Softmod Depot
April 19, 2024, 11:23:16 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length
News: 10.23.09 - The website is fully operational again. Thank you for the patience as we put everything back together. Check out the forums for more information if you are curious.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: iPod Nano 3rd gen? Well not quite...  (Read 4092 times)
skip2mylou
Sr. Modder

no wall is safe...

View Profile
« on: February 16, 2008, 08:06:24 PM »

hey everyone, a while back i ordered a few mp3, or should i say mp4 players on ebay. they looks very similar to the ipod nano 3rd gen, but are of course different. they have the same dimensions but instead of the ipod docking input, they have a usb input. they also have a totally different operating system. o did i mention that the click wheel doesnt scroll. ok so far it sounds all negative, but it does play mp3's so i guess not all is lost huh?

ok so the point... well there are several questions i wanted to ask about tweaking this piece of... hardware. the main one being if there is anyway that i can totally remove the current operating system and load one similar to that of the ipod. u know, one with a similar interface. the current OS is just way too, well its just wrong. the file names are truncated when they are loaded onto the player. and for all my mp3s, ive got the artist's name first then the track title. well when the file names are shortened, all that shows is the artists name so its almost impossible to tell what im playing. i figure that a change of OS might correct this and hopefully it would present a navigation im sorta familiar with, like that of the ipods.

i was considering the ipod firmware load, i think apple has it somewhere, where you can reflash an original ipod with the ipod firmware found on its site. so i was thinking about doing this with my unit. however, my player has more functions that an ipod, and i felt that by flashing it with the apple firmware (assuming the flash would be successful) then all the extra features of my unit (like radio, video, ebook, etc) would be wiped out.

i know im going in circles with this by my umbrella question is regarding a replacement of the current OS on the unit. can it be done with preserving the functionality of the player?

another question is regarding the clickwheel. is there a way that i can install one in the player?

i know my questions have a hint of n00b in them, but please bear with me. this is a new gadget and i cant wait to tear it apart, and mod the hell out of it. thanks.

Snafupossum
Administrator
Sr. Modder

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2008, 01:29:33 AM »

There isn't any ways of changing the firmware because the modding community simply is not there.

P.S. You already have a topic over this same subject?

skip2mylou
Sr. Modder

no wall is safe...

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2008, 01:35:36 AM »

thanks for clearing that up. ur right, my apologies for posting again, however this topic regards the software modding of the unit. i believe the other one detailed replacing the type of memory from hdd to CF. but ur right, i could have just posted this bit in the old thread. sorry for that.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: