Softmod Depot
April 25, 2024, 02:49:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length
News: 10.23.09 - The website is fully operational again. Thank you for the patience as we put everything back together. Check out the forums for more information if you are curious.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: How to Reduce Lag  (Read 24183 times)
jebus989
« on: November 11, 2005, 04:16:23 PM »

There are a few ways to reduce lag. If your on dial-up the first step would be chew through your modem and get broadband.

- Turn off Firewalls - even though you've set your firewall to allow xlink kai, it will still be scanning inputting and outgoing information. Basically slowing yo ass down. This can also include anti-virus programs. If you dont feel safe w/o it then leave it on.

- Close down messaging programs - MSN AOL w/e these are major resource hogs. Punk those beatches down. No talk. Play.

- Obviously - P2P programs Tongue... anything using you DL or UL connection is a no no. Or at least a pssh bah.

- Go into a private arena - these are often made by people with connections speeds higher than flakey hippys. The less people, the less likely there is to be a lag meister.

- Spyware / Adware / Shiz - scan your pc with w/e anti spyware+adware you kids are using nowadays and get rid of what you can.

- Make sure your in the right place - dont join Aericas if your in Japan... dont join Americas if your in Europe...dont join Japan if your in Americas... don't join Europe just because its the best place in the world... you get the idea

That's all i got right now - feel free to add to this. Theres prolly some simple things i've missed / some complicated things i dont know...
kingyiff
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2005, 11:14:45 PM »

nice ... but it wont help me any

dial-up is a biatch
SMD
Administrator
Administrator
Jr. Modder

:\/: Proud Sweat Shop Owner :\/:

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2005, 07:08:24 AM »

Excellent Tut man. I'd have to say that you guys from the UK are pretty up on things. Way to be. Im quite jeallous that I can't rightfully call someone a GIT or LOON. But it's okay because being black I can say stuff like HEY YO!! WHAT'S UP NUGGANOOCH!!! and the like.

Seriously though.. very well put together. I didn't know that my im's were a huge resource hog. You'd be surprised at how much spam I get via AIM and MSN from everyone who wants to mod Halo ever since we made this thing. BLACKLISTED NUCCAS!

Boost
Softmod Elite
Administrator
Sr. Modder

yeah, we can do that

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2005, 11:26:26 PM »

yo jebus, we played for liek 3 hours jsut now and it was so smooth

you gotta come in a play sometime

HOOK IT UP!

BOOST

Sig Built by BOOST

jebus989
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2005, 10:04:44 AM »

its up man

im now ready to start kicking yall at kai again

roundyz
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2005, 06:39:15 PM »

There are a few ways to reduce lag. If your on dial-up the first step would be chew through your modem and get broadband.

- Turn off Firewalls - even though you've set your firewall to allow xlink kai, it will still be scanning inputting and outgoing information. Basically slowing yo ass down. This can also include anti-virus programs. If you dont feel safe w/o it then leave it on.

- Close down messaging programs - MSN AOL w/e these are major resource hogs. Punk those beatches down. No talk. Play.

- Obviously - P2P programs Tongue... anything using you DL or UL connection is a no no. Or at least a pssh bah.

- Go into a private arena - these are often made by people with connections speeds higher than flakey hippys. The less people, the less likely there is to be a lag meister.

- Spyware / Adware / Shiz - scan your pc with w/e anti spyware+adware you kids are using nowadays and get rid of what you can.

- Make sure your in the right place - dont join Aericas if your in Japan... dont join Americas if your in Europe...dont join Japan if your in Americas... don't join Europe just because its the best place in the world... you get the idea

That's all i got right now - feel free to add to this. Theres prolly some simple things i've missed / some complicated things i dont know...

I agree with the private arena, as the network has to drop packets. The only traffic coming through on a private arena is that of the game. The software just tunnels the traffic so as your ports are open on your firewall it isnt being affected. You are right on anything that uses traffic, even simple things like mail programs doing regular checks can slow you down at the worst time. I try to pic a server in a part of the world where i know they have good connections, usually the US or some parts of europe. Italy is OK sometimes.

Nice tips, cool name Wink

Peace
Clowd
Jr. Modder

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2006, 06:53:21 PM »

Not sure it would work but if clearing up system reasources is something needed i would recommend Going into TaskManager going to Xlinkkai and setting the cpu ussage to either "realtime" or "high" this in theory will disallow reasources to other programs and give them straight to xlink.

Snafupossum
Administrator
Sr. Modder

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2006, 07:24:38 AM »

heres my way to do it to reduce lag. well each person takes about 7k upload for you to host them so first to need to know your upload speed. heres a good link to test http://www.testmy.net/tools/test/u_load.php click on smart test and the number inside (here) is the number u use. simple take 4k off for buffer then divide by 7 and u get how many ppl u can host on halo 2, i dont know hoe this sill work with other games, enjoy

infamousdice
Super Modder

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2007, 01:51:59 PM »

could u play Xlink or xbox connect with dail up

drfweega
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2007, 02:29:22 PM »

Yeah but it would be VERY laggy!
infamousdice
Super Modder

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2007, 02:34:04 PM »

Yeah but it would be VERY laggy!

Could u plz tell me how cuz my friend want to play online

drfweega
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2007, 02:40:52 PM »

Just connect your Xbox to your PC with a HUB or Crossover cable and then connect your Computer to the internet by dialing up. Then launch Xlink and go into Halo 2 channel and then launch Halo 2 on the Xbox and go into System link and choose the game.
infamousdice
Super Modder

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2007, 02:43:19 PM »

Just connect your Xbox to your PC with a HUB or Crossover cable and then connect your Computer to the internet by dialing up. Then launch Xlink and go into Halo 2 channel and then launch Halo 2 on the Xbox and go into System link and choose the game.

Does he has to be connected to the internet

Snafupossum
Administrator
Sr. Modder

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2007, 06:24:28 PM »

yes he still needs to have the phone line from wall to computer to get internet

infamousdice
Super Modder

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2007, 07:28:15 AM »

yea he does