Softmod Depot
March 28, 2024, 02:14:08 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length
News: 10.23.09 - The website is fully operational again. Thank you for the patience as we put everything back together. Check out the forums for more information if you are curious.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How to begin?  (Read 12934 times)
kingyiff
« on: January 12, 2006, 05:58:52 PM »

Hey, I have a dreamcast and have just recently thought about modding it.

Can someone tell me where to download a softmod or something to allow me to mod it.

Is it even worth modding or not? What is the advantage of modding it?

And one more thing ... is it supposed to display some sort of dash or something, because when i turn mine on it just sits with a black screen. I dont have any games anymore to try and play on it, but i will go buy some when i get money.

Thanks,

- dR fweega -
Kyla666 (zzk2001)
Administrator
Super Modder

Kicking ass

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2006, 10:28:42 AM »

Go here and Read it,  it may help you

http://dreamlover.tecbox.com/#2.1

From what i can tell Bruning DC games are easy But i don't have a DC so i can't test =(
kingyiff
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2006, 10:35:21 AM »

Thanks zzk
MIKEMAN
Jr. Modder

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2006, 09:42:59 AM »

dR,

To begin the dark road to Dreamcast softmodding you really only need a very general knowledge of how the backup process is done.

I am going to bypass all the technical junk (like I almost always do) and say this:

There is 2 ways (that I know of) to play backed up games. First is a special iso boot loader you can find if you google. Second is a patched iso.

Now the first option is very simple. Pop in the boot loader, wait for the Sega logo, then you see a strange looking dog with antlers (no joke!), then you put in your backed up cdr game. You are good to go.

Second option is even easier, you just play the backed up game. These games are patched with the proper boot sector to allow the games to load from the console. I should point out that most popular games have been patched and work fine. PROPS go out to the group ECHOLEON who did most of the games I have.

If you are just looking to get some games working on your dreamcast box I suggest downloading the iso's. NOTE: Dreamcast are not dvd size. They are cdr size (700 megs or smaller).

If you need the bootloader and cant find it, msg me and I will see if I can dig it up Wink

If you need instruction on how to burn or backup original isos I may make a tutorial when I have more time.

For now if you have the iso on your hard drive use an app like Alcohol 120%

Hope this helps

MIKEMAN
Kyla666 (zzk2001)
Administrator
Super Modder

Kicking ass

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2006, 09:42:03 AM »

New Update i got from checking around you need a Dreamcast that was Made Befor Oct. 2000

if you got one thats after you'll have to get reMade Games with remade audio codes

anyway Best to have a DC made befor Oct. 2000 

i am going out to buy me a DC today need to think of a way to get them to let me hold it to see when it was made lol  Grin
Kyla666 (zzk2001)
Administrator
Super Modder

Kicking ass

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2006, 08:23:49 PM »

Getting My DreamCast in 3 Days =) soon i'll be testing the games i have Done burned to CD =)
infamousdice
Super Modder

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2007, 07:49:30 AM »

do you need a mod chip for this system

Kyla666 (zzk2001)
Administrator
Super Modder

Kicking ass

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2007, 11:01:39 AM »

NO
infamousdice
Super Modder

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2007, 01:05:25 PM »

so it is like a softmod rgith

nathonix
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2007, 06:38:08 AM »

there is no modding to be done to the actual system, you just need a boot cd or to modify the boot section of the iso/cdi/mdf/whatever.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: