Softmod Depot
April 23, 2024, 11:43:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length
News: 10.23.09 - The website is fully operational again. Thank you for the patience as we put everything back together. Check out the forums for more information if you are curious.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Change hdd key on stock XBOX hard drive  (Read 6129 times)
xasnrkz
« on: April 03, 2007, 09:52:40 PM »

I have one of the first WD hard drives (very early v1.0 xbox shipment).  I was wondering if I can unlock this drive and change it's hdd key to something else (for another xbox).  I do have the eeprom/hddkey of the drive and the xbox it came with.  Can I re-lock the drive with a different password after I unlock it? or does something else need to be done?
realg123
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2007, 11:15:37 PM »

You unlock it with the eeprom (hd key), then lock it back with the other eeprom (hd key) that you want to put the hard drive in
xasnrkz
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2007, 01:17:57 AM »

Really then this is my plan.  Use a xenium-modded xbox to unlock drive, dump files on there needed to soft-mod other xbox, flash eeprom of the other xbox using usb key through xenium tools, relock xbox HD with new key, place hd in other xbox and cross fingers.

ty for help
realg123
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2007, 02:26:04 PM »

The hard drive has to be locked in order for the xbox to read the hard drive. So what you should do is get the softmod files put them on the xbox hard drive, unlock it, then lock it back with the other eeprom. You should use xboxhdm skip all the steps and just lock it. That should do the trick
Blink
Global Moderator
Jr. Modder

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2007, 06:54:35 PM »

actually the method xasnrkz described sounds like the easiest and most efficient way of doing it, the question I have is why?  To get the eeprom image from the xbox you are putting this hdd in, it has to be modded in the first place, so preparing a new hdd with softmod stuff on it, seems a bit useless, unless the hdd in the xbox you are putting it in now is failing.  But your methods are correct, once the hdd is unlocked, you can lock it with whatever you want.
xasnrkz
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2007, 07:48:29 PM »

xenium chip can read/write unlocked/locked  hard drives because it has some tools to access the eeprom and a  ftp server afaik..

unless the hdd in the xbox you are putting it in now is failing. 

right
« Last Edit: April 04, 2007, 07:52:05 PM by xasnrkz » Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: