Softmod Depot
March 28, 2024, 02:47:40 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length
News: 10.23.09 - The website is fully operational again. Thank you for the patience as we put everything back together. Check out the forums for more information if you are curious.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Xbox on Trade issues - Error 6, chip issues.  (Read 5563 times)
SatanX
Jr. Modder

View Profile
« on: April 01, 2007, 12:33:24 PM »

I recently traded a guy a modded box for his old xbox and fifty bucks. The problem with his xbox is he had a DUOX2 modchip installed and everytime he starts up his xbox through normal means, without the chip, he would get error 6 which means it can't unlock the HDD and leads me to believe he simply swapped the HDD from another xbox not realizing they are locked specific to each motherboard.

When the xbox is started up via the power button and not the eject button, which powers the chip on, it will not display a picture and in fact, makes a quick power on, power off, then power on, power off and then powers on normally on the third cycle.

I currently have no way into the original HDD to use the dashboard on it. I also recently purchased a Xenium Gold 24K however there is no BIOS loaded onto it that I know of. I have the option to simply plug the xenium gold on top of the pin header instead of the DUOX2 chip. The DUOX2 chip also has a switch for bank 1 and bank 2 and has 512K on each bank. The Xenium Gold has 2MB I believe.

What I'm asking you guys, is anybody who has experience with chips if they could lend a few minutes to helping me get to a point where I can boot into a dashboard or somehow retrieve the eeprom so I can start building a new HDD for it. The only component I aboslutely need is the eeprom and so the trick is getting it. The pin header is only installed on the xbox in question and none of my other xboxes (I currently have 5 sitting here). I have xboxhdm to build a new HDD so I don't need help with that, I just need to get into some type of dashboard whether it be MS or the chip or even what was previously on the HDD.

I have very limited soldering skills but I'm willing to at least attempt something in order to get thix box fixed. I have zero experience with chips, especially soldered ones. To the best of my knowledge, this xbox has worked before but somewhere along the line I think he switched HDDs from another box.

Also, the person who helps me figure it out gets a VIP account on duckweedmafia.com plus the last remaining couple of bucks in my PayPal account if they are interested. It's probably only three dollars though as I'm broke after paying for hosting. 

I also understand that the site is "Softmod Depot" hence the limited resources for chips. I'm just putting the question out there as a few guys I talked to on the channel (as SatanX) seemed to have a pretty good experience with them. So I'm not going to throw a tantrum or something if I don't get the answer I'm looking for and appreciate any help I get (whether it is actually helpful or not) because at least the lovely forum goers attempted to help. I sometimes forget the forums exist because of IRC.
Kyla666 (zzk2001)
Administrator
Super Modder

Kicking ass

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2007, 04:21:41 PM »

well if you can still boot to a Dash like EVOX or UnleashX when the Chip is On you can use a Easy eeprom porgram to get the eeprom then just do a FTP to get it on PC

download Here
http://www.smdepot.net/zzk/Backup_eeprom.rar
Just ftp  this to E:/Apps

If you Can't then you Could Do a Hotswap Pop in a Dash then Load the eeprom program and get it that way as well

+ have you flashed a Bios to bank 1 yet 
« Last Edit: April 01, 2007, 04:44:44 PM by zzk2001 » Logged
SatanX
Jr. Modder

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2007, 05:26:43 PM »

I've never flashed a BIOS. I'd need to be able to boot into EvoX to do it wouldn't I? Because As it stands, I think my absolute last option is hotswapping, like you mentioned, because I can't get it to boot into anything except an error 6.

I've also never hotswapped before either but I have an extra PC that really isn't worth much so I can basically experiment with that too if need be.
Kyla666 (zzk2001)
Administrator
Super Modder

Kicking ass

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2007, 05:34:40 PM »

well if you need any help in Hotswap i'm the person to see =)

i really don't no much about Chips But i do know if you trun on a chip and it's installed right it should boot to it's Own Dash type screen where you can flash the bios from there

i only know alittle about X3 Modchip not really Much about Other Modchipd =(
SatanX
Jr. Modder

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2007, 09:45:51 PM »

yeah something tells me it hasn't been soldered correctly because really, when its powered up the chip should boot up regardless of whether or not the HDD is even present. But then again I'm not sure. I think I'm going to have to give hotswapping a shot because I'm not quite sure how I'm going to be able to flash the chip.

You uploaded some tutorials on youtube for hotswapping didn't you? I'm going to check around the board some more and read up on it. I have some junk computers to mess with so I'm really not too concerned with messing them up. I wouldn't mind finding a solderless adapter for my xenium gold and seeing if it boots up that way.

The original HDD that came with the box is toast, it won't even spin and it just clicks and I keep getting 07 time out.

If you don't mind going over it again briefly, how does hotswapping work and how do I do it without frying something?
Kyla666 (zzk2001)
Administrator
Super Modder

Kicking ass

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2007, 04:15:53 AM »

well if the old HDD is Not Working your Going to have a problem As if the Chip is not working  Even if you load in a Dash on the New HDD it will Not Boot as it has to Be locked to work

Hotswaping Is more or Less easy

this is How i do it

Trun On xbox wait till you See MS Text After Fluber Boot Soon As you See the Text Unplug HDD's IDE Cable
Remeber Keep the Power Pluged In at ALL times Never shut the Power Off with IDE Unpluged
-Turn On PC with your Windows HDD on Secondery Master IDE BUT Befor it Starts Push the Pause/Break Button On your Keabaord

Ok Now Connect the Xbox HDD to Pc's Primary Master IDE  and you'll have a PC hdd with Windows On Secondary Master IDE
-----|----|[xbox] <---Primary Master
-----|----|[PC HDD] <----Secondery Master

Ok Now you have evething connected  Hit Enter On the PC's KeyBaord  (you May need to hit it more then Once)

If all Goes Well it should Boot to Windows

Now just RUN xplorer360beta4 witch you can get Here www.smdepot.net/zzk/xplorer360beta4.rar

it should Load With a Error This IS OK after you push OK you should See 5 Partions

Partion  3 is C  partion 4 is E
xasnrkz
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2007, 01:40:50 PM »

I recently traded a guy a modded box for his old xbox and fifty bucks. The problem with his xbox is he had a DUOX2 modchip installed and everytime he starts up his xbox through normal means, without the chip, he would get error 6 which means it can't unlock the HDD and leads me to believe he simply swapped the HDD from another xbox not realizing they are locked specific to each motherboard.

When the xbox is started up via the power button and not the eject button, which powers the chip on, it will not display a picture and in fact, makes a quick power on, power off, then power on, power off and then powers on normally on the third cycle.

If you power on via the power button does it boot into any sort of dashboard or again error6? 

If you don't have to do any soldering with the d0 switching chips with the xenium should be easy and you can get the eeprom using Xenium HD tools (a program on the modchip), provided the soldering on the box is correct. 

If you do find and want to use a solderless adaptor for the xenium you will likely have to de-solder the pinheader the DUOX2 is using from the LPC. 

The error you are having reminds me of a bad flash on the chip..do you also get FRAG (flashing red and green xbox power led)?  Try switching the banks on the chip using the tiny switch. 

Bios flashing instructions for DUOX2 are here -> http://www.duomodchip.com/english/install.htm#2

I go by the same name in IRC
Kingofrandom78
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2007, 04:18:05 PM »

remove da chip, check traces, check components, resolder.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: