Softmod Depot
March 28, 2024, 04:52:31 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length
News: 10.23.09 - The website is fully operational again. Thank you for the patience as we put everything back together. Check out the forums for more information if you are curious.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: I need a Gamecube experts advice  (Read 18708 times)
drfweega
« on: April 14, 2008, 09:02:29 PM »

I want to mod my Gamecube but I can't decide on whether to get a Viper GC or a Qoob. I need some leading through the first stages of Gamecube modding because it isn't a very big scene and I can't find much info on it. Any help would be appreciated.

I need the following answered:
╙ What chip should I buy?
╙ What case should I get for the ability to play full-size DVDs?
╙ What kind of software/emulators can I run?
╙ How does the game backup process work?
╙ Network access? FTP?

Thanks.
GamezR2EZ
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2008, 09:32:49 PM »

1. Viper GC
2. you could if you want, its not a big deal
4. Keyword: Phantasy Star Online
5. Look above at keyword and use broadband connector

The whole hacking centers around the Game above and a broadband connector, it hooks into your computer and you use a workaround and stuff, im sorry i cant be more help, just google the game with "mod guide" at the end and you should find a guide, easily

ill see if i can track some stuff down (havent done this in years)

EDIT:
http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/61273

that should help a little
« Last Edit: April 14, 2008, 09:38:37 PM by GamezR2EZ » Logged
drfweega
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2008, 10:43:24 PM »

Thanks for the reply. I'll check out getting the VIper GC, know any good sites to buy one from? Should I get a large DVD case cover or should I just buy these?

Do you have a Viper GC or do you have experience with it? Is it a good modchip? Is it easy to flash different BIOS, if you are supposed to do that to allow your chip to support the booting of backups.
GamezR2EZ
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2008, 12:28:29 PM »

Thanks for the reply. I'll check out getting the VIper GC, know any good sites to buy one from? Should I get a large DVD case cover or should I just buy these?

Do you have a Viper GC or do you have experience with it? Is it a good modchip? Is it easy to flash different BIOS, if you are supposed to do that to allow your chip to support the booting of backups.

lota questions, lol

i havent modded a gamecube in 4 years or so, im a little out of the loop
i always used the Viper chip, the one time i used a different one(i dont even remeber what the other chip was now to be honest) it ended up being an extremly hard install with crap features

i never did to much BIOS falshing (that means i never did it) and it played everygame we threw at it with ease, so if you do have to do any it would be pretty easy from what i have heard

you can go either way on the DVD, if you want to use standard DVD's because of availability you can, i always went mini, but thats just me

if you want DVD movie playback you will need the full size dvd

i dont have a GC anymore, but from what i remeber, it is able to read a full sized disc, but you cant load it in, they have replacments for the top part allowing a full disc to sit in the gamecube

and i have no clue where to buy any of this stuff anymore, the sites i used to go to shut down years ago

but anyway, just dig around, all the peices start to come together, it isnt a very big scene at all
drfweega
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2008, 12:48:43 PM »

Thanks for the help, I'll post back if I have any more questions but I think you've summed it all up and I'll definitely go get a Viper chip.

One last thing, any specific brand mini DVD-Rs I should get?
realg123
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2008, 04:21:54 PM »

You can use DVD -, all you would have to do is play with the gamecube top off There is a little button that you tape down, in order for the dvd to spin with the top off. Gamecube can only read 1.4 gb. And all gamecubes do not exceed that. I purchased a modded gamecube a while ago I believe it had the xeno modchip in it. Had no problems with it.

check out : http://www.modchip.ca/store/product.php?productid=16286
GamezR2EZ
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2008, 06:42:04 PM »

i have seen the xeno, never installed it
its ok i guess, i just prefer the Viper, but he can get what he likes

as far as the 1.4gb, if you stream the "game" (it can be anything) it will detect over 1.4gb, but i never did go through that whole process

and just for the record, i dont know if its your chip, but i havent actauly heard anything about the "1.4gb" cap, because i used to watch movies on mine, and they are over 1.4gb

not saying you are wrong, it may just be your chip
realg123
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2008, 07:30:21 PM »

i heard about the 1.4 gb cap because the lense can only can not move beyond that point.
GamezR2EZ
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2008, 08:02:32 PM »

i heard about the 1.4 gb cap because the lense can only can not move beyond that point.

ohh you are talking stock lens, yeah thats right it wont

JVC has a head that attaches to the top of the cube and replaces the whole lens and top assembly and allows full DVDs (and it actualy isnt considered a "mod" considering it doesnt solder to anything and is completely reversable)

in any case, you can always stream
SatanX
Jr. Modder

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2008, 08:01:06 AM »

I bought the Viper GC Extreme from consolesource.com. It has an attachable USB port that plugs into the serial port at the bottom. I haven't been able to burn games yet. I'm still looking for the right media
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: