Softmod Depot
April 23, 2024, 12:06:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length
News: 10.23.09 - The website is fully operational again. Thank you for the patience as we put everything back together. Check out the forums for more information if you are curious.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Can I do it? New hard drive and soft mod with no memory card or game?  (Read 5634 times)
thematrixiam
« on: January 16, 2006, 03:07:32 PM »

Hey there. My buddy was suggesting that he could soft mod and xbox by putting the hd in your pc. I've been trying to research this and found a few things. but not sure if it's possible and what route to go.
Basically.
 I need the eeprom... right? so that I can close my new hd after I uploaded all the files to it right?
how to do I grab this. I think the only wayz I have seen is by using a game to exploit, uploading linux via a mem card then grabing the eeprom that way. but then it wouldn't be doing it by loading the hd into the pc then would it. because I could just do it that way seeing how I already have the game and the mem card.

Can I ftp up to my xbox? or network cable/synchro cable? I have both. Or do I need the IP address which I would only find via the exploit (which once again defeats the purpose of doing this).
 - if I can connect, then grab my eeprom. back up the c: and f:. Then load up on the new drive via a linux boot disk with files added and only the new drive connected to my pc; then it should work.. at least from what I have read. that way I can load all the files I need, seal up the baby with the backed up eeprom/c:/f: and toss the new drive in the xbox and play away.

so what I need from you:
 1. correct me if I'm wrong
 2. think of the goal to connect to the xbox drive SOLELY and not tell me to buy a game and a memcard. because there would be no point of this thread then, and I'm not stupid and your not stupid.
 3. advise me on how to grab that eeprom by connecting to my xbox (finding out the ip if need be). grabing it and making a back up.
 4. any further advice or separate routes that you could offer, that deal specifically with hd to pc xbox softmoding (no game explots please).

Thanks for everything. TheMatrixIAm.
Boost
Softmod Elite
Administrator
Sr. Modder

yeah, we can do that

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2006, 05:25:31 PM »

you can mod a xbox if...................
you know a lot about xboxhdm and already have a softmodded xbox near by.
the bad thing is that you NEED your eeprom.bin from the unmodded xbox to make it work.
so you need to use a memory card to put the game exploit in your xbox
you also need the game to "half-mod" jsut to create the eeprom and save it to your PC via FTP.
but les say you have all that done, and you DO have your unmodded xbox's eeprom.bin file.

follow one of the many tuts on this site on how to use XBHDM.
http://www.smdepot.net/forum/index.php?topic=85.0
this is one for useing the same xboxhdm cd for many xboxes.
you'll need a floppy disc also for this way. but it's easy once you do it once......
doing it once it the hard part. try it on a different harddrive and see if you can get it to work jsut in case you xbox harddrive Explodes and demolishes your entire living room. with that said, it's really not that bad. borrow a memory card, rent a game, mod a xbox.....
another way is using a solder chip and a boot disc that has "backup eeprom" option and then FTP it to your PC.
remove the chip and then rebuild it. so no game OR memory card was used.
then you need a to ahve a modded xboxhdm CD already with the files in the proper location it.
so other than that, I would love to learn how to create an eeprom.bin locked inside a xbox harddrive.

also ( now I'm rambling ) if he does a hotswap and copies the entire xbox harddrive and somehow comes up with the eeprom using a PC program, that'll be cool ( I've never heard it done )

well good luck and hope I gave you an Idea of what you're chances are.

BOOST

Sig Built by BOOST

thematrixiam
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2006, 08:33:11 AM »

I think I'm going to have to grab myself the ar and rent the game.... but, just wondering if you or anyone else would know about this here:
Xbox when powered on gives the password to the drive, opens it, and then is accessable ... and if you switch that to your pc at the right time you can grab the files now.
now. you guys might know that already... but what I'm curious about, is there away to listen to that? listen to the password being sent? if so, it'd have to be a cheap way... otherwise, people would just go grab the mem card and game and do it that way.....

oh. back to my mod. say I grab AR. rent a game. and have a new hd I want. I grab the EEPROM from the original drive? right? then transfer this to the new drive? wont the knew drive have a separate locking system of itself? what tutorial would you recommend using to do this. I've been looking at a few of these online. am interested in the krayzie method, seems like you guys were hyped about it... is the hype still there or is there a better method. cheers.
Boost
Softmod Elite
Administrator
Sr. Modder

yeah, we can do that

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2006, 03:12:43 PM »

well the hot swap will let you get into the xbox harddrive by making it think that it's booting up the xbox when really you have it swapped to the PC. I'm not the best on a hot swap, I've done it a few times but it's tricky and I've found better ways ( I have the memory card and game ).

and for your mod - use the AR to transfer the exploit to your xbox and pop in your game to preform the backup.
you'll have FTP access here also, save it to your PC and then copy it to the floppy disc.
if you turn off your xbox before you go any further it'll remain stock.
use xboxhdm yo create your new harddrive ( if you need to make the harddrive and need the files - COPY YOUR ENTIRE RETAIL HARDDRIVE - it already has the game save you just used too ! )
now lock the harddrive using xboxhdm option 3 and type lockhd -a it'll ask you for the location for your eeprom.bin file, type 1 for floppy and press enter to confirm. After it locks type poweroff to shut it down and pop it in your xbox.
everything should be all peachy now, you'll have 1 retail harddrive for Live games and 1 modded large harddrive for all your emulators and what not......

for harddrives larger than 120 I use Ltools with the PBL metoo patcher ( it'll go up to at least 500gigs on F ) anytthing else smaller I use the new Ndure exploit.
I love the dual boot feature on Ndure.
it's not 100% Live-proof but it's nice to have.

oh yeah, if you get a huge headache and want to smash up that harddrive if it's being stubburn. You can always ship it with the eeprom to one of our top modders and we will rebuild it for you and ship it back.
what else can you ask for?Huh I know LIVE HELP~!!

http://www.smdepot.net/irc/chat.php

Cheers
BOOST

Sig Built by BOOST

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: