Softmod Depot
April 19, 2024, 04:45:56 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length
News: 10.23.09 - The website is fully operational again. Thank you for the patience as we put everything back together. Check out the forums for more information if you are curious.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Arg! YouTube and the law...  (Read 12677 times)
skip2mylou
Sr. Modder

no wall is safe...

View Profile
« on: June 20, 2008, 07:03:30 PM »

hey guys, im a big youtube guy and frankly i post some stuff that may arouse concern about copyrights. i recently got this email.

anyways, it tells me that Carsey Werner, aka the CW, which was formerly known as KTLA, a Californian programming channel has used some video identification and found that one of my posts matched a show they aired. im just gonna say it, its true. i got a request to post some "Grounded for Life" episodes so i went ahead with it. it turns out that such acts are considered big no-no's. anyways the email i got was kind of confusing, i dont understand what its saying. it says that the video is blocked, but i can still see it. and then it goes on to say that its allowed, so uhhh, what? it did say something about advertisements. what i gathered is that they would allow the video to stay on youtube as long as they could run their ads on the same page and keep track of the views and comments. well i think thats what it says. anyways just wondering what i would do from my current position. do i need to contact CW, because youtube is apparently only the messenger in this whole bit. they refuse to get involved in any way due to legal issues. i guess i can understand, but im still in the dust. how can i tell CW that they can put ads on the page as long as they allow the video to be shown? what do i need to do, or does no action have to be taken? can i  continue posting more episodes of this show without worrying that i'll get into any legal trouble? thanks.

Kyla666 (zzk2001)
Administrator
Super Modder

Kicking ass

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2008, 07:11:07 PM »

I would take it Off Or you'll End up loseing  all the videos when they delete you.
skip2mylou
Sr. Modder

no wall is safe...

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2008, 09:20:12 PM »

so i remove my "bad" videos from youtube and in an effort to post them somewhere, i remembered a site... Todou.com which i recalled was used a lot on sidereel.com to post videos of similar nature to mine. so i signed up. however the site is in Chinese, and i figured, i might as well spend some time finding an English site which offered the same thing, than spend so much time trying to navigate the site. god bless tinypic.com. anyways, back to navigation... now that i have a site that i can use to do my evil with, i no longer need Todou.com. so i want to unsubscribe from it, frankly because i didn't see the need to belong to a site which i don't want or plan to use. however, the whole bit about the site being in Chinese really messes with me, because i have to babelfish every word, and try as i might, i just can't seem to make any progress. so i humbly request.... would anyone happen to know how i can unsubscribe (unregister) from Todou.com? thanks.

Kyla666 (zzk2001)
Administrator
Super Modder

Kicking ass

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2008, 01:06:32 AM »

Well if your useing IE6 or i think even  IE7  when you place your mouse over a Link  on the Buttom left of the page it displays What the link is In english.
GamezR2EZ
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2008, 09:15:40 AM »

Go here paste webstie url into appropriate area, and click translate from (the language) to english
skip2mylou
Sr. Modder

no wall is safe...

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2008, 09:24:31 AM »

thanks, but im not having trouble translating the page, im having trouble navigating it.

GamezR2EZ
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2008, 10:54:07 AM »

if you translate it you can navagate it....
skip2mylou
Sr. Modder

no wall is safe...

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2008, 11:08:30 AM »

thanks. i tried using the translator, but i cant get past the login page. i put in my login info and it just sits, whereas on the original page i make progress. but its useless to login into the original page bc i cant get around...

on a side note, im on Blip.tv trying to play a file, and im selecting the option to view the original .avi file. when i click to play, i get the Firefox notice that im missing plugins. when i click find missing plugin, it tells me this...

does anyone know where i can find and install the correct plugin? i googled it but no avail. thanks.

rattmansam
Talented Modder

If I got it, I mod it!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2008, 07:02:40 PM »

umm dont worry at all about that it will just set advertisments for the show there and stuff but there is no legal trouble what so ever

I like tacos.

skip2mylou
Sr. Modder

no wall is safe...

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2008, 08:44:45 PM »

really are u sure, so i can post the videos and have no problems?

guess what, i posted the videos on blip.tv and after i had posted three seasons worth, they closed my account. i thought they didnt care about copyrights and all but i guess i was wrong, im going to try youtube tho...

GamezR2EZ
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2008, 10:11:12 PM »

lol peer pressure...
rattmansam
Talented Modder

If I got it, I mod it!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2008, 11:58:47 AM »

umm that shouldnt be illegal Huh

I like tacos.

skip2mylou
Sr. Modder

no wall is safe...

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2008, 12:22:30 PM »

awesome. i guess there really was no problem. i upped almost a season of "Grounded for life" and the few videos that were ID'ed as copyrighted material are just going to have ads for the production company on the video pages. no videos or accounts are going to be deleted. that makes me happy. thanks for all the help.

Snafupossum
Administrator
Sr. Modder

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2008, 04:06:54 PM »

skip2mylou, have you tried vlc plugin for firefox

skip2mylou
Sr. Modder

no wall is safe...

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2008, 04:50:54 PM »

i dont recall ever installing it... but why would i need it?

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: