Softmod Depot
March 29, 2024, 07:33:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length
News: 10.23.09 - The website is fully operational again. Thank you for the patience as we put everything back together. Check out the forums for more information if you are curious.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Can a new HDD be softmodded w/o Action Replay?  (Read 19948 times)
metroplex2k7
« on: March 18, 2008, 07:40:46 AM »

Ok, I have an old 40 GB HDD from fiance's old computer, (i'm talking Athlon 850Mhz CPU / 128Mb RAM) old.  I would like to hook it up to my PC, format it, and then make an already softmodded Xbox HDD out of it.  Can I do that by just plugging the HDD into my PC, download the proper files on it and installing it into my Xbox or do I still need the Action Replay and 007,MA,SC games and all that jazz?

And if so can someone direct me to a step by step that doesn't use a bunch of computer anagrams and technical jargon?  As far as computer knowledge, I'm in the amateur area I think.  (noob, novice, amateur, pro, master)  I need it to be short but step by step, I have bad dyslexia and big technical articles are kinda hard on me.

Thanks.  You guys are the best!
GamezR2EZ
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2008, 09:49:07 AM »

yes it is very easy to do what you are asking

but first you will need to get your EEPROM
to do this you have to preform a hotswap, this involves powering up your xbox and ripping the IDE plug out of the harddrive at the right moment and having it be "unlocked", you then have to softmod it on your computer, which we can walk you through

after having had it softmodded you can then retrive your EEPROM, this can be used to lock your 40gb drive

if you feel comfortable with doing that then we can tell you how, there is a risk in hotswapping however

let me know if you still want to do this

and you can make a new drive softmodded but you will need to have your EEPROM to lock it
Snipes101
Technical Support Team
Sr. Modder

!!!Live Free For Ever!!!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2008, 01:31:36 PM »

Ok, I have an old 40 GB HDD from fiance's old computer, (i'm talking Athlon 850Mhz CPU / 128Mb RAM) old.  I would like to hook it up to my PC, format it, and then make an already softmodded Xbox HDD out of it.  Can I do that by just plugging the HDD into my PC, download the proper files on it and installing it into my Xbox or do I still need the Action Replay and 007,MA,SC games and all that jazz?

And if so can someone direct me to a step by step that doesn't use a bunch of computer anagrams and technical jargon?  As far as computer knowledge, I'm in the amateur area I think.  (noob, novice, amateur, pro, master)  I need it to be short but step by step, I have bad dyslexia and big technical articles are kinda hard on me.

Thanks.  You guys are the best!

Yes my friend you can, but like Gamez said,  "You need your eeprom.bin file from your xbox" and to get this you would have to softmod your xbox first, then retrieve it through FTP allowing us to help you softmod your xbox Grin
metroplex2k7
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2008, 09:07:53 PM »

Wow, I really am impressed with the courtesy on this site.  Thanks alot.  They sound like a good idea, but if I have to softmod the xbox first, then I wouldn't have to hotswap it, right?  If its that risky, I think I'll just softmod the xbox first, then make a new HDD using the xbox hdd maker program.  Oh, I think I'm going to be using Krazie's Ndure 1.1 (007auf).  If I need help, I'll definately let you guys know.  Thanks a bunch.
GamezR2EZ
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2008, 09:16:48 PM »

i would recommend only hotswapping as a last resort (i.e. xbox is already messed up)
yes using that save is a good idea

on the bright side, after using the save\exploit to softmod you will be able to pull the xbox EEPROM.bin and build that 40gb HDD and lock it, no hotswapping 100% safe
metroplex2k7
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2008, 08:05:21 AM »

sweet, i should be getting my AR in the next couple days, once I softmod it, I'll write you guys to do the HDD build.  thanks to all.  "high praise!"
Snipes101
Technical Support Team
Sr. Modder

!!!Live Free For Ever!!!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2008, 12:25:51 PM »

sweet, i should be getting my AR in the next couple days, once I softmod it, I'll write you guys to do the HDD build.  thanks to all.  "high praise!"

No problem, where here to help. Just make sure 007 isn't the platinum version and you should be ok. Other then that good luck Grin
metroplex2k7
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2008, 02:00:28 PM »

I wish it could be as easy as somebody just making a huge rar file that has everything you needed to softmod the xbox on it (eeprom.bin, exploits, installer, etc.) so you could transfer it from your pc HDD to the HDD you want to make into a new, bigger, softmodded xbox hdd without hotswapping or the action replay.  just drag and drop, then run xboxhdm, wouldnt that be nice?
GamezR2EZ
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2008, 03:57:15 PM »

YEAH that would be nice
problem is the EEPROM is specific to each xbox
it is actually a code writen onto an EEPROM (Electronic something something Read Only Memory, cant remeber what it stands for)
so you CANT do that

however if they could make a disc that the xbox could read even if it isn't modded (ie DVD-R that acts like a ROM) THEN we really could do it
Snipes101
Technical Support Team
Sr. Modder

!!!Live Free For Ever!!!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2008, 10:53:27 PM »

however if they could make a disc that the xbox could read even if it isn't modded (ie DVD-R that acts like a ROM) THEN we really could do it

How ever they never make it that easy.........o well, thats why theirs a challenge to modders like us Wink
metroplex2k7
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2008, 05:42:55 PM »

Hey guys, I got my Xbox softmodded, now I want to put stuff on it, can you help, here's where I posted my request:

http://www.smdepot.net/forum/index.php?topic=2317.0
Snipes101
Technical Support Team
Sr. Modder

!!!Live Free For Ever!!!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2008, 09:35:48 PM »

Hey guys, I got my Xbox softmodded, now I want to put stuff on it, can you help, here's where I posted my request:

http://www.smdepot.net/forum/index.php?topic=2317.0

Great now make sure you pull out your eeprom from you E:/backups folder, better yet just pull out that hole folder in to your computer and keep it safe Grin
metroplex2k7
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2008, 02:59:44 AM »

I did, I put it into its own folder on my PCHDD.
metroplex2k7
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2008, 05:48:07 AM »

Ok, I got the Softmodded Xbox, got a 40Gb HDD I dont use, how to I turn it into a new xbox HDD.  I need the "I make a noob look like a master" step by step.  I did figure out that the master cable is the top one and the slave is the middle one.
GamezR2EZ
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2008, 11:25:53 AM »

You can do it the way i normally do
The instructions are here

Make sure the drive is compatible

the files you will need can be found in zzk all-in-one hotswap mod (which i can NOT find a link for)
so you will have to take your files off of your already modded xbox (just FTP over the C and E drives) also you can put your eeprom in the Eeprom folder of XboxHDM, this way it makes it easier
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: