Softmod Depot
April 19, 2024, 05:07:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length
News: 10.23.09 - The website is fully operational again. Thank you for the patience as we put everything back together. Check out the forums for more information if you are curious.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Real men go HARD!  (Read 15005 times)
skip2mylou
Sr. Modder

no wall is safe...

View Profile
« on: January 01, 2009, 05:20:30 PM »

I've been searching all over the internet and have succeeded in further confusing myself. Soft mods are great, but I'd prefer something more tangible. That being said, with regards to hard mods, which mod chip should I purchase which will allow the 360 to play backed up games which has a good lifespan?

I saw this online (LINK) and it brought out a few "oohs" and "aahs" but i still dont know exactly what it does. all i need is something that allows backed up game play-ability, preferably something I DON'T have to solder.

P.S. I'm assuming that the only other method of modding is that whole flashing business. I still can't figure that one out...

GamezR2EZ
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2009, 05:40:01 PM »

well first off, you will want to get this instead (its a newer version)

but second...... this wont let you play backed up games...... you have to flash the firmware (ITS FREE DO THAT) or solder a chip to the drive to override the firmware

the have quicksolderchips (melt the solder into a hole, much eaiser) and also non-solder ones but they dont last very long at all cuase the are held by preasure so that preasure fails and then your out a modchip even though nothing "broke"
Kyla666 (zzk2001)
Administrator
Super Modder

Kicking ass

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2009, 10:19:30 PM »

I think Real Man go Soft  Wink

Hard mods are just a wast of time and Money.
skip2mylou
Sr. Modder

no wall is safe...

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2009, 11:00:30 PM »

many thnaks for clearing that up. so no hardware required just firmware flashing... alright. i think i saw a flashing tutorial around here... thanks a bunch.

skip2mylou
Sr. Modder

no wall is safe...

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2009, 01:13:44 AM »

now is where it gets tricky. I was doing some reading as as per this book*** my drive is a Hitachi v79, and in order to flash it, i have to purchase and install (solder) a v79 key. now me being at a soldering skill level that barely surpasses soldering USB cables together, i am pretty sure that micro-soldering is lightyears away. i even told myself "you can do it, you really can" ..... NO, i cant. and the soldering is just to get it into MODE B so that it CAN be flashed, i still have to flash it and for that i must purchase a SATA raid PCI card. see, i'd be fine if i just had to flash it, but the whole intermediate step... i don't think so. the way i see it, the whole procedure is gonne run me around $50, not to mention the nerves. wouldn't it be more practical to hard mod the 360? i mean i figure either way the case comes off and there's gonna be some internal work, i just want to keep the work and the risk to a minimum, and in the end achieve the same result... playing backed up disks. any ideas? thanks.

*** oh heres the book im talking about

P.S. what about purchasing an already flashed DVD drive, perhaps a BenQ, Lite-on, Samsung... could i just plug in the xbox 360 SATA into that and would my xbox be modded?
« Last Edit: January 11, 2009, 01:34:04 AM by skip2mylou » Logged

rattmansam
Talented Modder

If I got it, I mod it!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2009, 02:05:35 AM »

Well that sucks that you have one of the drives that has to be hard modded with a chip to be able to flash it. Personally i would hard mod it with a board chip or get a flashable drive, thats just my ideas.

I like tacos.

skip2mylou
Sr. Modder

no wall is safe...

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2009, 04:30:37 AM »

yeah im considering getting a flashable drive on ebay...

GamezR2EZ
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2009, 01:08:33 PM »

@ skip:

im not sure what you are reading but here is the quick and dirty laydown

open your 360 and youll see your drive has a strange cable and a standard SATA cable
youll need to power on the 360 but only after you connect the SATA cable from the xbox to your computer
this way the drive has power and the computer can use it
run special software flash drive and put 360 back together

thats it
NO SOLDERING REQUIRED
so idk what youre reading but.....

look here to get started you may need tofind other guides to but its simple and solderfree to do this
rattmansam
Talented Modder

If I got it, I mod it!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2009, 03:46:13 PM »

Well i dont really know whether you need that chip or not but, i think you may, im not sure, but i think maybe you need it for the hitachi drive i really have no clue ive only flashed a few samsung drives.

I like tacos.

skip2mylou
Sr. Modder

no wall is safe...

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2009, 04:25:18 PM »

ur right, most DVD drives are no solder flashable, but the hitachi ROM v79 isnt one of em. it needs a key in the form of a soldered PCB. im gonna see if i can find a RRoD'ed xb360 online with another DVD and switch it with mine.

rattmansam
Talented Modder

If I got it, I mod it!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2009, 04:34:41 PM »

Thats a good idea.

I like tacos.

GamezR2EZ
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2009, 05:26:22 PM »

ur right, most DVD drives are no solder flashable, but the hitachi ROM v79 isnt one of em. it needs a key in the form of a soldered PCB. im gonna see if i can find a RRoD'ed xb360 online with another DVD and switch it with mine.

ahhhh understood
well good news about the RRoD if you do get one with a good drive, you can fix the RRoD and have a flashed xbox and a clean one that you an resell Wink
skip2mylou
Sr. Modder

no wall is safe...

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2009, 09:43:09 PM »

yeah, thats what im hoping for. and if i can find a RRoD'ed one thats still under the 3 year warranty, i can switch the drives (keep seals intact), mod mine, and send in the RRoD'ed one to M$. thus minimal work...

GamezR2EZ
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2009, 11:07:54 PM »

yeah, thats what im hoping for. and if i can find a RRoD'ed one thats still under the 3 year warranty, i can switch the drives (keep seals intact), mod mine, and send in the RRoD'ed one to M$. thus minimal work...

good in theory, bad in application
even if you managed to keep the stickers intact swatching the drive is a dead give away as all XB SN's indicate the parts used in them, they even indicate the factory and assembly line that xbox came from

so M$ will know somethings amuck

you could send in the xbox FIRST then switch the drives
skip2mylou
Sr. Modder

no wall is safe...

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2009, 12:33:48 PM »

yeah thats a better idea, lol. how long does it usually take XB to repair a RRoD, a month maybe?

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: