Softmod Depot
April 24, 2024, 01:29:15 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length
News: 10.23.09 - The website is fully operational again. Thank you for the patience as we put everything back together. Check out the forums for more information if you are curious.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Trying to build a computer  (Read 14359 times)
InsaneTrout
Talented Modder

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2008, 02:29:31 PM »

You also have to watch out when getting big ram sticks. some motherboards support up to 8gb but you cant use 2 4gb sticks because the slots have a limit of say 2gb per slot, so you have to use 4 2gb sticks. mine for instance has a limit of 1gb per slot, but i can have up to 4gb of ram but i need to use a  4 slots to do that.

yup yup that is true

Coburn
Talented Modder

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2008, 05:17:11 PM »

Well, I'll change the video card. And the slots only support 2GB per slot, and I have (4) 2GB sticks. Hence I need 4 slots on the board.

Would a 450watt PSU be good for that? Or would I need to spend the extra money on a new PSU?

GamezR2EZ
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2008, 05:32:58 PM »

PSU PSU PSU
people so often take for granted the PSU doing "math" to see weather the have enough juice

PSU's are the number one causes for system lock ups and crashes (next to windows Tongue)
i would recommend a 700 watt PSU for what you have, if you undershoot you could be slicing the life of ALL of your hardware in half

you can never have to much power

and as someone famous said
"gotta have more powersupply"

or was that cowbell? hmm oh well Wink
Coburn
Talented Modder

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2008, 11:38:23 PM »

ok, ok! I'll splurge for a new PSU! 850 watts!

Are PSU's all the same size? Like does it matter if I put a new PSU in a 2007 PC? or a 2004 PC?

InsaneTrout
Talented Modder

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2008, 11:33:14 AM »

ok, ok! I'll splurge for a new PSU! 850 watts!

Are PSU's all the same size? Like does it matter if I put a new PSU in a 2007 PC? or a 2004 PC?

Umm I'm not really sure on that one because I just got my new PSU and mobo and such and the mobo I got is MicroATX but the PSU was just normal ATX and both fit o so snug... lol well the mobo did after a littl cutting in the back but that was necessary because I'm working with like a case from 2003  that isn't precut in the back. but anyways I'm not sure if your tower is small then I guess get a MicroATX PSU if it's mid or full then I think go with just an ATX PSU. I mean worst case scenario it doesn't fit and you learn what you need from there on and you can just send it back and get a dif one. that's about all I can deliver in my knowledge towards this Tongue

Coburn
Talented Modder

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2008, 05:37:18 PM »

yea, all the cases I'd be putting it in are mid or full tower. So I'd just get an ATX power supply.

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: