Softmod Depot
April 23, 2024, 12:13:33 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length
News: 10.23.09 - The website is fully operational again. Thank you for the patience as we put everything back together. Check out the forums for more information if you are curious.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Microsoft finaly tries to fix over heating problems.  (Read 5744 times)
Snafupossum
Administrator
Sr. Modder

View Profile WWW
« on: August 01, 2007, 09:33:17 PM »

2nd GPU Heatsink now also in New Units - New Thermal Paste?

>> We already saw this 2nd GPU heatsink on refurbished motherboards, but it looks like Microsoft also ads it to new boards now. Ben Heck found it in his newly bought Elite:

Below is the unit thus far. Quite obvious is the new model DVD drive and the heat pipe ''extension'' for the GPU's heat sink. I've seen some photos of these being added to fixed units, in France or something, but I guess they're putting them in the Elite as well. Good show MS. Now get those 65nm IC's all up in this.

Here's a good view of the heat sink area. The CPU 'sink is the same as before, because we all know the problem was with the GPU. Now not only is there a heat pipe going over the GPU but the material the heat sink is made out of seems different as well - it doesn't feel like aluminum. (Originally it was a fairly generic aluminum heat sink that would honestly look more at home in a 486.) Maybe I can get NASA to scan it for me, or maybe who cares as long as it works?

I then proceeded to pull off the heat sinks. Immediately I noticed that they had some wiggle to them, kind of like a PC heat sink usually does. The older 360's heat sinks were quite well locked in place, and I'm not talking about the X clamps on the bottom either. The thermal paste on the older boxes was quite hard and you had to literally ''break'' the heat sink off the chips.
True enough, once I pulled them off and had a look, the thermal paste on the heat sinks was much - for lack of a better word - GOOEY-ER than it used to be. Perhaps this allows for more expansion and thus a more consistent connection between the die and the heat sink. But I'm no brain scientist (for 50 points what movie was that term in?) so it's hard for me to say for sure.

Note however that not all Elites have this 2nd GPU heatsink. When the Elite was just released several sites opened their machine and did not find this new heatsink. Microsoft probably started using the new heatsink at a certain manufacturing date and chances are the newly produced Core and Pro units have it too.

Before:

after:

^ben heck thinks its hot glue surrounding the gpu and cpu now, but i think its rtv, as ive used rtv on many different applications such as rc cars/boats, at work where tools can get up to 270c, and many other places.

Snipes101
Technical Support Team
Sr. Modder

!!!Live Free For Ever!!!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2007, 05:40:30 AM »

HHuummmm loook cool but i dont have that in my xbox, and it never over heats.. But thank for the info Snafu
Snafupossum
Administrator
Sr. Modder

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2007, 07:09:39 AM »

i just got my 360 like 3 weeks ago i bet it has that new heatsink, but i dont wanna open and look cuz i wanna try and hold out as long as i can before i get to ansy and open it.

ARMYCABOOSE
Jr. Modder

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2007, 09:34:50 AM »

its about time... i got the 3 rings of death and my xbox still works. support told me to keep it until it happens again. im thinking about it as i write this... im gonna send it back.(i think its an overheated chip or a faulty temp sensor.)
Snafupossum
Administrator
Sr. Modder

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2007, 02:58:15 PM »

the first day i got my 360 i got the rod, i turned my 360 right at the same time the power went out (whats the odds?) and when i turned it back on, i got the rod. but i unplugged the psu from the wall and then plugged it back in and it worked again.

ARMYCABOOSE
Jr. Modder

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2007, 11:02:47 PM »

yeah well mine turns out to be a corrupt hard drive so im ok
infamousdice
Super Modder

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2007, 01:48:06 PM »

dam that sucks i have the old one =( Cry

Pages: [1]
  Print