Softmod Depot
April 18, 2024, 08:22:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length
News: 10.23.09 - The website is fully operational again. Thank you for the patience as we put everything back together. Check out the forums for more information if you are curious.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Music Editing  (Read 12684 times)
Coburn
Talented Modder

View Profile
« on: January 14, 2009, 09:50:27 PM »

Okay, so I have a lot of 320 Kbps MP3's here that I want to do is make them louder (specifically for my PSP using headphones). When I listen to music thru my PSP, the highest sound is mediocre. When I listen to it from a Zune, is is LOUD! I want to change the decibel level on all my music. Is that possible to do with the Zune Software or maybe Windows Media Player? What other *free* programs can do this?

Kyla666 (zzk2001)
Administrator
Super Modder

Kicking ass

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2009, 07:40:19 AM »

OK i am going to say this as I don't think Ppl understand yet.....

320 Kbps SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

the best format for Music is 192kbps  It's Loud and Sounds the best

when I was making CDs for ppl  Roll Eyes i would have everyone Coming to Just me for Music as my CDs sound So much better then Others and evenone Keep on thinking I was editing them to Sound that Good and I keep telling them No =)
GamezR2EZ
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2009, 11:43:35 AM »

you obviously dont understand that much about bitrate
loudness is not indicated by bitrate, and 192 DOES NOT sound better than 320
mathematically 320 is the closest you can get to perfect quality in the mp3 format (excluding things like freeformat which allows bitrates up to 640)

320 takes up more space but it will always be the better sounding mp3
Always

and there is no "best format" for music, you would get bashed on so many places all over the internet for saying that

Rules:

1. The higher the bitrate the better it sounds. Period
2. You can make your mp3 louder but you have to re encode it and change the dB level to a higher level. This will make the sound louder
Coburn
Talented Modder

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2009, 01:27:59 AM »

Rules:

1. The higher the bitrate the better it sounds. Period
2. You can make your mp3 louder but you have to re encode it and change the dB level to a higher level. This will make the sound louder

I know this Smiley What program can I use for this re encoding? Zune software? Windows Media Player? What other programs can do it? EXCLUDING iTUNES!

GamezR2EZ
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2009, 09:12:39 AM »

well you can use the command line version of LAME (google lame binary)
OR you can use Audacity with the LAME plug-in

there is an option to raise lower the sound level, but youlljust have t oplay around

Audacity is a great music everything program anyway, youll be impressed
Kyla666 (zzk2001)
Administrator
Super Modder

Kicking ass

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2009, 11:12:59 AM »

i am Sorry but NO higher Bitrate is NOT BETTER and i am just sick of all the Ppl who don't know how to fucking Hear to Understand that.

changing the dB level of a Song is going to make it sound like crap

Why No one Understands Why 192kpbs is best i will never Understand I guess some Ppl will just stay Dumb.

it's Like the Dumb ass ppl who think H264 s**t is Better then a HD Xvid 

a High end HD Xvid runs Smoother on a Low End Pc and Has Less Space and Looks Just as Good if Not better then a H264 s**t.

All the Ppl who Only think HIGHER is better is the Sheep who just Follows everyone STOP Following and Think for your self for Once.
GamezR2EZ
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2009, 03:04:58 PM »

you can think what you want

but youll still be wrong, everyone thinks one thing, cuase its true
and i only know this cuase of what i have done my self with encoding mp3's

now if you are talking about illegally downloading your music, then on average (not sure why) but the 128-192kbps sound better than the high ones, but for actually ripping your own music the higher the better
period

and changing the decibel level will NOT make the song sound bad (unless you jack it like 200%, when 50% normally does fine)
if the source is bad then the output file will be bad, but if the source is good quality then changing it is fine

and idk bout h264, but x264 IS the Superior format right now
however you are right about xvid being the "better" one in the sense it it more widely supported and looks better at crappy lower bitrates, it also takes less to decode

but zzk, higher is better, provided you know HOW to rip the file and encode it, cuase you can botch it, and then the vid and\or sound will look and sound bad no matter what the bitrate

same goes for video, it is foolish to think otherwise
Kyla666 (zzk2001)
Administrator
Super Modder

Kicking ass

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2009, 03:30:32 PM »

I am sorry but i think it's foolish to think that way.

I have had Many years My self in testing and coding I can Say without even thinking about it that 192 is better.

I have even Done Test over and over with making a 320 CD and a 192 CD and Asking ppl what sounds Better WITHOUT telling them which was which  and every time they picked 192

right now i don't sell Music CDs anymore But back then it was how i made a Living and I had to be the Best as there was alot doing the same thing And EVERYONE came to Me for Music.

And NO the x264 is not better
it's SLOW even on a Dual Core 1g ram PC
it's WAY to big for What little quality it has
it's a wast of Bandwidth

I could go on But I know your Never going to Let this Down As all you do is Read and never experience for yourself.

I don't just pull this stuff from My ass it's Years Of looking into Whats new and what Was  etc etc

it's Just like back in the day When everyone was thinking .rm was better then .avi
Coburn
Talented Modder

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2009, 09:23:13 PM »

Audacity it is then Smiley

GamezR2EZ
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2009, 10:33:53 PM »

well zzk thats fine you can think what you want
i do agree with some of your points, and not with others

i can tell you one song in particular that i personally can tell a huge difference on better lower and higher bitrates
it's Weezer - Island in the Sun (not my favorite song, i dont really even like it)
there is also another song on that album (i believe its on there) where a certain instrument is lost completely on anything lower than 256kbs

the "truth" behind the video codec war is.... MPEG4-AVC (also part of what makes blu-ray) has h.264 at its heart
xvid could not even come CLOSE to handling the pixel perfection in blu-ray, granted at lower qualities h.264 sucks, and xvid WILL look better
xvid should run around 800-1000kbps to look the best it can
h.264 needs around 2000 to look GREAT (or at least this is true for x.264 as i dont use h.264)
also the "harder to decode part" could be traced back to the encoder as well

mathematically speaking on the other hard (because all this is algorithms in action) the higher bitrate the better, and h.264 beats xvid all day long

that being said, those being facts and you CANT contest facts (well you can but youll sound stupid) i dont feel like arguing so if you want to post, you can have your coveted last word Wink

PS i found a shirt that says "You can either agree with me, or be wrong" AWESOME!!!

EDIT: clarified "granted at lower qualities it sucks"
« Last Edit: January 16, 2009, 10:35:47 PM by GamezR2EZ » Logged
Kyla666 (zzk2001)
Administrator
Super Modder

Kicking ass

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2009, 02:07:33 AM »

well I am not going to Keep going on with some one who will not Think for him self.... Just keep reading your So called facts and Have fun in your Little world.  Wink
« Last Edit: January 19, 2009, 12:39:35 PM by zzk2001 » Logged
Snafupossum
Administrator
Sr. Modder

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2009, 11:59:17 AM »

Audacity

and itunes use to be able to do it.

Coburn
Talented Modder

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2009, 07:27:20 PM »

I use Audacity and it works great!

And I have noticed that with 320, I can hear more of the song. Like lower instruments in the background and such.

Art2Fly
Talented Modder

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2009, 08:15:32 PM »

OK i am going to say this as I don't think Ppl understand yet.....

They both suck, VBR IS THE BEST. VBR has the best feedback and lets the song bitrate change when the music doesnt require constant. I personally encode my VBR at the highest of 320 Kbps and it has been the best for my extensive collection of music. From Classical all the way to rap VBR is the best and saves you some memory while ur at it. As for the volume i would suggest getting Goldwave and then edit the mp3's themselves to have a higher volume as the PSP changes the Preamp to -5 dB.

" I'm gonna rip your throat and s**t down your neck!" -- Duke Nukem
All in all, it was a good day. Especially considering I didn't even have to use my AK.
Coburn
Talented Modder

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2009, 10:51:36 PM »

Wait, VBR? Mind pointing me to a link explaining this? Sounds interesting Smiley

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: