Softmod Depot
April 25, 2024, 07:16:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length
News: 10.23.09 - The website is fully operational again. Thank you for the patience as we put everything back together. Check out the forums for more information if you are curious.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: iPod Hacking: The Basic's  (Read 4630 times)
GamezR2EZ
« on: July 25, 2008, 07:29:32 AM »

So many people still have not come over to the dark side in the iPod hacking world
Does your iPod look like this?

Would you like it to look like this?

INSTALLATION:

Its actually a very simple process. Only 1 simple tool is needed.

It's called iPod Wizard
While it's last release date is 06/25/2007 (as of 7/25/08) at version 1.3, that in no way makes this program outdated. In fact there just hasn't been a need to update it. After you download it you will need to have installed iTunes
iPodWizard does not require iTunes and if you use an alternative like anaPod or Winamp iPod plug-in, iPodWizard will still do the job.

THE BASIC'S:

For this "hack" we will be using a 5th gen iPod. However the basic principles here apply to all the series of iPod.

The "hack's" for the iPod are actually just loading firmware's, which is very safe, but if you mess up your iPod, it's still your fault Wink. To find firmware's you can always google for them. However, if you are just starting, you may want to check here for some "hack's" Smiley.

For this tutorial we will be using the iPod Classic to iPod Video firmware. I will upload it to our file section. There are many different ones available but this is the most simple and problem free one that i have found.

FLASHING THE FIRMWARE:

Plug in your iPod and start up iPod Wizard. You will need to shutdown iTunes completely, it cannot be running at all. You will notice in the top-right portion of the iPod Wizard screen it says the drive letter and the name of the ipod.

You will be on the "Firmware editor" tab. Move over to the "Updater" tab. Select the option "Extract firmware binary from your iPod" and save the file to a folder.
IMPORTANT: Stay on the iPod Wizard screen the entire time the firmware is dumping, otherwise it won't complete. I named mine "currentfirm.bin" and saved to the folder "iPod" on the desktop.

Whatever firmware you have downloaded will come with a binary. On the iPod Wizard screen, at the very top, next to "Edit Mode:" pick "Firmware File" from the drop-down box. Then click "Open Firmware". Navigate to the binary file of the new firmware and click "Open". Stay on the screen the whole time it is loading, otherwise it may not load properly. After it has loaded click the OK button, now click the "Eject" button under the iPod drive. It will say "Unmounted". Do not unplug it yet. It will reboot, after you see the apple logo you should unplug it.

Congratulations, you should now have a flashed iPod, if there was an error, DONT WORRY! Most, if not all, errors can be fixed.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This tutorial is a work in progress, so please as questions and point out errors. I may post more pictures if needed.

As far as i know the following iPod's have not been hacked.

iPod 6th gen
iPod nano 2nd and 3rd gen
ALL iPod Shuffle's
iPod Touch
« Last Edit: July 25, 2008, 04:24:04 PM by GamezR2EZ » Logged
Art2Fly
Talented Modder

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2008, 01:15:56 PM »

is there anything at all for ipod nano 2nd gen???

" I'm gonna rip your throat and s**t down your neck!" -- Duke Nukem
All in all, it was a good day. Especially considering I didn't even have to use my AK.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: