Softmod Depot
March 28, 2024, 06:55:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length
News: 10.23.09 - The website is fully operational again. Thank you for the patience as we put everything back together. Check out the forums for more information if you are curious.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Installing Second Hard Drive?  (Read 14026 times)
Art2Fly
Talented Modder

View Profile
« on: May 02, 2007, 05:04:07 PM »

Ok I have a used 160 GB Maxtor Hard drive and it has Windows XP Home Edition Installed into it. I want to install it on my computer but how will i do that

" I'm gonna rip your throat and s**t down your neck!" -- Duke Nukem
All in all, it was a good day. Especially considering I didn't even have to use my AK.
drfweega
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2007, 07:43:15 PM »

Your question can have multiple answers..
1) Installing it in the computer case itself (hardware)
2) Installing it on your PC (software)

1) Open your case up and you will see a spot for HDDs because that is all that could fit there and you will no doubt already see a harddrive there. Place it in there and hook up the power and the ribbon cable. Pretty easy to do.

2) Well if it already has Windows XP on it then you will need to install a fresh copy because XP cannot be transferred from PC to PC. You need to place the XP disc into your computer and change your CMOS (F2 when you turn on your PC, although your computer might be different) settings to boot to CD/DVD drive first so that the disc will load up. Then follow the steps and do a format and create the partition. Then it's all straight forward from there on.
Art2Fly
Talented Modder

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2007, 03:38:20 PM »

ok well, i have read something about slaves and such i want this hard drive to be my C:/ drive how will i do that? Oh and also i don't have any extra things like pins because the drive is used -OR- how will i be able to use this on my xbox if the drive has windows installed already?

All in all, it was a good day. Especially considering I didn't even have to use my AK.
Kyla666 (zzk2001)
Administrator
Super Modder

Kicking ass

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2007, 03:21:27 AM »

you can't have two xbox HDD's Runing at the Same time What ppl do is set Two up with a switch and just flip the switch when they want to use the Other HDD
Art2Fly
Talented Modder

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2007, 05:14:18 PM »

no i was planning to take out the stock hdd first i just want directions to install it on there. I also need to know how to reformat it so it doesn't have windows anymore

drfweega
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2007, 05:39:02 PM »

... I want to install it on my computer ...
You said you wanted to install it on your computer? I am lost.. now you want it in your Xbox? Then in the second post you mention installing it in your Xbox.
Art2Fly
Talented Modder

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2007, 06:57:15 PM »

i changed my mind in accounting that adding the second drive to the comp will be too dificuilt and i  don't have all of the supplies needed

Kingofrandom78
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2007, 09:14:12 PM »

Just read the hdm tut or use chimp
drfweega
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2007, 08:24:22 AM »

i changed my mind in accounting that adding the second drive to the comp will be too dificuilt and i  don't have all of the supplies needed
Adding the second drive to your PC would be way way way way easier then putting it in a Xbox.
Snafupossum
Administrator
Sr. Modder

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2007, 09:18:49 AM »

all you need to install it in your pc, is a screwdriver, and a extra power cale in your pc (most have spares) and a open IDE plug. put it in and its done, not nearly as hard as putting it in your xbox.

Kingofrandom78
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2007, 11:50:08 AM »

MY BUMHOEL! u gotta install drivers like a fukin machine
Kyla666 (zzk2001)
Administrator
Super Modder

Kicking ass

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2007, 01:23:23 PM »

i have never need to install HDD drivers befor for PC  NEVER lol 

But yea installing a HDD is just plug and pay  WAY to easy even a 90 year Old man could do it

Kingofrandom78
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2007, 01:25:27 PM »

if its installed in one machine it has the drivers for that. u change to a diff machine you need da drivers for da machine. DIFFERENT HARDWARE
Art2Fly
Talented Modder

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2007, 03:26:58 PM »

exactly Yachi is right and plus i want to make it master so i'm going to have to transfer all of my files to the drive. using xboxhdm seems a lot easier than in the computer

Kingofrandom78
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2007, 03:28:38 PM »

Grin of corse im right. Im brilliant shure
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: