Softmod Depot
March 29, 2024, 05:02:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length
News: 10.23.09 - The website is fully operational again. Thank you for the patience as we put everything back together. Check out the forums for more information if you are curious.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Black Vertical bar on screen  (Read 8187 times)
jdogg69
« on: February 12, 2007, 04:04:10 PM »

When I play Xbox games I get a thin vertical black bar on the left side of the screen. I have a regular 4:3 TV and I have set the video mode to normal (4:3) mode in both the UX dash and MS dash. My tv isnt high definition or anything. I use to have a 2003 v1.3 model xbox until it broke and I never remebered having this black bar issue and I havent changed my tv since then. The screen size can't be adjusted in the Tv's menu either.  Is there a way that I can fix this? or can anyone explain this? It doesnt happen with all games but it happens enough.

I have a xbox 2005 model v1.6 with krayzies ndure 1.1 softmod and the latest UX dash installed

Thanks
Snafupossum
Administrator
Sr. Modder

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2007, 05:19:11 PM »

have you tried plugging something else such as a dvd player or anything to the slot your xbox is plugged into?

jdogg69
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2007, 06:30:40 PM »

Well I would feel pretty stupid if the answer was no but yes i have plugged in other devices such as a dvd player and there is no black bars that appear.
Snafupossum
Administrator
Sr. Modder

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2007, 06:38:33 PM »

try pluging where the a/v cables go into the xbox in and out a couple of times (cleans the connectors a little bit)

drfweega
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2007, 08:05:53 PM »

Does the cable have any physical damage? It could be a bad connection through your A/V cable.
Snafupossum
Administrator
Sr. Modder

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2007, 08:08:11 PM »

yeah thats why i thought maybe his conector from xbox to a/v cabl might need to be cleaned. i had to do it for the cables to my amps b4 and worked like a charm.

drfweega
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2007, 08:10:57 PM »

Yeah, that always seems to be the biggest error in most peoples connection. They usually overlook it and try to look for something more complicated.
jdogg69
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2007, 09:13:17 PM »

hmm no visible damage but i have 2 sets of cables so i will try the other one. My UX dash fits the screen nice and so does my M$ dash, its just when i play xbox games that i have this problem.

thanks
« Last Edit: February 12, 2007, 09:15:44 PM by jdogg69 » Logged
jdogg69
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2007, 09:40:33 PM »

ok well i switched cables and moved it in and out and it didnt do anything, i even jiggled the plug around while the game was on to see if anything happens where the black bar was and still nothing. I even tried it on another tv and again the same results. I give up, just dont know what the deal is. The problem only appears when i play an xbox game, it doesnt happen on all games but it is consistent with each game meaning if the problem occurs with one game it will always occur with that same game.

BTW I appreciate all the help
Snafupossum
Administrator
Sr. Modder

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2007, 11:22:32 PM »

try changeing tv singals, go into yur dash settings and see what the video sigal is set at. if your in america or jap it should be NTSC if your anywhere else it should be PAL

jdogg69
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2007, 11:45:00 PM »

in UX system settingsI have "video strandard" set to NTSC M (Im in Canada) and I have "auto switch" set to NO. I have messed around with as many settings as possible with no luck. Could it be a hardware issue? My xbox has the Xcalibur video chip. Again this problems occurs only with some games but it happens enough. The vertical black bar is on the right and is about 3/8 of an inch wide. I have also tried runing the game from UX, XBMC and starting the xbox with the game in the tray.
Snafupossum
Administrator
Sr. Modder

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2007, 01:54:34 AM »

well last thing i can think of is hardware, but...if it was hardware i would think that it would do that for all games.

jdogg69
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2007, 10:26:30 AM »

well thanks for the help i guess its something i will just have to live with, for now anyways. BTW this site rocks!! I have learned everything i know about softmodding from here and now I do it for friends. The next thing on the list is a new hard drive wich seems easy enough to do, right now im just enjoying my never-been-opened xbox Smiley
infamousdice
Super Modder

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2007, 08:27:54 PM »

try that duster cleaner

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: