Softmod Depot
March 29, 2024, 05:11:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length
News: 10.23.09 - The website is fully operational again. Thank you for the patience as we put everything back together. Check out the forums for more information if you are curious.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Poll
Question: What would you rate this info?
This is Win! - 9 (75%)
This is Fail! - 0 (0%)
I don't care... (why are you here?) - 3 (25%)
Total Voters: 9

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Wii, super step forward in modding!  (Read 9504 times)
thrash

View Profile
« on: December 28, 2007, 04:03:16 PM »

Hey all, it's been a while since I've last posted.

Anyway, I looked in this sub-forum and noticed that not one person had posted about it, so here goes.

Headline:
The Wii, Officially "hacked"?

The guys over at 24C3 just demoed a Wii hack that is set to provide native Wii
    homebrew in the near future (not running in GC mode, and with full access to all the Wii hardware!)

They were able to find encryption and decryption keys by doing full memory
    dumps at runtime over a custom serial interface. Using these keys, they were
    able to create a Wii ‘game’ that ran their own code (their demo happened to show live sensor/Wiimote information, amongst a few other things).

Included Video:
Code:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=H5YB1Mmx7E4

My Source: Wiinintendo
Original Source: Nintendo-scene

Get ready, it's going to be a wild ride!
GamezR2EZ
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2007, 04:19:15 PM »

No way, thats what i have been looking for, it gives access to the USB ports, which means external HDD's, which means games backups, and i completely understood every word he said!!!!!!!! i knew exactally what and where he was talking about!!! WOOT, lol

looks like its time for me to shove that serial port in my Wii, i have been waiting
thrash

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2007, 05:05:47 PM »

^^,

This bit of news actually puts the wii into higher favor over buying a 360 (it was a bit of a tough choice to begin with, but hey my Gcube just shutdown for good lol).

I can't wait to see things shoot off for the wii like it did for the OG xbox.

Lemme know how your experiments go GamezR2EZ Tongue
Snipes101
Technical Support Team
Sr. Modder

!!!Live Free For Ever!!!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2007, 09:12:41 PM »

which means external HDD's, which means games backups

Don't get my hopes up Gamez, I just got a Wii for Christmas so yeah. Any way, so dose this mean we should be able to softmod or hardmod. Cause I don't wanna open up my Wii.
thrash

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2007, 10:54:40 PM »

Atm, it means that hard-modding your Wii is that much more lucrative. With this info, it should be easy enough to make chips that use the same idea he was presenting.

On the flip side though, softmodding shouldn't be too far behind, because they have all the info that the wii ever accesses. Eventually they should come up with a working softmod ;P

I say homewbrew using the super-hardmod to come out in about 6 months or less, and I say that the softmod scene won't be far behind!
GamezR2EZ
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2007, 02:59:52 PM »

The tricky part for softmodding from what i know about the Wii, will be not getting the info on there (you can make a "fake" Mii file and dump it via bluetooth, and load it into the Wii, or alot of other things) it will be figuring out how to bypass the HARDWARE portion of the Wii, in effect it will have to stick the hardware in the "on" position, which is going to be hard, unless they make a custom firmware, and a million other things, none of which i can do Wink

but i have been onto of wii modding for a while, just trying to pic the best way to mod it (yes HardMod) cause i dont want to add more wires, i can always upgrade the chip though, anyway time will tell
and snipes IT WILL HAPPEN, game backups are not to far away, the whole issue was no access to the USB ports, and no other media other than DVD for backups
infamousdice
Super Modder

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2008, 12:43:17 AM »

if it happens that you could back up games in a external HDD i have a 500 g waiting to be lit and in that case i will sell one of my xbox 360s and buy me a Wii

SatanX
Jr. Modder

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2008, 02:01:00 AM »

Oh wow. This is mega win. I was thinking about buying a Wii when I had the cash but I'll probably pick up two if this is the case. Hopefully this means somebody will write an awesome GC emulator for it.
Kyla666 (zzk2001)
Administrator
Super Modder

Kicking ass

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2008, 05:41:56 AM »

the start of the New Year has alot of good stuff comeing out =)  like the PS3's NADE dump  Just a matter of time till theres a CFW for PS3 =)
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: