper image than you'd see on a CRT.

However, the advantage of digital signals for LCDs is of somewhat less importance now than it was a few years ago. Analog signal processing has improved to the point where major differences in image quality can be difficult to detect.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: